top dr who episodes

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by tmosler, May 26, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I heard dr who was good so i was wondering what good episodes there are

2. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well my favourite episodes are Logopolis (4th Dr), The End of Time (10th Dr), The Two Doctors (6th & 2nd Drs), The 1996 TV Movie (8th Dr), and The Tomb of they Cybermen (2nd Dr), but Most people tend to have different tastes to me. What I'd do is try one story of each doctor and see which ones you prefer. Here's a list of my recommendations:

1st Doctor - The Daleks: Most people prefer the Dalek Invasion of Earth, but this first encounter with them has such a better storyline. In regon 2, it's in a boxset with An Unearthly Child and The Edge of Destruction (the 1st and 3rd serials ever), so that's a good place to start.

2nd Doctor - The Tomb of the Cybermen: the definitive Cyberman story. A lot of people also like "The Invasion" with the Cybermen in, but that's like an part serial and drags on like forever. This one is only four parts.

3rd Doctor - The Three Doctors and The Green Death - The Three Doctors s a fun story which brings back the second doctor for a serial and also briefly the first doctor. The reason the first doctor was not in this one much is because he was ill at the time. I think William Hartnel died soon after. The Green Death because in my eyes, it's the best non multi 3rd doctor serial. People always recommend the Silurian's' and The Sea Devils, but they're some of those awful typical third doctor stories that try to deal with current political problems while also trying to be a sci-fi. Also, the Planet of the Daleks is moderately popular, but is really just a dull remake of the Daleks serial (see above) which dragged on.

4th Doctor - Genesis of the Daleks: Just because it's the definitive fourth doctor serial and quite possibly the definitive dalek serial. It can drag a little, but I've not seen it in years. Also try The Keeper of Traken and Logopolis. Two great stories part of a trilogy with two fourth doctor serials and one fifth doctor serial. The fifth doctor one is a bit silly though, but the fourth doctor serials in the trilogy are great.

Fifth Doctor - Earthshock: Duh! The ultimate fifth doctor serial in my opinion, and made one of the most hated companions ever into a hero. People also like the Five Doctors, but I think it's the weakest of all the multi doctor serials (not counting time crash). It's okay, but the other two are outstanding. Another popular one is the Caves of Andorsi or whatever, but I confess I've not seen it. Been looking out for it, but it's too expensive. £20 for a DVD, NO THANK YOU! Not even many special features. Waiting until the special edition come out.

Sixth Doctor - The Two Doctors and Revelation of the Daleks: Despite being one of the most unpopular doctors of his time and even being the only doctor to ever be sacked from the role, Colin Baker stared in some amazing serials. The Two Doctors is a fun romp which returns the second doctor onscreen for the last time. Also some great Sontaran action in this one. Wish we saw more of them in the classic series. Only four serials, shocking! Revelation of the Daleks is also fantastic and in my opinion on of the best dalek stories of all time. Probably the darkest story of the classic series as well. Great fun to watch. Vengeance on Varos is also popular, give that one a go too, can't go wrong with it, and if you have the stomach for it, try the epic fourteen part serial "A Trial of a Timelord". Cool story ark with many sub stories in.

Seventh Doctor - Remembrance of the Daleks and Survival: Remembrance of the Daleks as it's the most popular seventh doctor serial and the last appearance of the daleks in the classic series, and survival because it's the last classic serial ever, and is just a good romp.

Eighth Doctor - The TV Movie: Well it is the only eighth doctor story on screen anyway. It is a gooden though despite what anyone says. Give it a chance. ;)

Ninth Doctor - All of series 1: I can't name a bad ninth doctor episode at all. Just watch everything! He only appeared in one series. The best ones though are probably Aliens of London/World War Three where the Slitheen invade earth, Dalek which deals with one rogue dalek in an underground base in America which is probably the best dalek story ever, Bad Wolf/The Parting of Ways which is the Ninth doctors swansong and another great dalek story, probably as good as Dalek, Fathers Day which is a weird one, but really enjoyable, and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances which is Steven Moffats writing at it's very best. Hugely enjoyable.

The Tenth Doctor - So many, I can't even list them all!: Okay here we go: Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel, among the very best Cybermen stories ever, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday which is an epic Dalek Cyberman crossover, The Lazarus Experiment which is just a great Doctor Who story and in my opinion the most chilling monster in the shows 50 year history, Utopia/The Sound of Drums/The Last of the Timelords which is an epic three parter featuring the return of a very special villain (;)), The Sontaran Stratagem/ The Poisen Sky which is a fantastic Sontaran invasion, The Stolen Earth/Journeys End which has the return of all the doctors companions since the revival series, the Daleks, and their creator Davros, The Next Doctor which is a quirky story with Cybermen and Maybe another Doctor (;)), and the End of Time which is Tennants swan song and the return of the Master!

