Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Nobody asked you.

2. GhostLoveScore

GhostLoveScore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Guys, don't feed the troll.

3. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't forget its not only a bed it doubles as a personal Suntanning chamber. ;) at least that's how it looks to me. :)

Donny I've been enjoying your project since you started it
    and this thread has shown me things that I've missed seeing
    keep up the great work. :techman:

4. cardinal biggles

Sadly, it looks too deep to do a good job doubling as a couch during the day. And I'd be afraid of smacking my head on that overhang if there's a Red Alert while I'm sleeping. :p

5. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Hey guys. I actually think I'm gonna hold off on the TNG stuff, for now at least. cardinal biggles has got me a little excited to start working on Kirk's quarters with that image he posted. Plus the tests I've been doing with some TNG stuff are turning out more frustrating than I thought they would (having problems with lighting, of all things). The thought of starting another project at this time is a little more overwhelming than I thought it would be, and with so much work done on the TWOK sets, I think I'll just keep at it for a while.

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to go back and start to finish up the officer's lounge.

And jesus, I'm gonna contact Ptrope and see if he can change the name of this thread to "Donny's TOS and TWOK Enterprise Interiors."

6. cardinal biggles

:)

I also found this from scene in TMP with Ilia and the headband. It looks like this view of her quarters from inside the bed was only included in the 1983 Special Longer Version:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/bonus_tmp/televsionversion1983/quarters1_000.jpg

This reverse angle shot looks like Dr. Chapel is standing in front of the bunk.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/bonus_tmp/televsionversion1983/quarters1_007.jpg

7. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

I've been wanting to start on some movie era personnel quarters for years, but haven't even managed to start the most basic primitives. I especially like how they evolved during the first three films to represent multiple rooms (even Captain Styles got a reupholstery of the sleeping bunk on Excelsior), and even crossed into TNG for quite a bit of show there (representing quarters on no less than three different ships).

I know you started one a while back, so I can't wait to see what you do with it now, given your latest tech and freshest skills. :techman:

Maybe you should rename your thread "Donny's Trek Interiors" for the most umbrella effect. Nothing could be questioned then (until you dare model something from another franchise). ;)

8. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

Anybody know what was planned for the crew quarters set for TVH as described by Shane Johnson in this interview:

http://www.trekplace.com/shanejohnson.html

Furthermore, why redress a 23rd century set into a 20th century apartment anyway? Why not just use a 20th century apartment set from any number of productions around that time?

9. cardinal biggles

Yeah, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. On the other hand, redressing Kirk's San Francisco apartment that we see in TWOK and TSFS...

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Makes no sense to me, except maybe the stage fees were already being charged to the production so even an extensive redress of an existing Trek set would be cheaper than the alternative.

11. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

And Captain Styles is lying on a reupholstered bed in a redress of Kirk's cabin as his in TSFS:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=41083&fullsize=1

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=41093&fullsize=1

12. Donny

Just to show what work I've done recently, here is an early shot of the bar area right outside the officer's lounge. The bar, of course, can be seen behind Kirk in this shots of the TMP officer's lounge scene:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp2/normal_tmphd1232.jpg

But, I've given the area a TWOK makeover to match the rosewood/cream motif I've given the rest of the officer's lounge:

[​IMG]

You can see I borrowed a couple of details from the elevator foyer of the Starfleet Command lounge from TSFS, namely the UFP logo and the wall sconce:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tsfshd/normal_tsfshd0438.jpg

13. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Looks great! Your conjecture always seems appropriate to the rest of the official designs. Fits in seamlessly.

--Alex

14. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I officially want to hang out here. And it's TOS so I can have real booze.

15. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, you can have real booze in TNG too, you just have to ask the android at the bar. Or the woman with the AWACS hat.

16. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Great work! I always loved those sconces, and was especially happy that they made it into all 7 seasons of TNG, on the CMO's office walls (which I just noticed a few months ago). :)

17. Donny

Slowly chipping away at adding books to the lounge's bookshelf as well, which is proving to be a more tedious task than I thought it would be. I'm going to try and include everyone's suggestions, but I'm going to have to populate the shelves with generic, unlabeled books just to fill in all the damn space...

[​IMG]

18. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't suppose any of the Klingon language books that Uhura consulted in TUC ever got titles, did they?

19. cardinal biggles

I just peeked at the screencaps on TrekCore, and none of the books in that scene have visible titles (most are open anyway).

20. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Personally (working in a library), I wouldn't fill all the shelves to the brim with books, but leave some wiggle room here and there, and maybe even fill some excess space (or a few whole shelves) with decorative, evenly spaced tchotchke or bric-a-brac (classy stuff mind you... no green Orion dashboard-Hula dancers ;) ). As much as librarians love their books, I know quite a few that like to show off wood grain shelves on the rare occasion they can. It's all about the "marketing." Oh, and you might even add some IKEA lighting to the Tchotchke shelves.

Heh, I also love The Teachings of Surak right next to Vulcan Love Slave. :vulcan: What is that like... 50 Shades of Grey (Green?) for the 23rd century? (I don't dare Google that at work)

Nice touch with Falor's Journey too. I thought that sounded vaguely familiar. :D

For fun, you might even put up a book titled Let Me Help authored by Patrick Koluuunahmeheheh Tajnaahme. If the Memory Alpha wiki is to be trusted, the final shooting script for The City on the Edge of Forever listed that as the name of the author from Alnitak (Zeta Orionis) whom Kirk mentions to Edith Keeler with some high regard, for his use of the theme "Let me help." There's no apparent mention of the book's title however, but it's just for fun and would make a nice Easter Egg. :techman: