Riddick starting filming

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Deckerd, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

He's made a reference to the Furyan on his FB page just now, so I'm guessing it's being filmed. At bleeding last.

3. Griever

Griever Captain Captain

I don't understand how this franchise has such legs. Didn't Chronicles bomb?

4. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it has done very well on DVD since then. Personally I can't wait for this, I was only mildly impressed by Chronicles the first time, but I have seen it a few times since and it has really grown on me. A very impressively conceived universe.

5. Deckerd

I think the photo he posted is just a mashup of a photo from Chronicles and some artwork but even so. I'm a little more hopeful. If you believe ... clap your hands!

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll be curious to check out more Riddick. I've found both to be entertaining films even if they don't necessarily seem to be in the same 'universe' but that is easily explained away I suppose. I would hope for at least a few minutes in a semi populated place that chronicles how the character has transitioned from the end of Chronicles to where we are going to begin this 3rd entry.

So Vin now has another Riddick up and going. He said when FF4 came out he wanted to do another Riddick and another XXX film. He acknowledged that before that could happen he'd have to prove himself a draw all over again. So now with FF5 a hit it seems Hollywood is buying back in and thus Riddick 3. So will Riddick have to perform to get XXX3. Cause Vin and Samuel L Jackson back together again is something I'd like to see.

7. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Chronicles of riddick was a lot better then it deserved to be.

8. Deckerd

I agree F5 had to wash its face before Riddick was going to be greenlit. Fortunately it looks as though it was satisfactory.

9. Pingfah

How good did it deserve to be, and why is it better than that?

10. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It a expression, I think a lot of people expected something a touch better then a Asylum film, and not something that had good production values, a decent plot, and good art direction and so on. Though I still think that the cup bit was so over the top that it is campy. I know a lot of people wrote it off as a bad campy SF film where I lived, but when I saw it later I was surprised on how decent of a film it was.

11. Deckerd

I read a few critic's comments about its bloated self-importance and decided they'd just cribbed each other's columns. The universe created in Chronicles is quite unique. Sure it has problems but they're the problems any film gets when it's trying to invent a world so gothic and grandiose and tell a ripping yarn two hours. I liked it when I first saw it and now it's one of my favourite films. I'm not uncritical though, they had to sacrifice quite a lot of coherence to pack everything in and in fact I'm not sure Riddick himself did the setting justice. But those are minor cavils.

12. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved TCoRiddick and am very happy it's going to start. Do they have a name for it as yet?

I hope it's a sequel rather than a complete standalone story.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The sequel title I saw on the script I read was called The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking. The opening sequence deals with Riddick's actions at the end of the previous film very nicely. Not sure if they're filming this draft of the script.

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

No you're not. I liked both Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick. I can't wait to see the next installment.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I'm weird anyway. :p

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Vin Diesel and his D&D (he says he played it with Judi Dench during filming :lol:) and gaming roots is responsible for a lot of the good and the bad of Chronicles of Riddick. I think the scope and vision are partly from his geeky side but some of the cheesy stuff as well. If he could reign in just a little of the cheesy and self-indulgent they came really close last time.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You know I really wanted to like the last Riddick film, but on the two separate occasions I've tried to watch it, I've only gotten about 40 mins in before I fell asleep. I might give this new one a chance if I thought it's going to be a bit more like Pitch Black.

18. Deckerd

Judging from what the man himself and David Twohy are saying, shooting really depends on Diesel taking a pay cut, at least until the release. He's deciding whether he wants to do that or not. I know he's a total diva and right up his own arse (which doesn't affect my enjoyment of his work) but the sheer weight of people on FB saying "just do it" may have appealed to his ego just enough.

19. Pingfah

^ From what I can tell from his comment, he's already decided he's prepared to work for scale, but is not sure if he can take the toll of playing the character again.

20. Deckerd

I know the lenses totally messed up his eyes. You'd think they could do some cgi trickery to alleviate that.