Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Since I've read nearly 2/3 of that material and have a different opinion we'll agree to disagree.
    I mean really how long has Manny been in my av?
    I get you like Guy Gardner, not may fav but to each their own.

I was mearly posting the information for informational purposes.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I chose the screen name Guy Gardener 10 years ago.

I formed my opinion on Manthing 20 years ago.

Maybe I'm a different person now?

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

More of a Guy Thing? :lol:

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed AvX 3 and the AvX crossover in Avengers Academy, and I'll say more about them later in the AvX thread.

Otherwise, all I've got talk to about here is Daredevil 12. A low-key issue as Matt and Kristin McDuffie fianally go out on a date. Kristin wears a blindfold so that she can "see" the world like Matt, all the while still convinced that Matt is Daredevil. The games they play on that subject are a lot of fun. Of course, since Matt is Daredevil, things can't go completely right as at the end, he and Kristin are accosted by an agent of the re-born Black Spectre (Already?) and sets the course for the next issue.

I hate to sound like a broken record, and despite the anti-climax of the big crossover, I still say to all of those not reading Mark Waid's Daredevil that you should recitfy that immediately. One of the best books out there.

5. Turtletrekker

Previews of next week's releases--

I'll be getting Avengers Assemble #3, Captain America 11, Journey into Mystery 637, New Avengers 26, Wolverine and the X-Men 10 and X-Men Legacy 266.

6. Captain Craig

• Still not used to seeing the name Kaine Parker.
    • So despite seemingly running over Rachel is going to be in Punisher #11
    • Wait, Red Hulk's possible salvation lies with....The Legion of Monsters. Haven't been getting Red Hulk but I like my Legion, may look at this on the shelf to see how much a part they play.
    • She-Hulk(Walters) in Avenging Spidey...nice, especially since it's a title I'm waffling on now.

Thanks for posting those as links to CBR! :techman:

7. Turtletrekker

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that's quite a recipe for awesomeness right there. I really hope they release these as e-books, because I really want to read these, but I'm trying as hard as I can to go 100% digital with my books.

9. Turtletrekker

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Marvel Cosmic was a nice ride while it lasted.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

lasted?

It petered out to a drip and then vanished.

Annihilators was a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

This shit used to come one on top of one another.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I was never madly in love with the DNA epic... Annihilation was okay, I probably enjoyed War of Kings the most because at least it had some larger relevance to the Marvel U by using the Shi'ar.

13. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved Marvel Cosmic, but both Annihilators books lacked something. Nova had the momentum of Annihilation behind it and it's focus on one individual, then slowly adding a supporting cast worked, keeping the focus on Rich worked. Guardians of the Galaxy worked because they were outcasts, misfits, in the grand Marvel tradition. Annihilators, despite having the first string of cosmic heroes, left very little to grab onto, character-wise.

14. Captain Craig

Punisher #11 - After the Omega Effect crossover we are back to just Frank. Rachel is who knows where, he wants to know and zombies attack while he's pressing Detective Bolt(his inside man) for anything on Rachel. Yes, Zombies, I typed that right. It's not over the top But they are undead, hungry for flesh zombies brought to you by Black Talon, about as D-list a villain as there's been. He's a voodoo priest and usually operates in New Orleans but he has designs on The Avengers..until his zombie stint to attract them smack into Frank first. Let's just say I hope he can raise himself from the dead. The MCU will be looking for a new Black Talon otherwise.
    The real heart of the story is about Detective Bolt. The issue starts with him under review cause he fired shots during the zombie attack. The reviewer brings up this is twice in one year. The prior event is what lead to him being promoted but he just took credit for what the Punisher did and it's how he became Frank's inside man. The guilt of that is weighing on him and as they are going to lay accolades on him again he confesses. I want tell you how it unfolds for him though.
    What Rucka does this issue is a mild crossover of sorts. Bolt was on a date with one Carlie Cooper. I'm not reading Spidey, she and Peter are off I take it then. Anyway, this was another great Rucka script but we had a new artist, hoping it was just a fill in, it wasn't bad but not as great as the series had had up till this point.

Avenging Spider-man #7 - guest starring She-Hulk. It was a fun romp. It's clear that seven issues in this is the book that showcases wise cracking Spider-man. More serious Spidey is in ASM and Avengers. There is a ploy to steal some Egyptian artifacts and it so happens to be while Jen's law firm is hosting an event at the museum. It's a one off team up issue book and while it's fun I'm on the fence about it. I'm starting to get the vibe I could find these in $1 boxes since they aren't crucial to the narrative really.

