Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 26 2015, 01:33 PM   #91
hux
Captain

Re: New Top Gear

Apparently, Louis Theroux's new documentary series is being bumped up the schedule due to Top Gears removal

So you Top Gear fans can now enjoy an episode about pre-teen transgender children.

The world just became a better place

http://youtu.be/dRZo8CHsgp8
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2015, 02:07 PM   #92
Saul
Rear Admiral

I remember old top gear quite well and it wasn't half as interesting as the new top gear. The cars I wanted to see were the cars they reviewed now. Fast, sexy cars . Old Top Gear was often boring and bland until Clarkson appeared and shook things up with his outspoken reviews which also got him in trouble back then.
Old March 26 2015, 02:27 PM   #93
Squiggy
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Lance wrote: View Post
Look up "Old Top Gear Episodes" on Youtube, and you'll see what the show was like back in the 1980s, before Clarkson came along: it was a serious magazine-style show in which a number of regular hosts had segments detailing topics of interest to car enthusiasts. Simple as that.
Which are none of the reasons why current Top Gear was popular.
Old March 26 2015, 02:54 PM   #94
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I'd rather sit through a lecture on the dos and don'ts of proper Victorian social etiquette than watch an episode of old Top Gear.
Old March 26 2015, 03:21 PM   #95
Squiggy
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I'd rather sit through a lecture on the dos and don'ts of proper Victorian social etiquette than watch an episode of old Top Gear.
Old Top Gear (TG Prime?) was closer to a Victorian social equitte close than nuTG.

Remember that Ford Fiesta review?
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM   #96
Lonemagpie
Writer

Hammond and May have both suggested on social media that they won't be returning, so whatever series we get next year won't be Top Gear as we know it. So much of what it was depends on the interplay of that trio...

The BBC is also apparently trying to figure out what to do with the pre-filmed bits of the final three episodes. What they *should* do is just air them as a special or two. What they more likely *will* do is release them as DVD/BR exclusives and make the fans pay again...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM   #97
Starkers
Admiral

That’s the weird thing, whilst they’ve cancelled new episodes they’ve still been showing old episodes on BBC3
Old Today, 01:45 PM   #98
Lance
Commodore

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
Look up "Old Top Gear Episodes" on Youtube, and you'll see what the show was like back in the 1980s, before Clarkson came along: it was a serious magazine-style show in which a number of regular hosts had segments detailing topics of interest to car enthusiasts. Simple as that.
Which are none of the reasons why current Top Gear was popular.
Indeed, and I didn't claim otherwise. I admitted that the current format is popular, and there's no question that the reformat in 2001 saved the show from obscurity (it certainly delivered it to a mass international audience!). But what I was actually suggesting was that the format is more flexible than people think. Yes, the Parkson/May/Hammond trio have made Top Gear the massive money-spinner that it is. But that doesn't mean they're the only ones who can host it. The fact that Top Gear already existed for nearly a quarter-century before these three guys ever became the hosts of it is proof of that.

I just think the whole internet "OH NOEZ, TOP GEARCAN'T GO ON WITHOUT CLAKRSON!!!!1!!" backdraft is a complete over-reaction. Of course it can.

EDIT:

Bob The Skutter wrote:
What they need to do is allow the Clarksonless Top Gear become its own show rather than try to ape what it was.
Absolutely. They need to think of Clarkson's departure as an opportunity to rethink the show. If they simply tried to replicate lighting in a bottle with a new team, then I think they'd be flogging a dead horse.

I'm not suggesting going back to a serious-style magazine program like it was before 2001. But maybe, just maybe, they could incorporate something like that into the more light-hearted fun stuff. But do it in a jazzy modern style. No reason it couldn't work.

Whatever they do, it needs to be different.

Last edited by Lance; Today at 02:25 PM.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote