Lost 5x13: "Some Like It Hoth"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 15, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

40.3%
  2. Above Average

41.9%
  3. Average

17.7%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for Lost 5x13: "Some Like It Hoth".
    [highlight]***SPOILERS AHEAD***[/highlight]

"Some Like It Hoth"

[​IMG]

"Suspicions about a possible breach intensify after Ben is taken from the infirmary, and a reluctant Miles is forced to work with Hurley when he's asked to deliver an important package to a top Dharma official." - Wikipedia

2. Agent Richard07

Just a reminder, we won't be getting a new episode on April 22nd. Instead, we'll get another recap special called Lost: The Story of the Oceanic 6.

3. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

I haven't read spoilers on this, so I don't know for sure......but I'm wondering if the title "Some Like It Hoth" might have something to do with the plot twist at the end of Empire Strikes Back....you know, someone finding out that another character is his father.

In this case, I think it's pretty clear which characters I might be talking about, as it's been speculated about here before.

4. Agent Richard07

^ I think this is one of the best titles the've ever had. I also suspect that it has a double meaning. Your speculation might be one of them.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't know why they call it Hoth, it's more like Coldth!

:shifty:

6. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Thank you, he'll be here all evening.

:p

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't have anywhere else to go. :(

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

KATE: "I love you."
    JACK: "I know."

BEN: "The possibility of successfully navigating through the smoke monster is approximately 3,720 to 1."
    LOCKE: "Never tell me the odds."

JULIET: "The cave is collapsing."
    SAWYER: "This is no cave."

9. Agent Richard07

More Star Wars fun...

[​IMG]

10. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

Excellent episode. Can't believe the 100th is just around the corner.

11. Agent Richard07

I gave it an "average". That's not necessarily bad, it just means that it was a decent enough installment, but wasn't anything special.

Anyway, it looks like we got not one, but TWO Star Wars references and chrisspringob was right about one of them. I thought Miles was gonna tell Chang that he was his son, but it didn't happen. Oh well.

Looks like we got another surprise too. There seems to be a third party at work that isn't Ben or Widmore. I wonder who it could be.

By the way, what did Miles say about the 3.2 million dollars? I didn't catch what was said.

12. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

And that was right on the money!

I voted excellent- it was great having a real backstory for Miles.

13. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

He wanted double from Bram's group (Widmore offered 1.6 mil)

So that's how he came up with that number for Ben!

14. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted Above Average. This was a very good, workman like episode. I especially liked the stuff with Miles, Hurley, and Dr. Candle. The flashbacks were hit-and-miss but it's setting up this "evil faction" stuff up nicely. Jack was good in this episode too and Kate is as dumb as ever.

15. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Those other people could be working for Ben on the outside, a possibility.

I gave this episode an Excellent, good reveals here about Mile's past and his family, they all lived on the Island!

I hope we get some Faraday answers next episode, like what he has been doing these past 3 years off island. My theory is that he told his mother everything, and that is how she knows the future.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

3.5/4 Another enjoyable "Dharma Era" episode!

It's about time we finally learn what Miles' story is, 1.5 years after his introduction! And we get confirmation he's Chang's kid. Sweet. We ALSO see the construction of the Swan. I bet they stuck the worker's body in the Orchid teleporter and shot it to Tunisia to get rid of the evidence.

I enjoyed the Hurley and Miles pairing. They make a good comedic team.

Do they intentionally make Kate into the most annoying character ever? Hey Roger don't worry about your mysteriously abducted dying son I'm sure he's okay wink wink nudge nudge say no more no more!

The biggest shocker this evening: Widmore is NOT behind Illana and the "shadow of the statute" conspiracy. So that leaves A) Ben, B) Modern Day Dharma, C) unknown new party. Given that Ben knew the exact amount to offer Miles in early S4 it would seem that these people are with him. But that doesn't explain their post-crash actions against Ben or why Ben killed Cesar. Unless Cesar really was an innocent and not in on it? But why would Ben be mysteriously fleeing the survivors then? Could this be a collection of all the Natives exiled from the Island over the years that Ben is now offering a ticket back home just like he's getting?

FINALLY we see Faraday again. Yeesh. I was all excited about finally meeting the DeGroots. Hopefully in a Faraday flashback. And I would love to see Hanso too! So he's been working with the Dharma founders. My first thought was 'Faraday IS Gerald DeGroot!' but then I remembered he would have to have travelled to 1970 or sooner for that.

17. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Above Average

A good, light-hearted episode. It was nice to see Miles' backstory and finally confirm that Candle is Miles' dad.

18. Agent Richard07

That's a good theory.

19. Agent Richard07

I thought about Modern Day Dharma as a possibility.

20. Jaron

Jaron Captain Captain

Miles gave Ben the amount, and Ben replied "Why 3.2?" They might be working for Ben, but we can't really be sure.

As for Cesar, he could very well be the one passenger who actually thought he was going to Guam.