"Polaris"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, okay.

It kind of makes visual sense to me as a one-or-two person ship, like the vipers on BSG.

2. Arkady

Arkady Lieutenant Commander

3. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Do you need music?

4. Admiral Buzzkill

We haven't settled on a composer yet, though we're talking to a couple of folks. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Vektor continues to explore and refine the design of our starship Polaris, and we've just added his latest concept drawings to the Concept and Art Design gallery over at http://www.starshippolaris.com. Do check it out - as always, his work is remarkable.

Also, be sure to check out his newly relaunched website at http://www.vektorvisual.com.

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Going a little to Minbari there for my tastes.

7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I sort of see the Minbari influence that DS9Sega speaks of, but I definitely see a toy ray gun in the upper left view. Like one of those old ones that shot sparks when you depressed the flywheel.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm very much preferring the vertical orientation. It took a while for it to sink in when Vektor first presented it, but it's really distinctive.

Vektor has a pretty extensive entry about his work on this at his blog here: http://vektorvisual.com/blog/

I have a couple of those sparking rayguns - they still sell them. That particular model/mold has probably been knocked off twenty times by various manufacturers...they come from China these days. ;)

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/206.jpg

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/127/b/AAAAAiIhjEUAAAAAASe7_A.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  9. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

I'm glad you are going with that vertical orientation now. :techman:

10. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Yes, I prefer the vertical orientation, too. Looks much more original to me.

As usual, Vektor did a great job! :techman:

12. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

That is *very* nice!

13. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Ahhhh, very much digging the new orientation as well. When are we going to get a taste of Polaris?

14. Admiral Buzzkill

We'll post more preproduction stuff - designs, construction further casting - as it occurs over the next few months. I'm hoping to get an in-character shot or two up next month as I iron out the wrinkles out of the wardrobe (pun neither intentional or accidental, just kind of...unavoidable).

We start shooting in December, so I wouldn't expect to have any video until sometime close to that.

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'm in the madness of getting ready for a film shoot in June. I can empathize. ;)

16. Admiral Buzzkill

We’ve secured a space to construct modules of the set pieces for Polaris, and this weekend several of our cast and crew did a walk-through of the place. In the coming week we’ll continue moving equipment and supplies in, and this weekend begin building parts of the spacecraft interiors. We’re on schedule to start shooting video in a few months.

We’re crewing up. Alex Ibrahim is our Director of Photography. His company website can be found here. Among his many credits, fans of Internet science fiction films may be most familiar with his work for Star Trek: Phase II.

John Broughton, creator and producer of the Starship Farragut fan film series, is our Co-Producer and Costume Supervisor; if you’ve seen that production or many episodes of Phase II you’ve seen the extraordinarily high quality of his work.. Douglas S. Caprette, production assistant and extra on Star Trek: Phase II is our Construction Supervisor.

More cast and crew announcements will be forthcoming in the next several weeks, as well as photos of our work on the starship Polaris sets as it progresses.

http://www.starshippolaris.com

17. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Congratulations, Dennis, and best of luck to cast and crew of Polaris!

18. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Out of curiosity, and I hope you don't mind my asking, but I've always wondered how much money a project like this takes out-of-pocket. Are there investors? Are you looking to make any money off of it? Etc, etc.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Yes, we'd like to make money on it and we're in the legal clear to do that. I'm financing it at this stage, and it's costing as much as much as I'm willing to feed it. ;)

20. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Thanks for the update, Dennis. I'm interested to see what may emerge as a financial way to create film and theater for the net. While Fan films may raise audience awareness of a filmmaker, they are inherently money-losers.

It's good to remember that it can take a few years for these formats to develop. I like to remind people that Bill Gates formed Microsoft in 1976, give or take a couple of years, but that as late as 1983, it was a service company selling the service of writing software, because there was no good way to hold intellectual property rights to software (I published a paper on the subject around that time). In fact, he offered to sell the company to IBM around that time for $10 million, and they refused, because they felt Microsoft had no inherent value.

The moral of the story is, hang onto your copyrights. If you create film, if you licence it's rights broadly, do it for a limited time, or licence them narrowly. If you are selling the rights to streaming video, don't include rights to media not yet created or to show it on cable TV. It's not impossible that you won't see your money back in 10 years, will barely have it back in 15, and will be a zillionaire from it in 25.