George Miller to direct Green Lantern feature film?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

IESB got their hands on Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green's screenplay for Green Lantern. They give it an enthusiastic thumbs up (and will be posting more story details in a follow-up). It's a Hal Jordan origin story that plays up the science fiction aspect of the Green Lantern mythos (lots of alien GLs, trips to other planets, major space battles) - exactly the approach most GL fans have been dying to see.

They also pass along what they're hearing from sources within Warner Bros, which is that the studio love the script and are prepared to give it a lavish budget, but are concerned that Greg Berlanti doesn't have enough experience to direct such a big, complicated film. So some execs are pushing for George Miller (whose Justice League IESB is hearing is dead for now) to be brought on board as director.

You can read their full story here. It includes a rundown on the list of characters who appear in the script, including the revelation of who the main villain would be.

If Warners makes a great space epic Green Lantern it would one of my fondest comic book geek dreams come true. Hope, hope, hope!

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw this today as well but have been too busy to post it myself. Its the end of the day now so screw work!

Warners really has a chance to break new ground in the comic-to-film world by making a truly great space epic via Green Lantern.
    Marvel doesn't really have that. The closest they were getting was Silver Surfer but thats not going to happen thanks to FF:2.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's hard to take IESB at all seriously, and certainly not their "inside sources." Still, the synopsis of the script itself sounds good.

4. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Lets hope that they're right on the Justice League film being dead rumor, anyway.

WB needs to stop and realize Nolan has given them pure spun gold, and they need to throw a truck of money at him and beg him to do a third film. If they do anything with Justice League, he'll walk. Bad. Very bad.

5. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amen to that. A movie like this could redefine awesome.

BTW, sorry, John Stewart fans.

6. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

So Jack Black as GL in a comedy is out of the picture now? Dammit! :mad:

;) Nah seriously, if that article is accurate, then it's gonna be awesome. They finally have the guts to put some real scope in a DC movie. And all the characters, wow. I would have never expected
    Clark Kent to show up in another hero's movie.
    And introducing
    a future GL
    so soon, that's cool too.

I really hope it's all true. :cool:

7. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

There's no way that Clark Kent bit would ever get filmed, I don't think.

More or less what one would expect, otherwise.

I wasn't aware Sinestro had a first name.

8. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

^Neither had I.

Mark a big-screen, big-budgeted Green Lantern film as one of the things I want to see before I die. Bring it on.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Sounds promising. I personally think a Hal Jordan origin story is the on way to go.

10. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd give my left nut for an awesome Green Lantern movie!