Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

4 or 5 posts up.

No booth at Comicon.

Maybe they'll release the pic, but they're not proud about it.

I would start my Fantastic Four movie with a pregnant Sue, shortly after the death of Reed Richards, in her maternity miniskirt (It was a the 70s. jack was a weirdo or I'm imagining things.) trying to decide if she's going to start dating Dr Doom or Namor...

Julian McMahon is Australian. Try to imagine if the Latverian accent was INDISTINGUISHABLE from an Australian accent?

:D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize they had even started filming.
    I do agree that the lack of promotion, especially at Comic-Con, does seem kind of odd. I had just assumed they didn't have anything done to show yet, but if they're done filming you'd think there would be something they could show somewhere.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Not saying this is necessarily the case, but, wouldn't it be nice if they weren't at Comic-Con and aren't deluging social media and entertainment hype chambers because they're putting all their focus on actually making a good movie?

I'm not saying you can't do both - DOFP was at Comic-Con last year, and it's outstanding. But I haven't been to any movie Cons, yet am already sick to death of BvS: D'oh!, and am dreading two more damn years of hearing about it every other damn week, when I'm 90% sure it's gonna end up sucking anyway. :p

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i love the FF...but it just seems like there will never be a good film based on the comic.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Is it normal to shoot a major comic book movie in only three months time? That sounds really fast.

6. Guy Gardener

If they're just trying to keep the rights, it's possible.

Use it or lose it.

I can Imagine Kevin Spacey ringing up Kate Mara... "Katey! katey! You know I always wanted to play Doctor Doom! You should have told them you could get me in, it would have been superb!"

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!!! [/Spacey-Luthor]

:p

8. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Three months is pretty quick, but it sounds like Josh Trank's Fantastic Four is going to be a lot more grounded than what we've seen before. If rumors are true and this was done in the vein/style of Chronicle, then I can understand the short shooting time. Chronicle had plenty of effects but they were utilized very subtly.

It's also possible only Kate Mara is wrapped. Film productions are notorious for shooting scenes non-sequentially and out of order. It is very possible Mara has shot all of her scenes but principal photography has not yet quite wrapped.

Regardless, though, I doubt Fox wants the movie to "die". If they did, they wouldn't have went through so many rewrites and entrusted the film with someone like Josh Trank, who is no Brett Ratner. It sounds like Fox is taking a possibly risky approach with this reboot but I have faith in Trank to deliver a good movie. It might be a bit different than what we are expecting/accustom to, but in the age of comic-book movies doing the same thing over and over again... I'm actually excited at the prospect of something different. I'm going to give Trank and co. the benefit of the doubt before writing off the movie completely as of yet.

9. Guy Gardener

It's not a question of wanting it to die.

It's a question of budget.

The studio gave this project an inflexible budget that would result in a particular sort of movie, which is an incredibly broad statement that could be said about any movie ever made.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

No, I think Alidar Jarok just misinterpreted what I was saying.

I see that Fox have already set a 2017 release date for its sequel, so perhaps my pessimism that they are not going to support this film is misplaced.

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't the first Avengers shot in over 60 days or so? Remember, comic book films involve a lot of SFX, which takes up the majority of production/post-production. Shooting the actual scenes with actors shouldn't take a lot longer then your average film, except for setting up scenes where actors have to do physical stunts on wires or something.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Because that's what you want in a film where one guy stretches like a rubber band, another guy is a super-strong rock monster, and another guy flies around on fire...subtlety.

13. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Maybe they didn't want to bring it to Comic Con because it's so different from the source material and they were afraid of fan backlash?

The whole reason for bringing movies to San Diego is to start positive buzz by getting the hardcore fans really excited. If they thought that the fans might not like what they had to show, that could be a reason why they thought SDCC wasn't the ideal place to present a first look at the movie.

14. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That date doesn't mean anything. Sony had a date scheduled for Amazing Spider-man 4, and they deleted that entire movie from their schedule after Amazing Spider-man 2 had its run in theaters.

Studios block out a date to stake a claim; they have not green lit anything here.

15. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

You misunderstood what I said. Unless you're being sarcastic. :p

Given how Chronicle was done in a found footage format, the VFX was steathily incorporated into some scenes (such as security camera footage or cell phone footage, for example). If the new Fantastic Four movie is going a similar route, we might see a more grounded or practical application of the VFX this time around. I'm not saying it's appropriate for the source material. I'm just saying it's possible.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Found Footage Fantastic Four?

That would be weird.

17. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

^ I think Trank has explicitly stated at some point that it won't be found footage.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I wish it was a found footage film...that'd just be the icing on the cake. :)

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Me? Sarcastic? Perish forbid!

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Having not paid this movie much attention previously, I've just read most of this thread.

I kind of enjoyed the two previous films and assumed this reboot would be an improvement designed to fit in with Mark Millar's idea of a shared FF/X-Men continuity that had subtle nods to the MCU or at least didn't contradict it, so that they could theoretically occupy the same universe.

Now it looks like it's not set in the X-Men continuity, not allowing for the MCU and judging from the previous posts, looks like being a complete cluster**** !

I find it hard to credit that seeing how the MCU has taken off and that Sony are planning to expand the Spider Man franchise (and admit to being open themselves to 'subtle nods' to the MCU) that Fox are actually intent on releasing a stand alone FF movie rather than making the most of the rights that they have.