remade scene? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by starbuck, May 23, 2013.

1. starbuck

starbuck Captain Captain

I found the scene with kirk and spock , just as good as TWOK one it worked well, how they played on the twist of kirk dying but what i like too have seen is Mc Coy also run to the scene as he is also his friend and would have added to it .What do you guys think ?

2. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Re: TWOK remade scene?

I prefered the the original by a mile.

This was probably the weaknest scene in STID, IMO.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I preferred the new over the old. I was choking up throught the scene, especially when Spock said, "...because you are my friend."

The original never had any emotional impact on me, but that may be because I'd already seen IV and V, and knew Spock was gonna somehow get better. The same would likely be true of the new if they'd gotten the obvious-in-retrospect Tribble scene hint.

4. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

We're a little different. That was the part, along with the tear, that really didn't work for me, and then we got to the scream. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, though.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hated it the first time, wanted to slap JJ in the face.

Forgave it the second time.

Appreciated it the third time and started thinking about all the dynamics, kind of surprised myself by getting into it.

Fourth time I cried.

So yeah, go see it again.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The TWOK scene is definatly better than the new one. It really didn't do much for me, I was thinking I've seen this before.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't think the point is to say the new one is better, but that it's supposed to be appreciated as being connected to the original one.

I liked it for the most part, but I could have done without Spock shouting Khan. That's been parodied too many times that it was hard to take seriously.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it fine.

9. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

I liked it better than TWOK. And I had even run across spoilers before even watching the movie so I knew everything. Didn't stop me from sobbing the first time I saw it because the interaction between the two characters felt truly genuine to me. I think it was immensely harder for Spock to watch his friend die than it was for Spock to die himself. And of course, Kirk saying "I'm scared" was where I lost it. I even teared up listening to that part in the soundtrack yesterday (I can pretty much watch the movie in my head while listening to a good soundtrack). Why? Because I thought about Kirk putting his hand on the glass. It has different meaning (in my mind) than when Spock did it. Spock does it to comfort his friend- Kirk dies it because he doesn't want to die alone- he wants to be comforted. It's harder to watch someone so young die than someone who is older. And of course Spock, grappling with his feelings of helplessness, starts to cry. I felt that the scream worked in two ways- it was an outpouring of rage AND it broke the tension of the scene. You knew he was about to deliver and ass-kicking. And I find it incredibly believable that Spock could beat Khan...khan had just CRASHED in a SHIP... It's going to take its toll on everyone. So, there's why I liked that scene and why I didn't cry at all at the first scene (did tear up when old Kirk choked up at the funeral, but that was it).

10. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it worked surprisingly well considering these two characters have only known each other for two movies, not fifteen plus years.

The scream was laugh out loud funny though.

11. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the Spock shout because it had foundation. He speaks of suppressing his feelings of loss for Vulcan, he absorbs the death of Pike through a mind-meld. Spock here is on the edge and the loss of Kirk shatters what little composure he has left.

12. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Sounds like stockholm syndrome to me.

13. webb3201

webb3201 Commander Red Shirt

Everything about the scene in TWOK was perfect. The setup with bones calling Kirk, the run to the engine room, the crew holding Kirk back, the dying Spock walking into the wall. It was a great scene beautifully done.

The scene in ID was silly and laughable. No resonance at all and all pathos was lost 20 minutes later. horrible.

14. sj4iy

I moved to Japan and didn't like much of the food. After I ate it a few times, I could see how their food was delicious, but in a different way than I was used to. It happens with most things if you give it a chance.

15. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found it to be quite true to life. How often in an action-adventure picture does the hero admit to being scared of his impending death? Kirk pleads with Spock to help him face death with some sort of resolve and Spock is unable to help. Kirk has never been more real and human than he was in that moment.

16. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

I think they are both on the same level.

If to you a scene is just the words that are spoken in that moment mean it is ripoff or a knock off then hooray for your opinion.

But for me they are two totally different scenes that only shared visual similarities. The context of both were totally different. I mean you can complain about originality and all that but I don't see anyone moping around complaining that WoK and First Contact were just retelling of Moby Dick in Space (they even reference MD in First Contact outright, and Khan literally spews Captain Ahab dialog) but since that is classy literature it's okay to copy and paste that.

17. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be perfectly honest - no, the new scene did not have a hugh impact on me, (in 10 foot tall letters>>>) BUT!, I do not blame the film for that, I blame the timing. One prior film just simply was not enough time for me to become that emotionally invested in these versions of the characters.

I still love it though for a myriad of other reasons. I am going to see it again at least twice more in theaters and will buy the BD.

18. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

This.

As far as the scene in TWOK goes, it seems strikingly subdued compared to the STID scene.

I thought both were fine for the context of each movie. There was more dignity in Spock's scene in TWOK, as there probably should've been. There was no anger. Emotions were running higher in STID, including Spock's anger for what now would never be fulfilled.

Funny how JJ was able to keep Kirk's death a secret here in the Internet age (though I suspected it from that first teaser and the first time I heard Spock in the volcano reference the needs of the many :cool:), and the secret of Spock's death back in 1982 leaked all over the place to the point where no one even tried to deny it but actually tried to soften it, instead.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what stalkers say as well. ;)

20. sj4iy

Wow, so stalkers like Star Trek and mochi. Got it :p