is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by xvicente, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Oh hush, you. :lol:

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Brothers and sisters, I say to you the truth! And the truth be that only Star Trek that was touched by the divine hand of Gene Roddenberry himself can be considered True Star Trek! Pure Star Trek! Do not be sawyed by such charlatans as Rick Berman or JJ Abrams with their repsective minions! For they are posers and imposters and they're work only detracts from that of Gene Roddenberry the Great!

Sorry, this thread seemed in need of some Sunday morning preaching.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I do.

But to answer the thread question, by no means. While I personally prefer TOS, TNG, and DS9, I also find aspects of VOYAGER, and ENTERPRISE enjoyable, like the example I noted above.

I'm in the middle of an ENTERPRISE re-watch right now, and am about halfway through season two. Popular opinion has it that season three is superior to season two. My dislike of the Xindi arc is well known around here, so I won't go into that again, but I find that season two has some of the shows better episodes. For example:

Shockwave
    Carbon Creek
    Minefield
    Dead Stop
    A Night in Sickbay (It doesn't deserve the hate it gets, it's not so bad)
    Singularity
    Vanishing Point
    Precious Cargo
    The Catwalk
    Stigma
    Future Tense
    The Crossing (one of the shows more original ideas)
    Judgement
    Horizon
    Regeneration (I don't get the fan hate for this one either. For the reasons I like it, listen to Mike Susman's audio commentary. His reasoning more or less agrees with mine.)
    First Flight

That's not a bad run of decent episodes for a show that overall, is not one of my favorite Star Trek series.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But what if Roddenberry the Great disavowed himself of The Original Series? What is The Truth of Trek then??

According to Paula Block...

Another thing that makes canon a little confusing. Gene R. himself had a habit of decanonizing things. He didn't like the way the animated series turned out, so he proclaimed that it was not canon. He also didn't like a lot of the movies. So he didn't much consider them canon either. And – okay, I'm really going to scare you with this one – after he got TNG going, he... well... he sort of decided that some of The Original Series wasn't canon either. I had a discussion with him once, where I cited a couple things that were very clearly canon in The Original Series , and he told me he didn't think that way anymore, and that he now thought of TNG as canon wherever there was conflict between the two. He admitted it was revisionist thinking, but so be it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_canon

[YT]www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvAW0NxqjIk[/YT]

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I guess unlike Jesus, Roddenberry made good on his Second Coming with TNG. :p

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heretic! Brothers and sisters do not pay attention to this heretic and blasphemer against Gene Roddenberry the Great!

7. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Sorry, but Greg Bear is the only true Greg, so your contributions cannot be relied upon. ;)

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I count TOS, TAS, TNG and DS9 as the real core of Star Trek. Voyager and Enterprise can be great too but I consider them more like the Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson Dune sequels in that while I don't hate them as much as a lot do, I tend to ignore them in favour of the better Trek.

The movie franchise is actually the Trek I hold in least esteem as I'm only hugely fond of the first 2. I like the rest but don't really think of them much and the Abrams films are just weird cash-ins and as far away from true Star Trek as you can get.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Trek is Trek is Trek is Trek...

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's called Star Trek.... hellooooooooo.

11. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

:guffaw:

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

So...basically Star Trek films?

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

TOS to Star Trek XII--all of it is true Trek. There may be some versions you may not like at all, but each new incarnation of Trek is an expansion upon that universe.

14. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

I like certain episodes of TNG and ENT, but I grew up watching TOS, and to me that is "true" Trek. For instance, when VOY was on the air, I forced myself to watch it, only to realize that it seemed like an imitation of Trek, not the real thing.

15. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Yep I'm a big fan of good directors and JJ Is one of them and Star Trek is one of my favorite Sci fi shows i grew up with TNG and one of my favorite series is the TOS that's why I love both the new films a homage to the TOS that gene Roddenberry created.....

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This.

All Trek is true Trek. Nothing unreal exists. ;)

17. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Amen!:techman:
    No words were ever written [in this thread] which were more true!:bolian::techman:

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Pretty they did and it was called Star Trek.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Sometimes I like to think the film Forbidden Planet is the original Star Trek.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You mean it wasn't?

[​IMG]

;)