7-9-13

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by trekkiedane, Sep 7, 2013.

1. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not this crap again. Use YYYY-MM-DD. Then nobody would be confused. There's even a ISO spec saying it's the preferred format. (And before you say it, no, nobody uses YYYY-DD-MM, it's not a valid format anywhere. :p)

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

3. B.J.

ISO 8601. "The purpose of this standard is to provide an unambiguous and well-defined method of representing dates and times, so as to avoid misinterpretation of numeric representations of dates and times, particularly when data is transferred between countries with different conventions for writing numeric dates and times."

And I don't know why you mentioned China. They don't use a 4-place year, but it's still not in Y-D-M order.

Edit: Wait, maybe you didn't notice that I reversed the day and month in my parenthetical statement?

4. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

You are refering to the English transcription by L.W. King from 1915, I suppose? He accidentially left out law #12, gave the actual #13 erroneousely the number 12 and then continued correctly with 14.
    There is a correct and complete translation by Gressmann from 1926 available in German.

The law King left out is: (please pardon my somewhat free phrasing - I am unfamiliar with English legal terms)

#12: if the seller has died meanwhile, the purchaser is allowed to take from his house a sum 5 times worth the sum of what the legal fight is about.

Then follows #13 (wrongly numbered 12 by King): If the witnesses be not at hand, then shall the judge set a limit at the expiration of 6 months. ... etc.etc.

After that comes #14 (correctly numbered again): if anyone steal the minor son of another, he shall be put to death. (Here King makes a slight mistake: it's actually: if anyone steals a freeborn minor (freeborn as opposed to a slave which case will be dealt woth in rule #15)

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

This is the anniversary of Star Treks's broadcast I suppose.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Wasn't the Anniversary the 8th September 1966 (US time)

7. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    ^

That is correct. Or, to put it more to the point 08-09-1966.

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

My wife and I got married on the "magical" date of 07-07-07 but it was't intentional. It's just what our venue had available.

9. rhubarbodendron

I wouldn't mind the date if only the man of my dreams were available. Alas, he's married (to someone else). But with a little luck they'll soon invent beaming and then I can get a transporter clone of him :D

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

^but what if you get the evil version.

11. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

No one should get married this year! the number 13 will doom the marriage with redshirtyness.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Put it at the top of your list!

13. rhubarbodendron

It'd still be worth a try. He's intelligent and might be able to change.

14. B.J.

Bah. The number 13 has been extremely lucky for me. I met my wife on a 13th, proposed on a 13th, and got married on a 13th (this Friday is our 16th anniversary).