Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^ My kind of game. :lol:

I'm looking forward to some updates/patches they'll have for this game (hopefully, we won't have to go out and buy expansions).

2. Andiamo

Andiamo Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If you're Federation, you can play as Human, Benzite, Vulcan, Trill, Saurian, Bajoran, Bolian, Andorian, Borg (if you pre-ordered the lifetime subscription), Ferengi (micro transaction), Klingon (microtransaction) and Joined Trill (if you bought the digital deluxe edition).

If you decide to serve the Klingon Empire, you can play as a Klingon, Gorn, Nausicaan, Lethean, or Orion.

You also have the option to create your own race. The various body parts are culled from various Star Trek races, including the Jem'Hadar. Apparently, you can make a Cardassian but I haven't figured that one out yet.

3. Gryffindorian

I understand that Ferengi and Klingon Starfleet officers come with their own added bonuses/enhancements, so to speak. Do you have to pay to download either or both avatars or pay with points? Also, what's the difference between Trill and Joined Trill in terms of the appearance/functionality?

4. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

In create your own race they have the parts to make Denobulans, Tellarites, Benzites, Aennar and several of the forehead aliens. Cardassians can be kibbished sort of.

PS Hirogen and Jemhadar also

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  5. Aeolusdallas

Joined Trill are trill with one extra required trait. The trait gives you bonuses in 5 skills. Basically all the starship skills.

6. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Can someone get me a good high res pic of Quinto's EMH?

7. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

You have to pay for the Ferengi and Klingon starfleet races...
    I bought them with the 500 free Cryptic points i got with the DDE...

Oh, and:

[​IMG]
    Goldsellers/energysellers...

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, I got the lifetime subscription. So how do I get my two extra bridge officer slots?

9. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are they bridge officer slots or character slots? (I though they were the second of the two).

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I checked it's just character slots.

11. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never played an MMO before, but I'm really interested in STO. What happens if your ship is destroyed, or your main character is killed in ground combat? Do you have lives, or is it game over and you have to start over?

Also, what are the absolute minimum requirements to run this game? I have a Dell Inspiron 545s Slim Desktop, which came with an integrated Intel GMA 3100 Graphics Video card. Will I need to upgrade to play it?

12. Gryffindorian

I haven't been playing the game long enough, so I don't know what happens if your captain/starship is defeated. But I assume you can respawn at a certain site, just like most MMOs. It's not like they give you only X number of times to try to complete a mission and then it's over. You have the option to even drop an existing one and go the next one.

Check the official for system requirements.

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

You explode and respawn about 15 seconds later, at which point you can restart the mission again.
    (Although for now it's only happened to me once. :D )

As for system requirements, an onboard chip might give you trouble.

14. Gryffindorian

:scream: NOOOO! The forum ate my review!

I don't often do this, but here's my take. I played for about three hours last night.

Content and Features: A

It's been said that STO is Star Trek at its core, but whether that means the game is for Trek fans or for MMO gamers (or both) remains to be seen. One thing is clear: STO has a rich background and history consisting of character aliens, ships, and elements from all the TV shows and motion pictures. There's even Leonard Nimoy doing a narration as Spock, referring to events in ST 2009 and what's been happening in his century. The surroundings have an authentic Trek feel, and there are even familiar sounds (transporter, phaser, hailing frequencies).

One of the strongest features is the character creation and customization process when you first start the game. There are various alien species to choose from, and the ability to customize your own alien race makes it more interesting. Like The Sims and other games, customization is very dynamic, and everything can be controlled from hairstyle and color to body size to uniforms.

I can't comment on the starship customization yet, as I haven't gotten that far. I have yet to undertake episodes and missions with a good story, but the earlier ones I took seemed to be cohesive and consistent.

Controls and Game Dynamics: C

STO is a skills-based game, and it's not like other MMOs I've played before. In City of Heroes and other MMOs, you level by gaining experience/skill points in defeating enemies and completing missions and unlock power sets, new skills, new enhancements, etc. STO has a rather vague leveling process in which points are gained and assigned to your captain/officer, and there's a lot of slotting and equipping. In STO you don't actually go to a trainer to level up (at least I don't remember doing so). It took me three hours at the Ensign level (mostly tutorial and intro) to complete some missions and finally get to Lieutenant, Level 2. :rolleyes:

When I first started, it also felt like there were thousands of windows, panels, and user interfaces on screen. It was quite overwhelming figuring out which was which and how one panel was related to another. In CoH there are user-friendly interfaces for chat, navigation, and power sets, which make everything look clear and straightforward.

Graphics and Sound Quality: B-

As I mentioned, the sound effects and art renderings are very authentic and true to the spirit of the Star Trek Universe. The visual quality isn't quite as sharp or vivid as when I'm playing, say, Sims 2 or Sims 3, but it's decent. NOTE: I was prompted to update my NVIDIA drivers, which I didn't do, but will try it and see if there's any difference.

Fun Factor: B+

In any MMO game, I've always found that it starts to become more and more interesting in the higher levels because that's when I start to unlock more enhancements, more features, more powers. For now, I'm still a Lieutenant, Level 2. As I mentioned earlier, collaborative gameplay is an essential element, and it's really fun when you play in groups or teams, which I haven't tried yet in STO.

My overall rating is B.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  15. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks. I have Sims 3 and it seems to run ok. I just might wait for a free demo to become available to see if my system can handle it.

16. Arthur Frelling Dent

Arthur Frelling Dent Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Computer back up and running! STO, here I come (again) tonight! :D

17. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I'm loving this game, if anyone wants to add me as a friend, my full handle is: The Doctor@The-Doctor.

18. Gryffindorian

I spent another 3 1/2 hours playing the game tonight. It's funny how the chat channels were filled with tons of questions from players, and I would say 40% of came from me, 85% of which went unanswered.

I feel I'm beginning to reach the end of the rope here. There's a lot about the game I still don't know. Skill Points, Energy Points ... I think I understand the difference between the two, but the question is, how do I get the Energy Points to buy the freakin' uniforms? And why do they use different currencies to pay for items like costumes, consoles, weapons? Exploration Badges are required for starship purchases? Energy Points for certain transactions? Merits?

And it took me a while to figure out how to get back to the Starbase in the Sol System (and it was only a matter pressing a couple of keys). The information in the manual or on the website isn't very helpful. It's like going into a warzone and being given a rusty helmet and a water pistol. :scream:

19. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, i also came across the transwarp-to-sol skill by accident...
    Press P and put it in your quickslot-bar...

20. Aeolusdallas

I think people who have been playing MMORPGs for years forget that it can be confusing for new players. I was going to write of some basic explanations for the questions that were just asked but i realized that most of my answers would have referenced WoW, CoH, Everquest etc...and would not have been helpful to someone who had not played those games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.