Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

More because the new OP is done by a J-Pop band considered "safe" for the MBS timeslot.

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The OP doesn't seem to fit the show, seems to be the main thing. Some are off on spoilers, but to be honest clips for Opening songs have been around a long time. That this one didn't show up until episode 16 might be something, and it only has clips up to episode 18 in it. Episode 19-22 don't come out on BD until Friday.

Star Blazers had clip opening and ending. The shots for the Op for season 2 were almost all from episode 25 of that series.

3. Ithekro

4. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Wow! WTF are they thinking? As an old/original Yamato fan, IMO this new opening absolutely sucks balls. Utter garbage.

5. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

For TV, I suppose it makes sense. There's probably a music video to go with it!

6. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope they bring back the original song. This is like having a pop song for a theme to a Star Trek series :p

-Chris

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yamato airs on the MBS Sunday 5:00 PM slot. This is kinda how they do things. Putting in J-Pop bands, trying to broaden the appeal to houses wives and fangirls. I'm surprised they didn't tell the writers and directors to edit the female characters down to background scenery because too much female presence might be considered inappropriate for the timeslot.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

As much as I love anime and studying the Japanese culture, legends and mysticism, there are still some things I will never fully understand.

9. Ithekro

The original OP is still on the BD version of the episodes and the theatrical releases.

An even more spoiler laiden clip form episode 21.

Do not watch if you don't want to be spoiled. This is about a delivery to a Gamilas prison world of a very special guest and the reenforment of how race has a pecking order in the Empire. (also that Commander Wulf is really a good guy under that mustache...and a badass)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbmJzTT6Z3c

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Nice to know I won't have to suffer fast forwarding through the 'new' titles when my Vol. 6 Blu-Ray arrives (was just e-mail notified they shipped it from Japan yesterday (Wednesday.) I should have it by next Tuesday.:)

11. Ithekro

12. RangerH

RangerH Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

13. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. 137th Gebirg

So, it looks like they'll be translating the 2010 Japanese live-action movie, instead of going with that insipid Disney-inspired version with the "Arizona" instead of "Yamato" or "Argo". Good! Looks like they're doing it right this time...

15. RangerH

They were in talks about the bringing the live action movie to the states back in 2011. Don't you think we would have heard about it being acquired by about early 2012? I think this maybe something else altogether.

16. 137th Gebirg

The international licensing of some of these things can be quite convoluted. Seems to me that a 3-4 year turn-around time on something like this wouldn't be too bad. And, as you say, they have been in talks since 2011, right after the movie released. Maybe they have finally come to an agreement.

17. RangerH

Who knows.... Actually, if other international markets had it a few months after it was released, then why didn't the US? That does not make sense. The first Godzilla movie was released in the US about a yr after it was released in Japan after filming scenes with Perry Mason (can not remember the actors name) himself in it for the American audience.

On another note:

This is what I found on Youtube recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKqawJeCVls

I do not know if this is fan made. But it looks like it is. But I do not want to get anyone's hopes up that this will happen. I did translate some of the comments, albeit, some did not make sense, but one was about it could happen.

So please do not think that this is official until someone says that they will be doing Yamato: Comet Empire.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  18. Ithekro

Check the date the video was posted...April 1st.

Some films get in quickly because someone with enough money wants the film. Otherwise negotionation can last a while. Also if the title only has one copyright or trademark holder it is easier as you only have to deal with one company rather that a half dozen.

Chapter 6 is out now on BD.

19. RangerH

20. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The warp effect is sort of a cross between Star Trek TMP and Galactica, it looks cool

-Chris