Downton Abbey - Am I Missing Something?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Frontier, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Charles Blake? I definitely liked him more than Lord Gillingham.

Dame Maggie Smith figures that Violet must be about 110 now. She's only off by a little bit. Violet was born in 1842 (according to the Downton Wiki), which makes her 82 in the fifth season, which makes her two years older than Dame Maggie.

I expect a major death or two in season six (just because there hasn't been one since Matthew -- and, no, I'm not counting the dog), but not the Dowager Countess. She is a survivor.

I kinda thought that Downton would end with Robert's death. Maybe he's out walking his next dog, Osiris, and he has a heart attack on the grounds.

I remember, vaguely, something in the first season, maybe even in the first episode or two, while they were all mourning their cousins who died on the Titanic. Mary was engaged to the cousin, but it was Edith who actually loved him. Edith said something to Mary like, "Whatever I want, you take." And I seem to recall that when Edith started showing an interest in Sir Anthony Strallan, Mary decided to make a play for him, just to mess with Edith.

I don't think there's any particular reason why Mary is so horrible to Edith. Certainly Edith's decision to reveal to the Turkish ambassador what happened between Mary and Kemal Pamuk threw poison down the well, but that well was already well and truly poisoned. From the vantage point of the fifth season, in retrospect that move doesn't look now like the bitch move that it did at the time; you look at where the Mary/Edith relationship has gone and is now, and you see that there's only so much abuse one can take before they lash out. It's a wonder that Edith hasn't done more to Mary.

2. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Maggie Smith has said series 6 is her last. Fellowes has said in the past that he would never kill her off and if Maggie Smith left he would have her move to the seaside or something.
    I wonder if in series 6 Edith really does burn the place down after one too many put downs from Mary.
    I know parents can not fight all your battles for but you think they would step up for Edith once in a while.

3. Allyn Gibson

4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I've just finished binge-watching the first 3 seasons for the second time (come on, Netflix Canada - get the 4th season already!).

It's too bad Kate couldn't make it a "royal command" that they find a way to revive Matthew and bring him back. It works in the fanfic stories, especially given Penelope Wilton's appearances in Doctor Who.

I also just finished reading a cool crossover story - Downton Abbey and Firefly (yes, the author made a credible effort to make that combination make sense).

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

6. Serial thread killer

7. Timewalker

:(

I hope they don't end it like Upstairs, Downstairs did, with the family losing all their money in the stock market crash of 1929.

If I had my druthers, Edith would finally find a man to love and marry, be able to openly acknowledge Marigold, and get rich from running the newspaper.

And Isobel would marry the doctor. She's much too down-to-earth to get roped into marrying that guy with the snobby sons.

And Mary? I am so tired of her endless indecision. Just pick someone, already. It's not like they're not all basically interchangeable anyway.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  8. auntiehill

As I've said before, I want it to end with the Bates family in peace, Carson and Mrs. Hughes happily together, Edith triumphant and loved, and Mary, humbled and alone.

9. Allyn Gibson

QFT.

I never really hated Mary until this year. Maybe I just never noticed how utterly horrible she was until now.

I always figured it would end with Robert dying.

Yep.

No, I want her to work it out with Lord Merton.

Charles Blake is the right guy for her, imho. They're both manipulative people.

10. Serial thread killer

THIS^^^^6
    I know it will not happen because uncle Julian loves Mary, but I would love for him to remember that Edith has business to run so she can go to London and be happy and fabulous because Downton is not a good place for her.

11. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I think it's because during the first two seasons, Mary and Edith were both horrible to each other; in Season 3, Matthew did a great job of tempering Mary's worst qualities and bringing out her better ones (most of the time); in Season 4, she was pitiable because she was still mourning Matthew. This past season, she was just an outright heinous bitch. Team Edith 4EVAR.

12. Serial thread killer

I have been team Edith since series one, and after Sir Anthony took Edith for a drive I became a Andith shipper. :lol:
    'Have you done something Jolly with your hair' is one of my favourite lines.

13. Timewalker

I loved how she just pulled that stump out of the ground with the tractor!

Other than falling on her backside in the pigsty, has Mary ever gotten dirty on that show?

14. Allyn Gibson

I've been Team Edith since season one as well. :)

Maybe I'm wearing Edith-colored goggles, but I don't see Edith as a horrible person to Mary, except for the letter to the Turkish Ambassador, and I can almost justify that. At the time, it seemed like a mean thing for Edith to do. In retrospect, Mary totally had it coming to her.

Edith's romance with Sir Anthony was cute. She worked well with Michael Gregson. I don't see any sense to the estate agent she met in the Christmas special; she owns a publishing empire, he looks after a landed estate. I'm not seeing a match there.

15. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Can't stand Mary. I don't want a happy ending for her, but dollars to donuts she'll get one. She's a nasty bitch and being married/having a son hasn't mellowed her one bit.

I do want a happy ending for Edith. And of course for the downstairs folks.

And I am shipping Isobel and Lord Merton. Eff the doctor. ;)

Having Robert dying would be the most logical ending.

I guess we'll see what happens.

16. auntiehill

^Yeah, I'm thinking there actually IS something wrong with Robert's heart and he'll die at the end, or have some terrible health crisis.

17. Serial thread killer

The writer loves Mary so I think we will have to watch her get another happy ending.
    I could never see why Matthew fell for her?
    On flobert dying, I think it depends on how serious they are about a film.
    I must admit to not being a Cora fan, I don't think Elizabeth Mcgovern is a good actress.
    I wonder what cora would have been like if Gillian Anderson had said yes to the roll?

18. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 6 speculations:

Thomas finds out the truth about "the soap" and squeals to Cora, who then sends Bates to exact revenge. He drowns O'Brian in a bathtub full of pie.

Robert falls hopelessly in love with Daisy and tries to run away with her, but Mrs. Patmore finds out about the plan and whacks Robert in the nards with a 20 pound ham. Seeing the error of his ways, Robert swears off pork forever.

Isobel begins a new life with the now unemployed pig man who decides to change careers and become a chauffeur, since it worked out so well for Tom.

It is discovered that Edith is the one who offed Mr. Greene after she is seen pushing Mary in front of a train. After the initial shock, all is forgiven.

With the retirement of Carson and Mrs. Hughes, Bates and Anna are promoted to butler and housekeeper. Thomas is promptly executed for being an insufferable putz.

Robert and Cora decide to move to America. Edith promptly sells the estate and the publishing business and moves Marigold and the staff to the south of France.

The dowager watches and makes witty comments.

;)

19. Timewalker

Robert changes his mind when he realizes how politically aware Daisy has become due to her newfound interest in education and reading newspapers. He realizes it would be like marrying a feminine version of Tom, and comes to his senses... only to be whacked by Mrs. Patmore for his dishonorable behavior. The ham hits him in the head and kills him. Cora has him buried next to Isis.

All the men who Mary played off against each other show up to court Edith, realizing that they'd overlooked the Crawley sister who actually has a practical view of the world, a brain, and emotions. But after Isobel comes up with a way to repair Sir Anthony's arm and rejuvenate him by a decade or so, Edith proposes to him and points out that she's already taken care of the business of providing an heir. He finally realizes he was an idiot, and they marry. Edith turns the paper into a publishing empire and one of its most valuable properties is a series of cookbooks authored by Mrs. Patmore and Daisy.

Mary's first reaction on realizing she's dead: A cooly-uttered "Golleh."

Mr. Molesley decides to finish his education and ends up becoming a teacher. He and Miss Baxter marry.

:techman:

Plus, Anna finally gets to stop wearing black.

Isobel and Violet are outside walking when they hear a weird noise. Suddenly a blue box appears and a young man steps out. He takes one look at Isobel and stares: "Harriet Jones, what are you doing here?" Isobel says he must have mistaken her for someone else, and the man realizes that this lady is much too nice to be the former Prime Minister. He offers Isobel and Violet a trip in the TARDIS and they go off adventuring around the universe.

20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Honestly, while I've been faithfully watching this show for the last few seasons, I kinda stopped caring once Matthew died. Although, I still like the downstairs people. I nearly cried in the finale when Mrs. Patmore started crying when Daisy said she was going to leave. And I'm glad that Mr. Barrow is now using his manipulative-bastard powers for good instead of evil...-ish.

Wasn't it Queen Elizabeth I that insisted that Shakespeare resurrect John Falstaff for The Merry Wives of Windsor? And didn't Queen Victoria have something to do with pressuring Arthur Conan Doyle to resurrect Sherlock Holmes?

If Doctor Who & Downton Abbey really are in the same universe, do you suppose that whole thing with Richard E. Grant's character Mr. Bricker was just part of the Great Intelligence's plan? (I'm not entirely sure how wrecking Robert & Cora's marriage advances his plan to destroy the Doctor's timeline. But I suppose you never know what kind of butterfly effect various temporal meddlings will have.)

Really? How? :wtf:

I keep hoping they'll do some kind of crossover between Downton Abbey & Mr. Selfridge. I think it would make sense that Cora, Mary, & Edith would be shopping there while they're in London.

Gillian Anderson certainly would've been a very different Cora. I would agree that McGovern probably isn't a very good actress. However, she's sufficiently believable in the role that I've had to come up with an awful lot of head-canon to try to reconcile how she's written with how McGovern plays her.