Is Netflix a Rip-off?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral James Kirk, Mar 4, 2008.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Plus, DVR isn't a substitute for Netflix. I have both in my house. They serve completely different functions.

2. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just wish Paramount wouldn't be such asswipes and would let Netflix stream ALL 11 movies and all 5 series. I mean, they took a few of the older Trek movies off instant stream - like Wrath of Kahn - but kept ST-IV-VI, then skipped Generations but have First Contact, and skipped Insurrection and Nemesis, but have ST2009... UHM... okay...

But I do really love Netflix - especially nice with the app they have for iOS, so cool being able to go to a wifi hotspot with reasonable speed and be able to watch a tv show or movie while I'm eating. That alone is almost worth the price of admission!

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Wondering the exact same thing!

I too have been going with Netflix since not long after they started and, aside from a small throttling problem for frequent rentals, I have no complaints.

I've recently started watching instant movies on XBox 360 and I understand they want to move towards that kind of viewing and away from DVD mailings - cheaper to do. I'm good with that, however I noticed that stuff that I remember seeing online earlier in the year is now no longer available for viewing now. Like the remastered Trek TOS series, for example. In fact, I also noticed that listings like First Contact and several other titles are only available through January 1, 2011! It's December and the classic movie "Christmas Story" is listed as only available on DVD! :confused:

Now, I don't get something - if they want people to start using their online service, why are they intentionally limiting their selections like this? Can't be storage - terabytes are cheap to purchase now and just about everyone has some kind of broad-band. So what gives? Anyone know?

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Contracts with the studios.