So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

As Marvel graphic novels go, that was better. Of course it's Noughties Marvel, so superior. Thor Reborn by J Michael Straczynski and Olivier Coipel was really nice. Great artwork, a script that gets the importance of mythology, and lovely quotable lines and sentiments.

It works well as a jumping-on point for the likes of myself who are less familiar with the series- there's only one bit that obviously hangs over from elsewhere (something about Tony Stark having done something with DNA samples) but it's not a big problem.

The highlight was probably the Medicines Sans Frontieres chapter in Africa, though at the same time this felt a little uncomfortable in the sense of "look, this is a blonde blue-eyed actual fucking Norse god solving Africa?!" thing, but thankfully this was then actually addressed by the characters in the story.

Good mix of humour and epicness, love what happens with Asgard and the town meeting... I like the female Loki too.

It didn't really have a proper ending, but, as a jumping-on point that doesn't matter, as the whole purpose is make me want to read on, and it certainly did that. I like this Thor...

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just started my second trek novel, Avatar II

3. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Alas, I must sometimes read books to get insight into my illness. Not unlike many other psyches. I just finished reading "The Psychogenesis of Mental Disease" (Collected Works of C. G. Jung, Volume 3) and recommend it only to the very serious people such as family members or people with the illness who have the experience and training to appreciate insight. Maybe I should read his book on UFOs to provide for less serious material.

4. Lonemagpie

Iron Man: Extremis by Warren Ellis and Adi Granov is the best of the three Marvel collections I'd read over the last few days. It really is a great jumping on point and intro to Iron Man, which relaunches the character for the modern age (so well that its flashback origin for him is used as the basis for the first Iron Man movie's origin act.)

The art is lovely, and the story very grounded in the real world - in sometimes uncomfortable ways. It's also very much a solid self-contained story. All in all, a fantastic entry for us casual readers or newbies, and I'd like to think longtime fans love it too.

5. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

It was also the basis of the plot for the third IM film.....

6. Lonemagpie

Haven't seen that one yet. Hearing that it derives from this book makes me want to.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started reading STTNG: Cold Equations: The Persistance of Memory this afternoon. I've been looking forward to this one for a while. I'm very curious to see exactly how the big event plays out for myself.

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your in for a real treat The Cold Equations books are a fantastic Journey of Data's return. I just finished reading StarTrek SCE Things past I really liked the stories in this collection,I was lucky enough to find several Startrek SCE books at the used book store. I look forward to reading more SCE adventures.:):techman:

9. CaptKirk

CaptKirk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Decided to read the New Frontier "Treason" and then will have only "Blind Man's Bluff" to finish the series.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Captain America: The Winter Soldier Book One last night.
    My review:
    My rating: 5/5

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I just started "Oh Myyy: There Goes the Internet" - George Takei.

12. Reanok

I'm reading Star Trek SCE Miracle Workers.I'm really enjoying reading Interphase this is a really neat story.

13. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

The other day I finished Stargate SG-1: Valhalla by Tim Waggoner.

I'm now reading the Mass Effect comic Evolution by Mac Walters, John Jackson Miller & Omar Francia.

14. Lonemagpie

The Hunter by Richard Stark, who of course was really a psudonymous Donald E Westlake wasn't too bad. First of the Parker novels, and filmed as both Point Blank and Payback, it's short and snappy. Somewhat uncomfortable in places, given the amount of woman-punching that goes on in it, so I can't say I enjoyed it that much, but it's a notable step in the development of hardboiled crime, and the character of Parker certainly is memorable. If the series that it so nicely spawned is less misogynistic it'll be worth reading, but I suspect it's a product of its time...

15. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

If you can, do check out Darwyn Cooke's graphic novel adaptations of The Hunter, The Outfit, The Score and Slayground. Beautiful books and some really smart adaptations.

16. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Still trudging through Children of the Storm. Enjoying it, but not getting the time to read these past few weeks.

I did knock out Doctor Who: Time Trips: Handful of Stardust. Light, fun, a neat little ending. Not the best story in this line of eBook novellas and noticeably the shortest, but I liked the focus on Peri.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just started the next book in the DS9 Relaunch tonight: Abyss.

18. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read 100 issues of The Walking Dead and 8 issues of Saga.

I'm still trying to finish The Abominable by Dan Simmons, but the technical terms make me want to scream.

19. Reanok

:techman:I just finished reading the Star Trek Sce/Ds9 Crossover Cold Fusion I've been wanting to read this story for a long time .I really liked Keith's story with Nog showing just the Da Vinci crew Just how good an engineer he is thanks to his time working with Chief Miles O'Brien .And spending time on Empok Nor.Just because he was a Ferengi doesn't mean he couldn't do his job and the prejudice some of the Starfleeet crew have against the Ferengi was handled really well in this story.

20. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of Christopher L. Bennett's Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel.

Currently reading Deep Space Nine: Rising Son by S.D. Perry, and Without Their Permission by Alexis Ohanien. I'm really loving Ohanien's style! A very accessible book.