Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Highlanders thru to Faceless Ones sold a bit better. But yep, thats pretty much it for Power, Evil, 10th Planet.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. The Four Doctor

The Four Doctor Commander Red Shirt

Simpson Park, Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks. I still can't believe the Australian and NZ censors were so extreme conservative. Oak and Quill were pretty innocuous and they still were cut out.

3. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

So which episodes are the ones likely gone forever - Mission to the Unknown and DMP 7?

4. diankra

Nothing is certain (particularly single episode recoveries - eg three episodes of Masterplan tuŕning up), but...
    If this is an astonishingly massive find, like the rumoured 90 eps (rather than the more likely but still astonishing 20-odd that's also going around) then the episodes least likely to be found are Mission, Masterplan, 10th Planet, Power and Evil (which adds up to 23 episodes, so 90 would mean some of them are in there).

The rough rundown of likelyhood, if it's a recovery from an overseas TV station at some remove, is:
    Least likely: Masterplan 7 (maybe never even transferred to film).
    Masterplañ & Mission (never shown overseas and only sent out to Australia - but see note above about single episodes!)
    Power, Evil, 10th Planet (Barely sold overseas due to Terry Nation blocking sales of Dalek stories).
    Highlanders thru to Faceless Ones (not great sellers).
    Abominable Snowmen to Wheel in Space (slightly betetr sellers).
    Galaxy 4 to Smugglers (quite good sellers, though sales were sliding off compared with seasons one and two).

That's in terms of full stories, based on number of sales, and covers only the largely missing season 3 to 5: difficult to work out the chances for the few missing eps for 1, 2 & 6 (as, obviously, the rest of the season came back already from the best sources).

And today's news may well prove all this wrong!

5. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. The Four Doctor

Be good to see how they did the split screen in Enemy.

8. diankra

They mostly didn't. The two only meet in one scene and most of the two-shots were damaged in the camera, to the director's disappointment. He had to do the scene mainly through intercutting.

9. The Four Doctor

I wouldn't mind seeing Snowmen turn up, just to have a Yeti double. It's sad that Bill Hartnell and Pat Troughton aren't around to celebrate.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, but it's not like that would have been very likely anyway. Were Hartnell still alive he would have been 105, which although not impossible is very unlikely all the same.

Although, Troughton would have been 93, which is within the realm of reasonable possibility.

11. diankra

If it is Enemy of the World, it's sad that it's a few years too late for Barry Letts to see it again.

12. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That is a real shame. I wish he were still around.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm happy to see anything come back. I didn't start watching Doctor Who until it was on PBS stations, 'round about 1979, when I was 15, so, I started with Tom Baker. So, I have no childhood memories of the Troughton or Hartnell, so, every newly found episode is new to me (And actually, I've only, at the beginning of this year, seen the whole Troughton run, including the Recons. Previously, I'd only seen Tomb and War Games, I think.)

Enemy of the World is definitely one of the Recons I am excited to see the recovered episodes for.

14. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That's pretty much my story as well and I started watching the same year on PBS! However, I was lucky that my PBS station did get the Hartnell and Troughton packages.

I'll be super happy with any returned episodes! So glad that there are any still being found after all of these years!

Mr Awe

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh, yea, they did air Hartnell and Troughton once all the rest were all shown, but, there weren't a whole lot of them, and I apparently missed most of what Troughton there was (In fact, I thought War Games was two seperate Serials, when I initially saw it, :alienblush: because I missed a couple parts, and the beginning is so different from the end of the Serial).

Some of the Brits on the board, though, seem to have seen them all as a child when they were first broadcast.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  16. The Four Doctor

If The Myth Makers is indeed returned, will the DVD have an extra about the real Greek myths, i wonder?

17. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ohhh, Anneke Wills has tweeted she's attending a "Secret" screening in London tomorrow. Assuming it's not a completely unrelated event (about the only thing it could be is a press screening for the Hartnell docu-drama surely?) that seems to be firm confirmation some Ben and Polly is back in the archive as well. With the Monbase DVD delayed I'd say the odds are pretty good on that (or maybe whatever odd episodes from other stories that have been found will be packaged with it?).

Shame Peter Purves doesn't know anything about any recoveries, looks like Stephen has lucked out.

18. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I haven't heard anything to suggest that The Myth Makers is one of the "returned" stories, sadly.

19. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Anneke Wills, Peter Purves, Carol Ann ford and William Russell will now reportedly be attending the 'event'.

20. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Could someone explain why Rich Johnston now thinks it's not true:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10...sodes-have-not-been-officially-announced-yet/

You started the feckin rumour avalanche in the first place, Rich!!