The Eleventh Doctor - The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, The Angels Take Manhattan, and Cold War: TIA/DOTM is a great two parter with great enemies, probably the best Eleventh Doctor story, TATM is a great Weeping Angel story which pretty much matches TIA/DOTM, and Cold War which is the awesome return of the Ice Warriors. Reminded me of "Dalek" (see above) with the fact there is only one ice warrior on a base.

3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

The latest series (7) is kind of middle of the road in terms of style, so maybe it's a good place to start? Asylum of the Daleks, not the preceding Christmas episode, it is not good :p.

The stagey aesthetic of the classic series can be weird at first, so it should be easier to get into with the newer episodes. Also "season" means 1963-1989 (or all) while "series" is 2005 onwards. Series 5 might be a bit closer to classic series though.

Series 1 has its own weird sub-style so it might be less representative, even if all seasons have a bit of their own style, that is one of the more peculiar ones.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  4. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Classic series is far superior but in terms of New Who episodes I'd consider great:

Dalek
    The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
    The Girl in the Fireplace
    Gridlock
    Blink
    Human Nature/Family of Blood
    Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
    Midnight
    Turn Left
    The Waters of Mars
    The Eleventh Hour
    Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone
    Amy's Choice
    Vincent and The Doctor
    The Lodger
    The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang
    The Doctor's Wife
    The Girl Who Waited
    The God Complex
    Asylum of the Daleks
    Angels Take Manhattan
    Cold War
    The Crimson Horror
    The Name of The Doctor

I suggest starting with Series 5 as the first 4 series of New Who are hugely inconsistent.

Also, whoever suggested Rise of the Cybermen uh... please explain!?

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

6. Konata Izumi

I have no idea why Meglos is so poorly liked. It has many cool things in it and is pulls you in pretty well.
    you came close to me:o

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Plus we have a rare instance of Barbara finally snapping and becoming a religious Zealot :devil:

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, no Utopia on that list of 200, that episode was epic and surprising and is certainly one of my top episodes.

9. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They counted it as a three parter with Last Of The Time Lords.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Though in that poll, it is interesting that the Fifth Doctor's final stroy was the winner. "Genesis of the Daleks" being highly rated wasn't suprising.

11. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a bit difficult to make suggestions without knowing your sensibilities, as Doctor Who has been around for so long and been so many different things over the years. Here's a good overview of the series and a 50th anniversary trailer/overview, which may help to understand which style or era might appeal to you. :)

12. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Genesis of the daleks, Earthshock, Caves of Androzani. 3 of my favourites.

13. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

14. Green Lantern

Oh, out of the new series of Doctor Who, here's what I'd recommend:

Ninth Doctor:
    *Aliens of London/World War Three
    *Dalek
    *Fathers Day
    *The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
    *Bad Wolf/The Parting of Ways

Tenth Doctor:
    *Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel
    *Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
    *The Lazarus Experiment
    *Utopia/The Sound of Drums/The Last of the Timelords
    *Planet of the Ood
    *The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky
    *The Stolen Earth/Journeys End
    *The Next Doctor
    *The Waters of Mars
    *The End of Time

Eleventh Doctor:
    *The Eleventh Hour
    *The Impossible Astronaut/Day of The Moon
    *Closing Time
    *Asylum Of the Daleks
    *The Angels Take Manhattan
    *The Bells of Saint John
    *Cold War
    *Nightmare in Silver
    *Name of the Doctor

Note I nearly didn't put Asylum of the Daleks, Nightmare in Silver, or Name of the Doctor in.

15. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

NuWho has (in the general scheme of things) been the most successful sci-fi show since Star Trek: The Next Generation, and it's hard to pick the best episodes:

Ninth Doctor:
    "Rose"
    "The End of the World"
    "The Unquiet Dead"
    "Dalek"
    "The Long Game"
    "Father's Day"
    "The Empty Child"/"The Docter Dances"
    "Bad Wolf"/"The Parting of the Ways"

Tenth Doctor:
    "The Christmas Invasion"
    "School Reunion"
    "The Girl in the Fireplace"
    "The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit"
    "Army of Ghosts"/"Doomsday"
    "The Runaway Bride"
    "Smith & Jones"
    "The Shakespeare Code"
    "Gridlock"
    "Human Nature"/"The Family of Blood"
    "Blink"
    "Utopia"/"The Sound of Drums"
    "Time Crash"
    "The Fires of Pompeii"
    "The Sontaran Stratagem"/"The Poisoned Sky"
    "Silence in the Library"/"Forest of the Dead"
    "Midnight"
    "Turn Left"
    "The Stolen Earth"/"Journey's End"
    "The Waters of Mars"
    "The End of Time"

Eleventh Doctor
    "The Eleventh Hour"
    "The Time of Angels"/"Flesh and Stone"
    "Amy's Choice"
    "Vincent and the Doctor"
    "The Lodger"
    "The Pandorica Opens"/"The Big Bang"
    "A Christmas Carol"
    "The Impossible Astronaut"/"Day of the Moon"
    "The Doctor's Wife"
    "A Good Man Goes to War"
    "Let's Kill Hitler"
    "The Girl Who Waited"
    "The God Complex"
    "The Wedding of River Song"
    "Asylum of the Daleks"
    "A Town Called Mercy"
    "The Snowmen"
    "Cold War"
    "Hide"
    "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS"
    "The Crimson Horror"
    "The Name of the Doctor"

16. Konata Izumi

Just knowing these two exist puts my soul at peace.

