Am I the only one who loves SGU?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by samalex, Feb 24, 2012.

1. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

[LEFT]i enjoyed SGU especially it's dark setting. It was a big departure from the more lighter toned SG1 and SGA.

I do feel sad that nowdays we don't have any new space based sci fi shows on tv .:sigh: We got reruns of star trek and stargate to watch though and i do feel contend watching them.:)
    [/LEFT]

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well strictly speaking there is a space based sci-fi show, it's just on hiatus at the moment until it returns to the screens later in the year, "Red Dwarf", as well as DW of course, which just uses a different means of ship to travel between worlds.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ Those legendary British hiatuses. :lol:

I think Doctor Who is kind of pushing it in as a space-based series, almost like calling Star Trek a time travel series. Sure some episodes involve other planets but I don't think it's quite the same.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Indeed. Doctor Who is a genre all its own. I need a new space opera!

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well some shows just refuse to die.

6. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think they would've been woken up before they reached the other galaxy. Before three years had passed, Stargate Command would have found a way to appease the Langarans and use their planets power to dial the Destiny and set up a supply route.

That's what I like to think anyway.

Also, I miss Lt. James.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even if they did that, they'd nave no way to refuel the ship (no stars between galaxies) so it probably be safer to wait the three years until Destiny reached the new galaxy.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

What I wondered about Lt. James...

Did they intentionally cast someone with giant boobs so that they could make reference to them throughout the show, or did they cast an actress who happened to have big boobs and then decide that they should draw attention to them?

9. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Big boobs draw attention to themselves.

She was tough too; crackin' that whiner in the face. Maybe a little crazy too, like when she had that bug stuck in her neck.

Safer, yes, but that would've been part of the drama; stuck a million years from nowhere. Maybe they'd run into those guys from the Voyager episode where they were crossing between spiral arms. It would have been the IOA That forced the SGC to open the wormhole early.

Anyway, it's a moot point as we may never know...

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, yes, but I don't find that Stargate characters typically acknowledge those kinds of things as a part of the script. I just thought it was funny.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

It could be either one. They'll never admit which one is correct though at least not publicly. Anyway...nice rack so whichever reason it was it don't matter. :D

12. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got confused for a second there and thought I had somehow stumbled into the Voyager forum...

13. The Wormhole

I don't think it was intentional since the series did exactly two jokes about it. The referance to McKay staring at her chest, and then actually seeing McKay staring at her chest.

14. david lowbridge

david lowbridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

yer i think it was coincidental. However interesting James was originally suppose to get get pregnent not TJ. But the actress who plays TJ actually was pregnent so they decided (for the 3rd time) to use that.

Interestingly, every time a character (and hence an actress) has gotten pregnent on the show, they've cancelled the series the next season - i'm seeing a pattern...

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

And they had a whole kinosode devoted to 'em...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujXc6nWK4To[/yt]

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I liked SGU plenty. The characters were a little less likeable than prior incarnations, but I felt that it tried not to be as trapped by cliche science fiction tropes like SGA tended to be, and SG1 tended to parady (the latter being preferable). In some ways they failed, and others they succeeded. I honestly felt quite bad for Eli in the final ep and I couldn't stand him through most of the series - too many shades of Wesley Crusher with that one, but not quite as annoying.

And yes...Lt. James..."I'm up here!" :lol:

17. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really disliked SGU. It just didn't feel like a SG series. I only watched about 4 episodes, and everytime I just didn't like it, except for one episode. The soldiers were going against the civilians, trying to take over the ship. The episode wanted you to like the civilians. Personally, I sided with the soldiers, and hoped the civilians got defeated. I'm not even sure why they were against each other (I hadn't seen the episode preceding it) but I just felt that the soldiers were right, and the civilians were wrong. But, besides that episode, every other time I tried to watch thew series, I just got bored.

18. The Wormhole

That went the other way around, the civilians wanted to take control from the military. For the stupidest of reasons too. The civilians felt they should have been in charge since in civilized countries the military anwers to civilians. Conveniently ignoring that they were hired by the military and signed a contract saying they accepted military authority.

19. Xerxus

Xerxus Commander Red Shirt

It had to do with the fact that Young was starting to go off the hinges, and that (as far as the civilians know) he left Rush to die on the planet just because they disagreed.

20. The Wormhole

Thing is, no one on the ship (military or civilian) liked Rush and at that point a lot of them were blaming him for stranding them out there. So why would anyone turn on Young for ditching Rush?