STAR TREK the enemy of LOST IN SPACE?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Sep 3, 2013.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Some of the orchestral music is good, but there's a little too much of the standard "weird and eerie 50s scifi music" that Roddenberry was so dead-set against having on TOS.

I do love the heck out of the theme song though, especially the later version that started with a countdown.

2. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. Irwin Allen's Jupiter 2 sets both upper deck and lower deck were extremely detailed, very impressive production design.

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. I love the interior of the Jupiter 2, especially the lower deck for some reason, and I love the sleek exterior that can't possibly accomodate them. You have to make the Jupiter 2 about 98 feet in diameter to cram all that stuff in there, and when you do, the front windshield gets way too large and too far out from the pilots' seats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nothing intrinsically wrong with that. Roddenberry was trying to do something new and distinct from what had come before; Allen was just trying to do another of his adventure shows.

Besides, a lot of that "eerie '50s scifi music" was tracked from Bernard Herrmann's score to The Day the Earth Stood Still, and that's one of the great SF film scores of all time.

5. davejames

Ha, yeah I don't know how they hell they were supposed to have fit the Chariot in there. Even if was assembled outside the ship, the parts alone would have still taken up a ton of space.

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Good thing Star Trek never had that problem...oh, wait...

7. davejames

Oh wow, I just watched the Space Creature episode, and apparently there's supposed to be a giant freakin Power Core Room in there as well??

And I forgot about the Space Pod as well. Clearly that ship was supposed to be a whole lot bigger than the model made it look.

8. davejames

I thought they generally did a good job keeping things in check. At least until the Abrams movies.

But then those movies threw all KINDS of logic out the window, so I don't know if you can really count those. Lol

9. Christopher

I call your attention to the forced-perspective corridor extending impossibly far forward from engineering in TMP; the 100-story-plus turboshaft in ST V; and the bottomless pit extending below a catwalk on the lowermost deck of the Enterprise-E in Nemesis.

10. davejames

Yeah the turboshaft scene was pretty ridiculous, but the others were just quick, offhand moments that I don't think stood out nearly as much.

At least not as much as the Power Core room in LIS, or the hugely immense Engineering Room and Shuttlebay in the Abrams movies.

11. Maurice

How about the shuttlecraft interior that clearly doesn't fit into the exterior?

12. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's pretty minor, don't you think?

And in any case that was mainly done to make it easier to shoot on that set.

The J-2 interior/exterior was off by a good 40 to 50%. The shuttlecraft 10 to 20% at most.

Of course at the time the J-2 model was made the ship was supposed to have only a single level. After that was changed, Irwin Allen wasn't willing to spend the money on a new model. Or a new full sized mock-up that would have been needed to go with it.

13. Christopher

The thing that's really out of proportion is how much more some people object to issues in the Abrams movies versus entirely equivalent concerns with the earlier movies or shows. But then, a decade ago, people were applying the exact same double standard to ENT's problems vis-a-vis earlier shows' equivalent problems. And a quarter-century ago they were nitpicking TNG to death the same way. It's not that the newest thing has bigger flaws, it's just that we haven't had as much time to get used to their flaws and gloss them over/rationalize them in our minds.

14. Maurice

My point is that it happens in just about every TV show. Arguably, the hangar deck we see in Trek doesn't fit into the ship, either, and neither do a lot of the movie sets fit into the Enterprise hull.

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

It's a lot more obvious when you see the actors getting in and out of the Jupiter 2 mockup. The exact scale of the Enterprise and its shuttlebay isn't something you're going to notice until you start drawing up your own deck plans.

16. Maurice

I'll bet that most viewers of Lost in Space never noticed, either.

17. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was a viewer of LiS and I noticed. Not when I was 6, but by the time I was 10...

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

It's blatantly obvious even to casual viewing. "Hey, that ship isn't any bigger than my living room...how do they fit all those rooms in there?"

19. Christopher

Yeah... I often wondered how the second level could fit inside the Jupiter II as shown, and the third level was even harder to swallow.

20. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. The season three episode "Space Creature" revealed the Jupiter II third level Power Core which was a set way too big.:brickwall: