Leaving in an escape pod in Cause and Effect...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Tom Riley, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

I was just watching Cause and Effect and I thought of something... After the nacelle had been hit and they realized they were going to lose the ship, Riker calls for "all hands to emergency escape pods!" Well... I was wondering... If someone HAD made it to an escape pod in the time between Riker made the announcement and the ship exploded, what would have happened to them? I understand, there's only about 20 seconds between Riker making the announcement and the ship exploding, it's very unlikely anyone would have time to make it into one and also unlikely that it would have had power to exit the ship and get far enough away... but IF...

Consider... if the ship being destroyed ruptured the space-time continuum as Data and Geordi suggested, and avoiding destruction kept them from repeating the loop, then would a person making it out in an escape pod be free from the loop before the rest of the ship? If that were the case, would they have been removed from the ship during the next loop or would they be... duplicated? :rommie: This is just a hypothetical question I thought of while I was watching it. I'm curious what you guys think. :p

Here's the clip, for reference.
    http://youtu.be/-cC7QmQ4Nzo

Edit: I don't remember how to embed youtube videos using BB code... never tried to before... (>_>)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Given that there weren't multiple copies of the Bozeman hanging around the area, also that nobody said, "Captain, I'm reading 17 sets of Enterprise debris!" presumably the distortion somehow destroyed anything in the area somehow. Also, given that the temporal distortion somehow disabled engines, the escape pods would have no chance of escaping the anomaly anyway.

3. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I wondered the same thing when I first saw it. It just occurred to me, what if someone left the ship via shuttlecraft for a routine mission before things went south?

4. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a similar situation with the reset in Voyager's Year Of Hell. Janeway tells the other ships to deactivate their protection from the effect, but whats to say everyone heard the message?

The Enterprise didn't exist for 17 days. The shuttle would have returned to the area and no ship would be waiting for them. Go for help I suppose

The Bozeman though is more complex. For 99% of the time it was trapped there was no Enterprise for it to crash into to create the incident, so why was it in a loop?

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is an episode that has a high "cool factor" when you first watch it. I especially enjoyed all the alternate camera angles, but doesn't hold to any sort of scrutiny.

Moral of the story: It's all Fraiser's fault!

6. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

Only thing I can say about that is perhaps the Bozeman was pulled FORWARD in time for that initial crash and then was looping for the next 17 days...

7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or, it's another time deal, the anomaly existing in two different times & the presence of both ships creating an event which loops them back to a set point. For all we know, even the passage of time on the Bozeman could have been different

Short answer, when writing time sci-fi, you can bend all sorts of reality

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It has always been the Bozeman entering the anomaly and on the other side, 70 years later, crashing into the Enterprise. And then both ships where trapped in several loops for 17 days.

Think about it, there can't be a scenario where the Bozeman doesn't crash into the Enterprise. Because then the Bozeman would simply leave the anomaly and there wouldn't be an explosion causing a loop.