Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Apart from when they teleport past all that. ;)

I've finally found myself a project! It all started when I thought, 'Hmm, wouldn't it be nice to have a giant Yin-Yang symbol floating in the sky?' (That took a lot of shearing sheep and killing squid). I then had the idea of placing my portals to the Nether and Aether in the respective dark/light side 'eyes'. That hit a bit of a snag when my Aether portal dropped my out on a tiny platform miles from anything, but I've since discovered how to swap out Aethers from different world saves.

Finally, I began work on my first 'castle' underneath the Yin-Yang. It's been fun but exhausting work, and its still a WIP, but here are the results so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haven't done much with the ground floor (still living in a cave house atm) but the first floor garden is pretty much done, save for maybe a water feature.

2. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has anybody seen the "Better Than Wolves" mod? Some of it is silly, but the bulk of it is jaw-dropping. Fully-functioning windmills, water wheels, elevators, cauldrons (for cooking large quantities of food), mechanical lights, saw mills, ropes for descending into caves, etc... I'm stunned by this one.

Yogscast's mod spotlight:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVVrZqHqA8[/yt]

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've seen it and I really love some of those mods. The guy apparently REALLY hates wolves though.

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's some great stuff in that mod (and some not so great), but I've read that the guy who made it is kind of a jerk. :shrug:

According to Notch, we'll be able to claim land in 1.8. He gave no suggestion how that will work or if it will prevent monster spawning, but it seems like it could lead to a huge change to the game (along with all the others).

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I think I'm most interested in seeing what the new blocks and mobs are. More materials to build with would be awesome. Claiming land would also be interesting.

7. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I'm still curious about the Endermen. WILL THEY BE ABLE TO STEAL BLOCKS!?

8. Robert Maxwell

No. But they will steal... YOUR SOUL!

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Itisnotlogical

I hope not, I like the name enderman. Petitions almost never work, especially online ones.

11. Cutter John

They'll always be Endermen to me! :wah:

Anyway, I'd like to nominate the legal team over at Bethesda games for the 'Douchebags of ther Month' award.

http://notch.tumblr.com/

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  12. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, I heard about that. They think they own the word "Scrolls"? Really??

13. Itisnotlogical

I'll just navigate to the top of the page using the manual navigation bar, then look up the Dead Sea Parchment. But only if Bethesda hasn't copyrighted any of those words, either.

14. Rowan Sjet

Considering I've never worked with redstone circuitry before, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with my next project: A 4x4 Horizontal Piston Door in the floor of my castle, to go down to a basement level. I can find lots of tutorials on youtube for 4x4 Vertical Doors but none for Horizontal so I'll be winging it a bit.

I can post pictures of my work so far if anyone has any advice, that would definitely be appreciated.

15. Robert Maxwell

I did a 2x2 vertical double-door last night. It was actually easier than you'd think. I imagine doing a horizontal door isn't that much different except you have to run wire to each piston. Power seems to flow vertically just fine with stacked pistons but I don't know that it flows horizontally with adjacent ones.

16. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

17. Cutter John

18. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of rivers. Helps make the landscape feel more dynamic. With that, I hope comes water currents. Though maybe I'm asking for a bit much as that would mean an entire overhaul of how water works.

19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was going to say that rivers seem kind of weird because the oceans are so small, but then Notch tweeted that oceans would be deeper as well as this map of what the biomes should look like in 1.8.

My current plan is to make a tunnel in the Nether about 10 minutes long and exit into the main world with nothing but a bed once 1.8 is released. Who knows, I may never even bother returning to spawn.

20. Rowan Sjet

That's awesome, it always annoyed me how we didn't have any big oceans.

What would happen if I used a map editor to delete everything except a small area around my spawn for 1.8? Would the areas I'd already explored but deleted revert to how they were once I went back out, or would it all update with the new biomes/ruins etc?