Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Just so.

I mean doing a straight remake of the original trilogy with brand new Luke, Han, Leia, Darth Vader, I could see moviemakers doing that, but that's precisely what they're not doing - it's episodes seven, eight and nine, which implicitly means it's in continuity with the stories of episodes one through six. Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker as a mentor character who passes on the torch to the new, younger cast makes a lot of sense.

2. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

With how big a massive/monster a Star Wars movie production is, they should be ramping up preproduction really soon. Summer of 2015 isn't really that far off.

3. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Time to re open the Star Wars Subforum!!!!!

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I firmly expect an announcement of this type no later than summer '13 but ideally sooner.

I'm not sure how these monster deals work but I'd guess that there are some final "i's" to dot and "t's" to cross in the legal departments perhaps also HR? That may take a few weeks and once thats done we'll hear about full blown scouting and pre-production on Episode 7.

5. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

If they're serious about this release date, than the production will have to start no later than next summer. There's still more than enough time for preproduction, I believe.

AOTC started shooting in summer of 2000, with reshoots in early '01. ROTS was handled similarly, IIRC.

I second the motion. The biggest motion picture franchise on the planet just got bigger and more relevant than it has been in years.

6. Kegg

IIRC wasn't the forum only here around the time of Revenge of the Sith and even then not stupendously active?

...although I do think the presence of a live action Star Wars TV series is going to change that. By the time that rolls around a SW subforum may be needed for the same reason we've had Stargate, BSG and Doctor Who.

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Is the television series still going ahead?

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably not the live action one. Bob Iger specifically mentioned that DisneyXD is the place for Star Wars on TV, so he's talking about cartoons aimed at kids, basically The Clone Wars' approach.

Live action space opera on general is a hard fit for TV. But I wouldn't be surprised to see TCW type series indefinitely.

9. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I see what you're saying as far as the droids, but I'm not sure I agree. Artoo and 3PO act as a kind of Greek Chorus to the entire saga.. Plus, as toys and other tie-in merch, they're profitable as hell. So I don't see them going anywhere..

Add to that, It seems that as far as technology goes in a galaxy far far away, it hasn't progressed as fast as we have say, in the last 100 years.. So even if the new series takes place some 23-30 years after Episode VI, I betcha astromechs and protocol droids still have a place and function without too much need for updating.

ON EDIT: Oh!! I just had a thought... Does this open the door up for Hayden to return as "ghost Anakin" to advise his now 60-something son on important matters pertaining to the force? Man, that would be weird... Ghost Yoda can appear without any problems, but what about Ghost Obi-wan? Do they dress Ewan up in old-man make up?

10. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

^^^ My understanding is that the TV series status remains unchanged. LFL still wants to do it but wants to do it with essentially weekly motion picture quality production values for less than $5mil per episode. When they figure out how to pull that off, I expect the series will greenlight. Until then, probably won't see it.

11. Temis the Vorta

Hamill wouldn't extract maximum value from the brand known as Luke Skywalker. A younger guy around 30, as the lead character of three movies, would do a better job of that because he's easier on the eyes and more aspirational for teenage kids and boys who want to pretend they are Luke, too. A 12 year old never envisions himself being old and wrinkly.

Luke Skywalker is a brand unto himself and does not require any particular actor to support that brand, anymore than James T. Kirk required an actor named William Shatner.

There are some attributes to the brand known as Luke Skywalker they'd want to keep, for instance, he will be a white male. Physically, he will not be a big, tall, muscular guy. Most likely he will still have his boyish good looks. That describes a whole slew of possible actors out there. The guy doesn't even have to be blond, that's the hairdressing dept's problem.

Keep in mind a profit oriented machine is now in charge. They're thinking of their new acquisition in terms of brand strategy and how to maximize ROI. Wrinkly old Mark Hamill isn't the best ROI possible.

Also keep firmly in mind that Disney will not be making these movies for people who give a flip about Mark Hamill or even could tell you the name of the guy who originally played Luke Skywalker. There is a gargatuan global market for fantasy action movies that Hollywood is now catering to. Fandoms just don't have the numbers to have the financial clout to matter in all this.

12. Kegg

Huh. Here I thought they'd confirmed that the live-action TV series would be a real thing (much as their Marvel film universe is getting its own TV series).

So I guess there may actually be more cause for a SHIELD subforum than a Star Wars one for the forseeable future...

13. Temis the Vorta

Well I just saw that one comment from Iger about DisneyXD but if you have something further, please add it, I'd love to see live action Star Wars but there are so many drawbacks compared with doing an animated series for kids, I'm not hopeful.

14. Kegg

Totally.

But is this Episode 7 or not?

If it's a plain remake of the original trilogy, then recasting Luke as a telegenic young man makes perfect sense. If it wants to be a sequel to the original trilogy - as the Episode 7 implies - then recasting Luke as a young man begs the question of why it is a sequel to begin with. Just go ahead and recast Darth Vader, Han Solo, Leia, the Emperor, Tarkin, and tell the old yarn with a fresh spin. No half-measures.

Given the generational shift between the first two trilogies, it's not hard to assume this new trilogy includes Luke Skywalker passing on the torch to a new set of heroes... that he serves basically as the Obi-Wan, and thus not the protagonist of the films. (Although you're quite right, chances are the new protagonist will be played a young white male.)

It's not a matter of 'only Mark Hamill can play Luke Skywalker' and more a comment on the mode of the film. Hamill being used as the Nimoy - to refer to Abrams Trek - is an approach that makes a lot of sense.

To put this in Star Trek terms: This is not Abrams Star Wars, this is Star Wars: The Next Generation.

15. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Exactly. That Hamill and Fisher were told about this months ago is a huge tell. Having this a be a sequel trilogy the first question for anyone even non fans would be if the original actors are returning. Otherwise they would have gone in another direction. Mark Hamill has not said it yet but surely they asked "Are we in this?" Lucas must have told them already.

This was a total secret until yesterday. It makes sense there are other secrets to be revealed. They have to be far along to have a release date. Maybe even a director is already chosen.

16. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't believe that Disney owns Star Wars and Indiana Jones and that Episode VII is actually a reality. Never thought Lucas would ever sell but I think it was a smart move. Sad to see the end of an era but excited for what is to come. Brave new world.

I'm glad they're not using the EU. They should not hold themselves down with that.

17. KalEl

KalEl Lieutenant Commander

Exactly, he won't be the main star, but the mentor. People may not know who Mark Hammill(which I doubt), but everyone on the planet knows who Luke Skywalker is and if they find out Luke Skywalker is in this movie, they will gladly pay for the 3D ticket. I guarantee that if its advertised that Luke is in this ala a poster or picture or whatever, everybody whose even remotely interested in Star Wars will be exited. You don't even have to know the actor, you just need to know its Luke.

18. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

At most if Han and Leia have kids I could see their names being from the EU. But not any plotlines or continuity. Lucas took the name Coruscant from the books.

19. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Why not?

The new X-Men movie is basically filiming one of its most beloved storylines (and other superhero movies have also taken comic stories as inspiration) so why not adapt some of the stories in the EU?

The Thrawn trilogy has really started the EU material and is widely regarded as very good.. i can imagine adapting that story to suit the movies (i'd love to see a good character actor play Thrawn).

Whatever happens i just hope they pick a good team who will put story first and treat the visuals as second. If that happens i'll enjoy the movies.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I can see them using Jacen and Jaina but not Anakin Solo, their youngest son.

It'd be neat if Luke had a son named Ben in Episode VII, too.