Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis dropped from Netflix in U.S.

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Gary Mitchell, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had just started watching Season 6 of SG-1. I'd only seen 4 or 5 episodes that year. I turn on Netflix tonight for my Stargate fix and find out that it has disappeared from Instant Watch. :klingon:

I called customer service and they told me that their license expired for SG-1 and Atlantis. They said that they are trying to get the license renewed. If you have Netflix and are bummed about this like I am :klingon:, call them. The customer service rep told me that if people call them about it they will work harder on getting it back.

Luckily Stargate Universe is still there so I'll be okay for now.

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will probably be back online within the week.

3. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll call them for the hell of it, even though I have both series on DVD. I'd like to keep this on line as much as possible.

4. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

It won't be. Looks like they're moving them to Amazon.

5. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe they were already showing them on Amazon.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Amazon may want the exclusive license to the material; they're trying to draw people into using their service, and exclusive licenses is one of the ways to do it.

The blackout might also have to do with the individual seasons of SGA going on sale at Best Buy this past week.

It's also possible the deal just expired, and they'll renegotiate soon.

7. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Both shows have been on Instant Watch for years, so the contract permitting it to stream has simply expired. SGU was added last, IIRC, during season 2, so that's why it-and the movies, are still up. Not renewing the license is generally a tactic by the studios-they want more money to renew a property, so they don't negotiate before expiration to try and get the best deal they can. And now, with competing services in operation, they get to play one against the other to obtain favorable increases.

8. Ó Méith

Ó Méith Lieutenant Red Shirt

Oh you poor Americans on the UK Netflix we have never had Any Stargate, Star Trek et cetera. The British version pales in comparison, there is hardly any sci fi.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Annoying that this kinda stuff keeps happening. Stargate was one of the big reasons I paid for the service last year, i burned through the entire franchise in fairly short order. Finished a little while back, so this one doesn't hurt me as much, but I had just started Dexter back when they yanked that one...

10. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Oh you poor UKers with your iPlayer and Doctor Who merchandise on every street corner.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've adjusted to the reality that Netflix keeps losing/never gets streaming rights to most everything worth watching. Out of 300 titles in my queue, only 30 are on streaming. If I ever want to revisit the Stargates, I'll cope with the DVDs. It's a pain but I doubt this is Netflix's fault and I'm not signing up for a bunch of services just to see stuff.

Which is why we shouldnt take the bait and reward their tactics by becoming customers.

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Cough up the extra two dollars or whatever it is a month to be able to access Canadian, US, south america, irish netflix - in my house we always find plenty to watch. I have access to stargate, star trek, the star trek movies etc.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And honestly, it just depends on what you're into. I have found no shortage of things to watch on Netflix streaming. I ditched the DVD service over a year ago.

14. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The use of copyright as an unregulated monopoly is not a necessary feature of the entertainment industry but it seems very few can even conceive of alternatives.

Therefore, competition between streaming services means that each service will have its unique mix of exclusive offerings (including original proprietary material,) non-exclusive mass packages of less popular properties offered by owners to all services, and public domain products. In order to have a complete library, the consumer will have to pay more for multiple services. It seems obvious that the streaming services are aiming at a situation similar to premium cable today. If you want both Game of Thrones and Dexter, you have to pay two premiums. This is why they're experimenting with original material.

The thing is, consumers who don't want to pay more money will not have a satisfactory choice in opting for a DVD service only. First of all, there are licensing issues for DVDs as well. At this point, this is mostly a delay in availability, especially for original premium cable offerings. The first season of Homeland is just now available for instance. Second, and more importantly, the difference in costs for streaming versus mail DVDs means that the companies will not continue to invest the same resources in the mail service.

They will not divest themselves of the DVD service most likely, but they will purchase many fewer copies of midlist properties and very few copies of specialty properties. This will result in very long waits for DVDs. If the conservatives succeed in abolishing the USPS, of course, the new privatized service will cost considerably more. In any event, consumers will pay more for less, with some material unavailable and other material on waiting lists.

The mass purchase of just a few properties is already the province of services like Redbox. In the end, even the most popular movies may be unfeasible on mail-order DVD services. At that point, multiple-disc orders for things like TV series may be the mainstay of the mail-order services. Given delays in mailing, even if the USPS survives, this will be an effective rise in prices.

PS When Turner Classic goes online, the situtation will get even tougher for the consumer.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey in Australia we ain't got nothin!