Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

True enough. But then have to go get it again once I hit RA. Fine for some one-off stuff like a weapon, fairly annoying for things like the Breen set, where you'd have to go get them all :)

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

That won't be much of an issue after F2P with the new episode progression, since the Breen episodes won't unlock until something like level 41. ;)

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

if it ever gets around to coming out... Kinda feels like if they don't make it before KOTOR goes live, it's gonna mean bad things for STO's survival. Get people into trying it before they jump to KOTOR, they might stick around. Offer them both at the same time, suspect people will pick the shiny new game with potential over one that feels like it's on the downslope already.

4. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Or wait until the hype for TOR has died down and people start looking for free alternatives... But that would put release way into 2012 which won't happen.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

DC Online also appears to be getting some good buzz in their F2P model, was thinking of checking that one out. Was a huge fan of KOTOR games, so definitely interested in that, as well.

As more and more games switch towards the F2P model, it'll come down to things like content, end-game, crafting, socializing, value... Areas that sadly, STO doesn't seem to be focusing on at the moment. Doubt that grind and micro-transactions are going to be the big draw they seem to think. If STO was an early adopter of the F2P model, they might have had a chance, but they seem to have missed the boat there...

Really has the feel of something that's going to just fall flat at relaunch, at which time they'll try to come crawling back towards a fanbase they just spent the last 8 months or so pissing off and driving away.

STO has been my first real experience with MMOs, and while it was fun at first, I'm afraid it's really leaned more towards regret lately. I've enjoyed the limited amount of group participation in this game, and while this has been kind of a hybrid, I think I'm happier with single-player games. Much cheaper, with a known set cost upfront, and it is what it is. Play it until you're bored or beat it, replay it occasionally if it was good, and move on. Not a big fan of the "give us $300 upfront and hope you get what you pay for later, and we don't fold up the game or change it to drive you away" model that seems to be running here.

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I really want new content.

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

No kidding. I have a hard time believing that people are actually still paying the monthly sub fee at this point. Anyone that's not a LTS and still paying has pretty much shown they won't quit no matter what, I guess...

8. Timelord Victorious

Some news about the next veteran rewards:
    http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2678

All great. The one sour point is still the screwed up 500 day reward.

Looking forward to my Android Boff, my exlusive ship skin, uniform and ultimately exclusive veteran ship variant.

9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Most of my devotion to the game is based on my love of trek in general.

I was hesitant to get the LTS because I wasn't sure if STO would survive. After STO goes F2P, I'm considering creating a free acct and temporarily shelfing my gold membership. Once I see how things work out, I'll either choose to keep the gold membership or convert it to F2P.

10. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I plan to keep my sub going after f2p, mainly because it's so cheap (working out at about £6 a month as I'm on the pre-release annual) and over half that is paid back to me in C Points with the stipend.

11. Rocketeer

As predicted I received enough xp from the DOFF assignments to make Captain (actually Captain 2). So basically I went from LC2 to CAPT2 using xp from the DOFF assiignments. I had a Borg incursion in there plus the one of the Klingon storyline missions. If a person was actually cranking out missions while letting the DOFFs run full steam, he could hit VA pretty soon. I'm currently running 23 DOFF assignments.

I got a couple of schematics(?) from DOFF assignments, Quantum and Heavy Disruptor turrets. Unfortunately they failed on the Heavy Plasma turret and went to sickbay for a while. I assuming that if they succeed in making the turrets that they will be similar to the Light Phaser Turret bonus item which is a tactical module.

If anyone is interested in trading DOFFs, I'm looking for Rare or Very Rare Tactical and Security DOFFs. I have some Engineering, Operations, Science, Medical and Civilians to trade. I'm also one short on Technician Engineers which I need for an advanced Impulse Engine.

If you're interesting in getting some common DOFFs, I sometimes purge them from my roster to make room for others. Just let me know.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  12. Rocketeer

13. Timelord Victorious

Not really. You are still better off with drops and mission rewards to stick with in the lower levels. What you miss get from the exchange.
    Save the Dl for endgame gear you will keep.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Soon my TNG expy crew shall be complete!

(crosses fingers) T5 Exeter, T5 Exeter, T5 Exeter (what a guy can hope can't he)

It's probably based on the new material for the Enterprise-F and the +1 ships.

I wonder what those will be.

15. PsychoPere

Might as well give up that hope for a T5 Exeter. CBS has nixed a T5 Constitution in the past, apparently on more than one occasion, even though the game's lore with "modular shipbuilding" already provides a built-in excuse for all these "old" model ships flying around - and even though they allowed an NX "Replica" into the game!

16. Timelord Victorious

I rekon the exklusive ship variant could be a special version of the Odyssey class... mabe the round saucer variant everyone wanted. won't find out for nearly a year!

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well from the most recent F2P blog fleet crafting may be viable again, since now crafting will use something made from dilithium which can be traded to other characters.

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2681

18. PsychoPere

The F2P date has been revealed: January 17, 2012.

19. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't know this, but you can level up to max and get all the gear in a day!!! I think someone was misquoted on this. Stormshade said that with a six pack of red bull you can do the same in a weekend.

20. Rocketeer

I took a look at the dilithium exchange but was afraid to do anything. The help ? doesn't work. I can't tell if I'm trying to buy or sell dilithium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.