Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Based on this remark (in another thread):
    And this remark:
    Here we are.

For those of you who have TOS on BluRay can you share something you saw onscreen that somehow you never noticed before in all your previous viewings over the years?

lazarus+ and toonloon like this.
  2. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Fingerprints, dirt, brush strokes, chipped paint, sloppy carpentry, scuff marks, zippers on uniforms...

Carol Pruitt, kkt, Relayer1 and 4 others like this.
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The detail on the rank stripes in "The Cage" and "Where No Man...".

kkt and Qonundrum like this.
  4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

After watching my first few TNG BluRay episodes, I thought of Riker's statement that "the ship cleans itself." Apparently it doesn't do a good job.

DSG2k, kkt, USS Artorius and 4 others like this.
  5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Not at all surprising as I started to notice some of this in the previous DVD remastering. That's where I also started to discern the infamous and hotly debated gridlines penciled onto the saucer hull. It was with the DVDs I also finally saw the texturing and detail of many of the costumes.

That's a detail I had no idea about, but it makes sense since plain wide silver (or gold) striping seems rather blah.

lazarus+ and Qonundrum like this.
  6. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The pilot communicators' details really pop on blu ray. No cheap construction with those props. Something else: the bridge (from "The Cage") really shows off the effort and money put into that episode. It's a slick piece of work that was really trying to outclass the expensive sci-fi movies from the previous decade.

kkt and Qonundrum like this.
  7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yea, a pity they couldn't put that level of effort into the TOS era bridge on a regular basis, but given the budget and time contstraints it's not surprising.

Qonundrum likes this.
  8. telerites

telerites Commander Red Shirt

Well there is only one bathroom on the whole ship, after all. :devil:

lazarus+ and toonloon like this.
  9. BillJ

ChallengerHK, lazarus+ and KennyB like this.
  10. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And it's on the bridge. That's why everyone goes there.

lazarus+ likes this.
  11. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Coffee stain on Spock's uniform. For the life of me the episode escapes me.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

According to an anecdote told at a convention by Richard Arnold, the rank stripes in "The Cage" fieldjackets were created very quickly. They are gold-painted, wide elastic bands, originally used to bundle envelopes, co-opted from the Desilu mail room!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  13. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I don't know if this counts as I only noticed it from the dvd, I don't have bluray, but the "badges" that Dr. Severin and his followers are all wearing are an egg with an infinity symbol on them. A really nice touch on an episode that needs more to it. Before on my video tapes I just noticed it was a kind of oblong but no details.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Perhaps I should have started the thread differently to include viewing on DVD. The release on DVD did show us things easily missed or obscured before on VHS and in televised reruns on CRT televisions. Remastering yet again for Blu-Ray brings with it even greater resolution and revealing of unseen and easily missed details.

15. Jose Tyler

Jose Tyler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm pretty sure that is from "The Trouble With Tribbles"

There is also a nice coffee stain down the side of the M-5 control box on the side of Kirk's chair. Maybe that's why M-5 went crazy; coffee in the circuits...:rommie:

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Considering how we saw the characters drinking beverages while on duty (such as Kirk and company on the Bridge) suggests it was a shipwide habit. So seeing such things as occasional stains on tabletops and equipment probably wouldn't be that unusual aboard a "real" ship. Similarly with scuff marks on the floor.

This is one of those things I had in the back of my mind when pondering how unlikely it would be to fool Kirk into believing he was on a deserted Enterprise in "The Mark Of Gideon." A real ship would likely have all sorts of signs of normal wear and distinctive marks that the crew would be aware of even if they didn't really pay attention to it on a daily basis. That and the personal effects and distinctive decor in crew cabins and crew recreation areas. Unless Kirk was drugged or in a dream like state that's something he should have noticed right off.

Even if the Gideonites somehow managed to get detailed interior blueprints to a Constitution-class starship there is no way in hell they could duplicate a specific ship down to the finest detail to fool someone intimately familiar with that vessel.

17. BillJ

But then there are the odd one's: there is what looks like a stain from greasy food above the communications station in "The Cage".

Obviously, they had someone on the inside. Simply no other way to pull off what they did.

Methuselah Flint and lazarus+ like this.
  18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The just googled it. Starfleet security is really lax.

Valin and lazarus+ like this.
  19. BillJ

SpaceGoogle is the shit! :techman:

20. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Not sure I believe that based on the detail in the screencap Bill posted - I can't imagine they'd put in more effort for a briefly glimpsed junior crewman, and considering the source...