Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Allyn Gibson, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Marvel Comics' big event for 2012, Avengers Vs. X-Men, begins today with Avengers Vs. X-Men #0, from Brian Michael Bendis, Jason Aaron, and Frank Cho.

Anyone going to follow this?

I'm not a Marvel guy, to be honest, but I received issue #0 in my shipment today because I was curious.

It's a book of two halves. The first half, by Bendis and Cho, focuses on the Scarlet Witch. The second half, by Aaron and Cho, focuses on Hope Summers, the Mutant Messiah.

As someone who last picked up an Avengers book with Avengers/JLA #4, the first half of the book was incomprehensible.

I have no idea what's happened with the Avengers. I don't understand why Scarlet Witch seems to be an amnesiac or why Vision is such a dick to her. To be frank, I'm really not sure what any of this had to do with anything.

I'm on slightly better footing for the second half, because I'm a little more aware of what's been happening in the X-Men's world. The mutant population is down to about 200, Scott Summers has taken one group of mutants out to San Francisco where they have a refuge, Wolverine has taken another group of mutants to New York where they're trying to uphold Professor X's ideals. (Basically, Schism split the X-Men in two, with Scott taking after Magneto and Wolverine taking after Xavier.)

There was nothing wrong with this. Hope feels like she's trapped on the island of Utopia and she wants to do something, anything, while Scott is a serious dick to her and basically grounds her, whereupon she goes off and does what she was going to do in the first place, which was to fly off into San Francisco and beat up some bad guys. And then Scott and Emma turn up to take her home and ground her. Again.

So, is issue #0 any good?

I felt unsatisfied after reading it, to be honest. Again, not being a Marvel reader is probably going to be a big part of that, because I had no emotional connection to any of the characters or their situations. Aaron does a better job in the second half of making his story accessible to the non-X-Men reader, while Bendis' story in the first half assumes that the non-Avengers reader knows the backstory.

Unless there's some deeper meaning to Bendis' story here and it makes sense around AVX #9, I think AVX #1 next week will make a better entry point for the casual reader into the event than AVX #0.

2. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

will there be a TV show on this?

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was going to start a thread but someone pointed out about a third thread with Avengers in the title might confuse people so didn't do it, thinking the Marvel catch all thread would do, but yes very much looking forward to this as mentioned in the Marvel thread. On my way to the comic shop in a bit to pick up issue zero!

@Allyn, if you've not followed Avengers or X-Men in the last ten years or so a lot of this is going to go over your head frankly! It is the culmination of a lot of story lines and issues that have transpired over that period of time.

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'd advise reading Avengers #24.1 before Avengers VS X-Men #0.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Eh. I prefer to imagine the X-Men Universe as being separate from the rest of the main Marvel Universe (i.e. the Avengers, Spider-Man, and the Fantastic Four). So a crossover like this doesn't really interest me.

Plus I'm not really digging what's currently going on with the X-Men anyway.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

No. This is a comic book event.

7. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've always felt this way also. Though for my part it's probably a little down to the "realism" aspect that Singer tried to instill in his movies, versus the more fantastical elements present in Thor and the likes.

(yes, I know we're discussing the comic universe here, so sue me for being re-introduced to X-Men via the movies :P )

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm trade waiting on this.

9. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I'd love if they release the whole thing in one trade, but knowing Marvel, it'll be three overpriced volumes.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Possibly, though I think they may do two. Marvel's solicitation for Avengers Vs. X-Men #5 calls it "fiery conclusion of Act One," so it would make sense to do issues 0-5 (six issues) in one trade, then issues 6-12 in the next.

Marvel will definitely do Premiere Hardcovers first, though, and then trades four months later, and then possibly an omnibus hardcover eighteen months after that, because that's the way Marvel rolls. :)

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well, nothing really happened in #0... it was basically an introduction to the characters for someone unfamiliar with them.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Actually, I said that another active thread with "Avengers" in the title would raise the amount to FOUR threads at once.

There is this thread, the movie thread, the A:EMH season two thread, and the Heroic Age/Avengers thread.

Maybe it's time for the "Heroic Age" thread to get that thread title change that we've talked about (my suggestion was "Marvel on-going discussion- forerly 'Heroic Age'") and then merge this thread with that one?

13. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I'll second that.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

This wouldn't be a problem if we had a Comics forum... :shifty: :D

15. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay with scarlet witch coming back is this a possible reset to everything that happened since HOUSE of M?

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Possibly so, however, waiting on the trade also allows one to know if the "event" is a true event with repercussions that may last awhile vs there being a big ole reset button like with Fear Itself. Where there really isn't anything of consequence.
    Save oneself the money then and not get the trade.

I've been reading too long and the industry has built this jadedness into it's readership base. I'm past just blindly buying it cause they say it's "an important event".

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Avengers Vs X-Men" is something very different than say "Siege" or "Fear Its Self" in the sense that like I said in my first post, this is the culmination of events for both groups and in the Marvel Universe as a whole for the last ten years or so. Pretty much since Bendis took over Avengers and did the Avengers Disassembled story line. I understand waiting for the trade (which will most likely be in released in Jan 2013, I think the final issue of this is in November or something) and normally I would do the same, but this is something that I've looked forward to for quite some time since I've been following both franchises.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

#0 was terrible. Too much Bendisspeak and Cho was undoubtedly the wrong artist to start off with. He overplays the musclature of the character that it borders on parody.

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

eh, for a #0 i thought it was pretty decent. i'm not a fan of Bendis on Avengers but his part of AvX #0 and Avengers #24.1 were enjoyable IMO. i'm just happy to see the original Vision back. Wanda too.

20. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I've not followed the X-Men verse for awhile I guess, and the last I actively read was Whedon's run (I know, forever ago right?!), but...

Cyclops following Magneto's path and Wolverine upholding Xavier's ideals? Sounds like bullshit to me.