Sovereign class variants?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by cwl, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

I think, as mentioned by others, that the Sovereign was intended to replace the Excelsior.

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

,,,Of course, in real life, this would be something of a problem because the Excelsior was established as a commonplace background vessel and something of a workhorse, whereas the Sovereign was a hero vessel and TPTB would thus have been reluctant to "dilute" the heroic value by presenting the newer type in greater numbers or in background roles.

Then again, TOS featured the hero ship type in all sorts of guest and background roles. And the Excelsior, too, was at one stage considered for a hero role. She was first created to be a villain (which may have directly contributed to her less than flattering "bully" image where the grace of Kirk's ship is replaced by the impression of bulging muscles, a thick neck, etc.). But when Kirk lost his hero ship, the existing detailed Excelsior model was a natural candidate for his next heroic ride, until different creative decisions were made.

Timo Saloniemi

3. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

wow which episode was this in?

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It wasn't in any episode. It's a fan-made design.

5. cwl

cwl Commander Red Shirt

she's a beauty^^ one of the best fan designs I've seen in a while.

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I believe the creator was on this board many years ago, when it was posted here.

It was a good 10 years ago though, so I could be wrong.

If I hadn't turned my AMT Ent-E into a Romulan BOP, I might've done the Ronin.

7. Matt4511

Matt4511 Captain Captain

Timo, the other problem with viewing the Sovereign as a replacement for the Excelsior, as opposed to the Galaxy, is that they all seem to be capable of filling similar roles — they are large, multi-mission capable explorers and heavy combatants (adjusted for their own eras, of course).

But as you correctly note, by the late 24th Century, the Excelsiors had obviously become a workhorse. If Starfleet sought to replace them en masse by that point, they'd probably design a ship that filled the light cruiser (combat) and general support (peacetime) roles. I see the Nebula and Intrepids as more logical candidates for the ship that will replace the aging Excelsiors by the late 24th century than the large, advanced, heavy-combatant Sovereigns or Galaxies. Excelsiors are just too far down the duty rung to warrant such enormous "replacements."

8. Ar-Pharazon

^ Using the US Navy as an example, ship's roles change over the course of time.

In WWII we still had a large number of batlecruisers & battleships and though they tried updating the Iowa class for modern use, more out of nostalgia I think, they really didn't fit what they needed a ship to do in the 21st century.

Plus they were falling apart, structurally speaking and risked major damage every time they used the 16" guns (USS Defiant?).

Same as what you're saying Matt4511, lighter, quicker ships are the way they're going for the bulk of the fleet.

9. C.E. Evans

Perhaps by the 25th-Century, Sovereign-class ships will be as commonplace as the Excelsior-class was during the 24th-Century.

10. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

The only thing I dislike about the Sovereign class is it's limitations for deep space exploration. It's not exactly a ship designed with exploration, diplomacy and scientific discovery in mind. Mind you, neither was the Galaxy class, although there was something friendlier about the Galaxy class design.

The Sovereign could be equipped with all the facilities needed for deep space exploration, but at it's core it's a tactical cruiser built to take a pounding and put up a fight. The sleeker and more muscular design of the ship compared to the likes of the Galaxy class, speaks volumes about it's function (add to that the darker internal design).

Starfleet should build a class of ship that has the scientific facilities of the Nebula class, the fortitude of the Galaxy class, the speed of the Intrepid class and the firepower of the Defiant class. I mean the Prometheus came pretty close, but it just isn't big enough to house a regular crew compliment along with the facilities needed for a ship of exploration.

11. Ar-Pharazon

^ The Nebula could have everything a Galaxy has, except the neck.

It would depend on what was put inside.

12. C.E. Evans

I never saw any reason to think that the Sovereign-class couldn't be assigned to deep-space exploration missions (or any other mission, for that matter) during times of peace.

A lot of what we know about particular designs is either fan-speculation or comes from offscreen sources. Only a small handful of designs have been said to have a specific purpose onscreen, and neither the Galaxy- or Sovereign-classes are among them, IIRC. Discounting speculation and conjecture, both seem to be large multipurpose vessels that can do anything a story requires them to do.

13. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

What limitations?

She's got space aplenty for everything. We are given no indication that this space would not be useful in exploration or diplomacy - quite to the contrary, the ship in one of the movies features extensive diplomatic facilities including a dining lounge and a small orchestra, much like the E-D did in "Sarek".

She's got big shuttle facilities and a wide range of auxiliaries, which is good for exploration but AFAWK not for much else.

She's got big engines, which supposedly are associated with high speed, which in turn is essential for exploration (because you don't get to unexplored space if you are slow).

Apart from this, she only has what every other starship has: phasers all across her hull, a few torpedo launchers, some shielding, transporters, crew facilities including berthing and entertainment, medical facilities, and manufacturing capabilities (such as when she provides period clothing for our heroes).

She's a bigger target than any other known starship when viewed from the side! (Well, the three-nacelled E-D from "All Good Things.." perhaps notwithstanding.)

Timo Saloniemi

14. Ar-Pharazon

In theory, we could have a Defiant class with no real weapons, just full of sensors. It could be used like an SR-71.

15. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I think STO had a Sovereign with a roll bar connecting the two nacelles towards the aft.

And FASA had the Royal Sovereign...