running time "Hard Time" and "To The Death"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by LogicDeLuxe, Feb 28, 2013.

1. LogicDeLuxe

LogicDeLuxe Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm not talking about the UK censorship here, so let's ignore the edited scene in "To The Death" which does not affect running time anyway.

Let's start with "Hard Time": The one TV version in Germany is 44:52 (identical cut as on UK VHS tape, except for PAL speedup which is 43:08). This is unusual, as other episodes in this season have a running time about 45:25 (43:35 with PAL speedup). On the DVD (RC2) there is a slightly different version with the usual running time of 43:35. On further examination, I noticed one missing scene with O'Brian in front of Quark's and another scene where O'Brian is putting food on a napkin uses some alternate takes for some reason. I wonder why there are different versions of this episode. Which one was aired originally in the US?

The only other episode with a shorter running time then usual is "To The Death", again, (uncensored) German TV version and (censored) UK VHS tape, but this time also the RC2 DVD is shorter than usual. Is this episode also shorter on the RC1 then all the other episodes in this season? Again, I wonder why it is shorter anyway. And does a longer cut exist for this episode as well?