Ginger or Mary Ann?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Feb 4, 2014.

?

Death is not an option!

1. Ginger

22 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. Mary Ann

53 vote(s)
    70.7%
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Mary Ann is undeniably hotter and sweeter, but I feel there's a lot to like about Ginger's personality once you look past the surface. True, she was initially written as a vapid Marilyn Monroe clone, and that's a type she later reverted to when recast for the animated series and reunion movies, but for most of the series, Tina Louise brought a great deal of intelligence, canniness, humor, and strength. She wasn't just a sex object to satisfy male fantasies; she was a shrewd and self-possessed woman who understood, embraced, and utilized her own libido for her own reasons and goals.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, there seems to be "something" to Ginger's character and, really, she wore the Minnow's tarps and sails well. ;)

Now, not to malign Mary Ann who is beautiful in many ways and probably more attractive over all than Ginger but, the latter just has a certain... "smokiness" to her. One's the "girl-next-door" one is the fantasy girl.

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I read sentences like this and I find myself utterly confused...until I remind myself that guys around here thought Cobie Smulders was hotter than Scarlett Johanssen in The Avengers and i realize trying to make sense out of these sentiments is pointless.

I'm sticking with Team Ginger. You guys do what you want.

4. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. Jeannie :techman:

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

this. :bolian:

6. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Buffy Season 1 Cordelia or Angel Season 3 Cordelia? (Though almost always agreed either way).

7. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Velma Dinkley > Daphne Blake (especially when the former's played by Linda Cardellini and Hayley Kiyoko)

For YOU. But ONLY for YOU.

8. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While I admit that she had gotten much hotter by Season 3 of Angel, I will ALWAYS choose Willow over Cordy.

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the people who crowned Dawn Wells as Miss Nevada were probably all Forbidden Planet nuts. :rolleyes:

10. Trekker4747

"Attractive" doesn't have to be limited to physical beauty. Mary Ann had a better overall personality and demeanor than Ginger which bumps up her attractiveness.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Always had a thing for Julie haha. And my jokes are probably no worse than Mr. Kotter... Bailey too.

I agree with Trekker though that Ginger has grown on me through the years.

12. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uh, no. Just no.

I would hardly call Bailey a "dirty little minx." If she were that, I wouldn't find her nearly so much more appealing than Jennifer. (And the main thing I found appealing about Jennifer was that she had more raw intellect than Carlson, Herb, and Les put together, and was independently wealthy, with no need to work for a living, and yet she not only stuck around WKRP, but used her position as "trophy receptionist" to quietly keep the fools from destroying the place. In other words, she was to Carlson, Herb, and Les what 99 was to Max. (Although I've always found a young Barbara Feldon better looking than Loni Anderson.)

Bailey, I found appealing because she (like Mrs. Kotter, and Mindy McConnell) was of an earthy, playful sort of beauty.

Incidentally, unlike a lot of people, I didn't have a problem with the DVD release of WKRP substituting production needle-drops for the real top-40 songs, except on the rare occasions where the real song was crucial to a joke. WKRP wasn't about rock music; it was about a radio station where the people supposedly in charge are idiots. And a good chunk of the humor would have worked just as well even if WKRP had been, say, a classical station.

(Now, can we get a chorus of the Morrison Tires [formerly Ferryman Funeral Home] jingle?)

And yes, when I actually watched Gilligan's Island, I did find Mary-Ann more appealing than Ginger And I don't recall having a preference between Jeanie the Genie and Samantha the Witch.

13. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Right. I get she was a sweet farm girl. I find "Sweet Farm Girl" ridiculously boring.

:wtf: WTF does this even mean?

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Mary Ann easily surpasses Ginger in physical beauty as well.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, the question is, what does this even mean:

16. Trekker4747

Ehhh.... I dunno. Red hair. Beauty mark....

17. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I wasn't even so much thinking physically. But yeah, aside from brief periods I'm the same.

18. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Andy wasn't dumb, though, and he was the program director as well.

19. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, so you were talking about Bitchy Cordy vs. Nice Cordy? She definitely became much more likeable once she started getting the visions and realized she's not the center of the universe. It's not that I dislike her by any means. I just find Willow irresistably charming.

20. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I have Dawn Wells friended on Facebook, and she's still an absolute doll.

Ginger was too high-maintenance. Mary Ann was the knockout next door.