Calling all authors...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by SLWalker, Dec 31, 2008.

1. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

All right. Since the Trek Twelve Days of Christmas is behind schedule (which means I have enough time to build another book), I'm going to call for submissions and put together a Star Trek winter/Christmas anthology eBook. So, here's what I'll take:

1.) Must be G - PG-13. Slash is fine, just keep it inside of that rating.
    2.) Must be either winter or Christmas (or any other winter holiday) related.
    3.) Must be reasonably well-edited; or, at least, editable.
    4.) Any crew (including originals), any timeline welcome. Just make sure that you tell me what crew, what era (or universe) it takes place in.
    5.) Real names preferred for the pages, but not absolutely required.
    6.) Prior works are allowed, so if you've already written a story like this, send it on in.

To send submissions, PM me for my e-mail address so you can send it direct. C'mon, folks, send me some stuff! Here's your chance to get something put into a sort-of novel. ;-) Ask Sam, I make pretty books.

If I get too many submissions, I'll kick back those I would need to do the most work on -- copy-editing and whatnot. So, please, please send your cleanest works, if you can, or have someone give them a read over before you send 'em to me. It takes many hours to lay a book out, and it'll take me a whole lot more if I have to edit as well as do the layout.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  2. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

No problem, I'm still working on "Exeter". My old group was killed, with the story in the FILES area, so I'm re-writing it & storing the WIP file at my new group's files area.

3. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

And how would it be Christmas or holiday-related, when we have never seen Starfleet crew openly celebrating Christmas, on board any ship or Starbase?

4. SLWalker

That's why we have fanfiction. ;-) And it could be winter-themed without being holiday themed, too. I mean, unless you think planets stopped having seasons. :D

ETA: And Picard was celebrating Christmas in the Nexus in Generations, too.

5. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there any length minimum or maximum? Depending on what it is, I'm thinking of entering "Captives' Ransom." Would that be OK?

6. Whoa Nellie

Whoa Nellie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also in the TOS episode "Dagger of the Mind," we are told that Captain Kirk first met Dr. Helen Noel at the Enterprise Science lab Christmas party.:)

Warmest Wishes,
    Whoa Nellie

7. SLWalker

Well, no novels, but no... no word limits, short or long. Obviously a whole novel won't work. ;-) Other than that, it's all good. Just PM me so I can give you my e-mail addy and you can send it there -- where I'm staging all submissions from.

8. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Well, again, that was at Picard's house, on Earth, not a Starfleet ship or installation. That's why I asked, because there is no real canonical evidence other than that TOS episode, of people celebrating a Christmas event on board anything Starfleet.

But aye... it is fiction. :D

9. SLWalker

Yup.

10. SLWalker

Given time constraints and real life (dreaded thing for creativity), Kirok and I have decided to push back the release of the winter anthology. It's still in the works, but it'll be released later than intended.

The good news is, this gives authors who are willing to write for it more time. We especially need stories for Enterprise, Voyager and DS9, and any original crew stories you'd like to add as well. Just read the guidelines in the first post and don't be afraid to send in submissions -- this is a chance to expose your work to a wide audience and perhaps gain some new fans!

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I've written some Christmas-themed Star Trek filks; would you be interested in those? Or is it too out of date by now?

12. SLWalker

LOL! A couple filks thrown in there wouldn't hurt in the least. ;)