if Chakotay doesn't have a last name, when he gets married...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's nothing wrong with consensual bigamy, but the rest sounds about right.

Fred and Barney might look Cromagnon, but Betty and Wilma most certainly seem homosapien from their appearance.

In Doctor who they had a Dinosaur Civilization coming out of cold storage in modern day all the time who thought of man as something between a game animal and vermin, but the Voth missed us entirely even if it would have been interesting to see a John Goodman Movie Flintsons meets Star trek's the Voth and Voyagers Crew: The Movie.

Althoguh sadly that might float Halee Berry new work.

That woman just needs to be evicted from decent ordinairy peoples goings on.

2. jenny S

jenny S Ensign Newbie

personally, i'd rather take the name as a symbol.but truely,the surname can show the tie among families,i prefer to take it as granted and appreciate it as a gift from my families.

3. Guy Gardener

What name? He doesn't have a name to give her.

4. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

How do we know that he doesn't have some secret tribal name to give. There could be a ceremony where he paints tribal symbols on her back, or some kind of tribal charm he gives to her.

Oh wait, that's fan fiction. I do believe I wrote both of those scenarios at different times, and one of them again in an unfinished fic.:lol:

The secret whispered tribal name has been used more than once by other authors. It's occurred to many fic writers.

Brit

5. Guy Gardener

You're thinking of Dune among other lores.

In the one with Nog dressed up as a space street kid gangbanger he was talking to the universe and his ancestors.

What an odd point to take a reefer break.

6. Gorf

Gorf Commander Red Shirt

Did I hear the words 'unfinished fic'? :shifty:
    Hmm.... :cool: Must do something about that. :) *huggles*

7. belle paris

belle paris Lieutenant Red Shirt

There's nothing wrong with "Fred". He could've been named after a family friend, a special location or his mom just liked the name. Here in Canada, most Native Americans are Metis or related to Metis and naming a kid Fred wouldn't raise any eyebrows.

8. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

What if I told you I have over 20 thousand words right now.

Brit

9. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I'd tell you keep writing and post asap. :D

10. USS Renegade

USS Renegade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

To symbolize their union he would become Chakotay of Nine, and she would become Seven of Two.

11. Gorf

Gorf Commander Red Shirt

I second that!!! *starts bouncing* ;)

12. NathanielM

NathanielM Captain Captain

hmmm thats not very much, keep on going!

I got stories fan fiction from fantasy series that is 40,000 words :) and it three parts...

<-- amateur writer, its ready to be published, although i am still editing.

Part 3 is being tough tho... there is two versions and I am trying to decide which would be a proper finish for it.

damn writer's block.

And yes i write fan fic trek stuff alot... some of it is pretty good. I put alot of characters that would be considered extras in the series/movies tho... I usually rarely focus on main characters.

Nathaniel

13. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

I think that mine will be right around 30 to 35 thousand words when I'm done. But that's using Word and their counter. Word count is completely different in professional publishing and if you are using MS Word for yours the published count would be more (they count the white spaces too).

Have you thought about doing Nanowrimo in November?

Brit

14. NathanielM

NathanielM Captain Captain

I as well use word. It is fairly accurate, however I have seen profesional softwares that are much better. Also been looknig at screenplay software.

I might do that in november, has to check schedule for any time off.

:) Does have a full time job...

Nathaniel

15. Gorf

Gorf Commander Red Shirt

Are you serious?!?!?!? That seems suspiciously like cheating in my ears - white spaces are NOT words. :shifty:

16. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Word...counts words. I mean, combinations of letters/numbers with spaces between them. And that's how I pay my freelancers, too, and I consider myself a professional magazine publisher. No doubt it's different for book publishers, though.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  17. Gorf

Gorf Commander Red Shirt

Sorry, I should have clarified. What I meant is that I find it unbelievable that they would count the spaces between the words as well, which is what I gathered from Brit's post. That just seems like artificially up'ing the numbers to me.

18. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I don't know if this is what Brit is talking about - as I mentioned, we use Word around here - but some word-counting utilities count words by counting total characters (which includes everything, including spaces, commas, etc.) and dividing by something or other (five maybe - whatever the length of the "average" English word is determined to be). If that is the kind of program she's talking about, yes it would include spaces, but it isn't inflating anything. It's just a different method of counting words. Each method has its strengths and its weaknesses, I assume - I've never compared them, but that makes sense to me.

The alternative to using a program would of course be a human being counting. each. word. and. who. would. want. that. job?