Let's Kill Hitler; Such a pretty portrayal, without an ounce of banality, of everyone being little Hitlers, while people act inoffensively lively.

The Rings of Akhaten; Empoweringly concluding episode, that soothingly reminds of bad things, while being very sunny orange.

Other favourites:

The Name of the Doctor

The Bells of Saint John

A Good Man Goes to War

The Beast Below

The Girl Who Waited seems like it should work super efficiently, but for some reason I haven't cared that much.

Just current era episodes for now.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I loved Genesis of the Daleks and Dalek equally well for one and two...

18. Green Lantern

Okay, just wanna redo my top list, plus I have a new favourite to add!

Logopolis: An excellent adventure, great pace, great acting! Just a personal favourite for me really, just a good bit of fun. Nothing to do with being awesome and whatnot, just plain fun, and is always one of the serials I turn to when bored.

The End of Time: Fantastic finale to Tennant's tenure as the Doctor. Dig the return of the Time Lords, the return f the Master, and yet again just a fave for personal reasons. Plus all the excitement over a new doctor!

The Two Doctors: Just love it to bits! Troughton just stole the show, although Bakers performance was also excellent. Just sums up what a good doctor who story should be. Good acting, a good mix of humour and serious scenes, and the return of old and new faces! The Sontarans are at their very best here.

The Planet of Spiders: A recent one to add to my list as I've just seen it recently. Just a fantastic finale to Pertwee's era in Doctor Who, the spiders were fantastic villains. I so want them to return! Maybe they'd be fun for Matt Smiths regeneration story. I especially love the scene where the Doctor's in that cave with "the great one" and the great one just torments the doctor. "Is that fear is can feel in you, you are not accustomed to fear are you doctor, it is very wise for you to be afraid!" Great dialogue (yeah I probably got it wrong, but you get the drift). Plus I usually don't like 6 part serials as they usually drag on for too long, so this must be a good serial if it kept my attention for most of it.

Tomb of the Cybermen: Just a classic, enjoyable! Fun to watch, plus I love the whole retro 60s sci-fi thing going on in it.

The 1996 TV Movie: Just pure awesomeness! Has produced one of my favourite doctors, I wish McGann was in more stories. If so, he may have become my favourite. Loved the whole style of everything in it. The TARDIS was pure awesome.

Some other great ones I feel should be acknowledged are; Dalek, Revelation of the Daleks, Bad Wolf/The Parting of Ways, The Two Doctors, The Keeper of Traken, Earthshock, The trial of a Timelord, Survival, Aliens of London/World War Three, Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, The Master Trilogy, Planet of the Ood, The Sontaran Stratagem/Poison Sky, The Stolen Earth/Journeys End, The Next Doctor, The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, The Angels Take Manhattan, and Cold War.

19. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

My 10 favorite stories

1-"The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang"
    2-"Gridlock"
    3-"Vincent and the Doctor"
    4-"Human Nature/The Family of Blood"
    5-"Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords"
    6-"The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon"
    7-"The Doctor's Wife"
    8-"The Lodger"
    9-"Love & Monsters"
    10-"The Eleventh Hour"

Not really a fan of the classic series.

20. Green Lantern

Why is that one so popular? I've just re-watched that one today, probably the first time I've seen it since it's original broadcast. I remember it as being absolutely appalling, a snooze fest. Re watched it, didn't hate it this time round, didn't like it much either though. Some things I liked were the classic series like corridors (although I wish it match the console room better, although I'd prefer the console room to match the corridors), the brief return of the RTD TARDIS (Smith would have suited that TARDIS well), and I noticed that some of the music in it reminded me of the Davison and C. Baker era music. especially the corridor scenes.

I found Idris bloody annoying though. She was pathetic. I don't like giving the TARDIS a personality, I prefer to just have it as a machine. The sentimental bit at the end with the doctor crying was awful. Plus I felt the whole plot was a bit weak. In Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel, the Doctor says it's pretty much near impossible to go from universe to universe, but in this one a being trapped in a sort of pocket universe somehow send a message box (plot hole alert! If that could be sent, why doesn't he just get himself out of there?) and then the doctor just goes blundering in.

The problem with Moffat is by trying to be clever and make big twists, he sometimes (often) makes plot holes as a result.)