Cosmos returning to TV -thanks to Family Guy?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Aug 5, 2011.

1. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Seth MacFarlane just gained a bunch of respect. Fox has announced that he will be producing a followup to Carl Sagan's classic 1980 science series Cosmos for the National Geographic Channel. The original producers of Sagan's series - including his widow - are involved.

Sounds way cool and maybe we'll see a new DVD edition of the original show, too. (Likely not a Blu-ray, though, because it was partially produced on videotape.)

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsideth...ots-carl-sagans-cosmos-for-fox-no-really.html

So why is this in the SF/F section? Because Cosmos was one of the first shows of its type to cross the line between documentary and SF. I first learned about it via an article in Starlog magazine that ran when the show first aired, because the show utilized (for the time) state of the art special effects, as well as SF-like sequences (in particular a simulated space voyage) to allow Sagan to tell his story. It'll be interesting to see of Cosmos 2.0 follows the same path, though if MacFarlane is a fan - and we've seen him give props to Doctor Who and Star Wars on Family Guy - I think we're in for a treat.

Alex

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I already watch a ton of Cosmos type shows - The Universe, Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, Naked Science, the list goes on - but I'll definitely check this one out, too, even if a show that's palatable to a broadcast audience probably is just going to skim the surface of what the other series have already tackled in more depth.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

sweet!

5. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    There's times when watching McFarlane's stuff that you see glimpses of a deeper personality than fart jokes and homicidal toddlers.

I'm glad he's using the street cred he's built up to do something like this.

6. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Oh, that sounds awesome!

7. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of my Dad's favourite science shows. I still have his off-air recordings on tape he did of some repeat showing back in the early 80's. He used to quote something Carl Sagan apparently says in opening. "If you want to understand the universe, first you have to bake an apple pie." Clearly talking my Dad's language there!

A great one, if you ever get chance to see it, from the 2000's, was "Journey to the Edge of the Universe". Channel 4 here in Britain, but an international co-production given the absolutely stunning CG effects. Discovery Channel maybe? Sean Pertwee narrated it for us and it's basically one long journey from the camera's perspective. The Solar System, onto neighbouring star systems based on currently accurate info, imaginary warp or FTL jumps past other galaxies, all the way back to the big bang. It's a fantastic first person ride that's stayed with me. It crops up on More 4 and no matter how many times I see it, it's just so easy to get caught up in it.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Close. "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." :)

Set to music.

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Phew! That makes a lot more sense than the idea of understanding the universe via apple pie! :rommie:

I was worred for ole Carl there for a sec...

10. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad to hear it'll be hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson. From the interviews I've seen of him and from following him on Twitter, he definitely has a way of presenting scientific information in a straightforward, interesting way.

11. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

12. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like Sagan's screen presence and good-naturedness, and Cosmos is inventive and can be fun, but I never liked these kind of shows. They're just too thin, like someone filmed a Wikipedia article.

13. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

14. RTOlson

RTOlson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After I saw the announcement, I noticed that the original series is currently on Hulu. I've heard so much about the series, I will check it out and look forward to the MacFarlane version (although I'm also willing to make "Fox News vs. science" jokes).