15. Turtletrekker

Non AvX purchases--

Captain America 11-- Part one of "Shock to the System". A new Scourge of the Underworld is killing off villains that are part of the Witness Protection Program and Cap is determined to protect them. This new arc brings back former Cap love interest Diamondback partnered with Dum Dum Dugan as agents of the new SHIELD. I'm already liking this story better than the recently completed "Powerless" arc. If only Alan Davis had stuck around on the art. I am curious as to who is going to be revealed as the new Scourge as it is supposed to be someone familiar to the readers.

Exiled 1/Journey Into Mystery 637-- The first two parts of the JiM/New Mutants crossover. I forgot to pick up part one last week, but fortunately was able to get it this week. The latest chapter of Kieron Gillen's saga of the Disir teams him up with Abnett and Lanning and the New Mutants. Dani Moonstar's Asgardian connections have been one of my favorite parts of her character ever since the classic Chris Claremont "X-Men and New Mutants go to Asgard" story way back when. And since the Disir were introduced in a Gillen-penned Siege crossover issue of New Mutants, this is bringing the story full-circle. It seems that an ancient Asgardian warrior in hiding named Sigurd just happens to live across the street from the New Mutants. When he realizes that Dani is a Valkrie, he flips out and unleashes ancient magic that not only gives all of the Asgardians in the area amnesia, but also frees the Disir from their Bor-mandated limitations on what they can consume. The nod to "Adventures in Babysitting" was funny if you are old enough to remember that movie. As always, Kid Loki is a joy to read and I got a good laugh out of him trying on an over-sized New Mutant uniform.

Avenger Assemble 3-- This issue was a little better than the first two as the stakes are raised and the real villain of the piece makes his appearance. The appearance of the character in question is very well-timed considering his apperance in the Avengers movie stinger (I assume that we all know who i'm talking about, but just in case someone has yet to see the movie, I'll refrain from naming him for now). This is supposed to give us a hint as to what Bendis' post-Avengers work will be and it has already been speculated that he will take over Marvel Cosmic. Bringing back this particular character is definitely the right step to take when doing Marvel cosmic, but I can't help but wonder if DnA, whose cosmic work brought all sorts of raves, were removed in order to make room for Bendis. Oh well, if he can do to the sales for Marvel cosmic what he did for the sales for Avengers, then more power to him.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  16. Turtletrekker

Previews on next weeks books courtest of CBR...

Decent sized week for me. I'll be getting...
    Avengers 26
    Avengers Academy 30
    AvX 4
    Daredevil 13
    Fantastic Four 605.1
    New Mutants 42
    Uncanny X-Men 12
    Winter Soldier 5

ETA: The preview for Fantastic Four 605.1 is veeeerrry interesting...

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everytime I go to the comic shop it seems like there's a new issue of DAREDEVIL. It's Marvel's revenge because I've dropped most of their other product.

18. Turtletrekker

^ I know, right?

If you count the 10.1 issue and the "Omega Effect" crossover issues, next week will make 6 out of 7 weeks of Daredevil releases.

19. Captain Craig

Scarlet Spider #5 - first issue to really underwhelm me. Again, I've yet to read Spider Island, so Kaine can talk to spiders? Is this new or was that revealed in Spider Island? As soon as I read that it was a jump the shark moment. I may bail on this title. Then the ending with punching the bomb and yanking random wires--bingo it disarms. Cause a guy as dedicated to setting off a nuke would surely allow for such a happenstance maneuver to happen. I know it's fiction but disarming a bomb(a trope seen countless times) is never that intentionally easy. The "real" stuff has to be played more straight even in fiction.

20. Turtletrekker

Well, first Johnathon Hickman told us that SHIELD was actually formed in 2620 BC by the Egyptian Pharoh Imotep. Then we were told by Brian Michael Bendis that the Avengers were actually formed in 1959 by Nick Fury.

Now Marvel is announcing First X-Men by Christos Gage and Neal Adams that will tell the tale of a pre-Prof. X team of X-Men that was founded by Wolverine. So now, we are to believe that Wolverine was the first X-Man. :rolleyes:

It sounds really cheesy to me, but I am a fan of Christos Gage, so I will hold off on deciding about it until I know more.