Big Finish DW license extended to 2020

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Nightowl1701, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-licenced-extended-to-2020

More adventures for Doctors Four to Eight, along with the NuWho UNIT series and (presumably) more of Gallifrey, Jago & Litefoot and other assorted spinoffs. No mention of anything NuWho apart from the aforementioned UNIT series.

Anybody else get the feeling BF is gonna start stripping their creative gears if they don't start getting access to more post-2005 material soon? C'mon BBC/Moffat, at least a Paternoster Gang series...

2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

No. Doctor Who doesn't need to mine its own mythology to tell good stories.

Okay, I might accept a Paternoster Gang spin-off that way. In which case, I'd want Nick Briggs' Sherlock Holmes and David Warner's Mycroft Holmes to make an appearance. :)

4. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously, I want more Ninth and Tenth Doctor on Big Finish. The Ninth meeting Jago & Lifefoot, maybe Ten encountering the Forge in its infancy, and so on.

Face it, there's relatively little new ground for Doctors 5 and 6 to cover. Sixth will get his ultimate due (I believe) with his regeneration story this September, and Five has long since been just filling space. Of Doctors 4 and 7... well, I would like to see the Ace issue finally, positively adressed, and 4 could get a new companion for that time between Leela and Romana. Why not?

5. Emperor-Tiberius

Oh, and of course we want a Paternoster Gang/Jago & Lifefoot crossover... don't we?

6. Allyn Gibson

To be honest, I'd be interested in audios with the eleventh Doctor. For one thing, Moffat built a ton of unchronicled time into the eleventh Doctor's life. For another thing, I'd really like to see how Matt Smith would handle non-Moffat-y, non-arc material.

7. Emperor-Tiberius

Ι didn't mention Eleven, because I genuinely think we will get more of him. :) But thats certainty doesn't extend to Nine, whom I really do want to see more of.

8. Nightowl1701

I definitely expect to see more NA adaptations for Seven (esp. Lungbarrow), and I believe they're planning both 4/Romana II/K-9 Mark II and 4/Adric stories. They could throw K-9 Mark III in the mix for the latter before 4 hands him off to Sarah. There's also Sharon, the DWM comic strip companion (roughly between Seasons 17-18) they could work in.

9. Nightowl1701

To be honest, I think we've got a better chance of 'seeing' the Time War on BF than we do of Nine. Even if John Hurt himself can't be available, I'm sure he'd sign off on a soundalike to perform in his stead. All we'll get of Nine (if the rights ever free up) will be Companion Chronicles by Rose or Jack.

10. Emperor-Tiberius

Honestly, I don't want to see or hear anymore of the Time War. Mainly because I think that story's done. Except for the occasional special or what not, I just don't wish to see that gap filled. I don't think DW needs to have every mystery explained, do you?

11. Nightowl1701

Well, I was right on the NA adaptations front - five more book-to-audioplays are on the way.

Nightshade - the Seven/Ace NA 'episode' immediately before Love and War, by Mark Gatiss. Very Hinchcliffe-spooky from the sound of it.
    Theatre of War/All-Consuming Fire - Seven, Bernice and Ace in her black vinyl 'Dalek Killer' phase. The former features the Doctor's older brother Irving Braxiatel, the latter Nick Briggs' Sherlock Holmes(!!!)
    Original Sin - Where Seven/Bernice meet Chris Cwej and Roz Forrester for the first time.
    The remaining release, 'to be detailed at a later time,' will be in a three-disc set. (Cat's Cradle?)

12. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Certainly next year's main 4th Doctor range is Romana II and K-9 II, haven't heard any indication of 4/Adric though.

They are intending to do more Philip Hinchcliffe Presents, when he presents them his ideas.

13. Allyn Gibson

I wonder if, for the latter, they will eliminate (or ignore) something Andy Lane did in the novel -- Sherlock Holmes and John Watson are psuedonyms for the "real" persons. And I wonder if they'll have David Warner reprise Mycroft from a Benny audio.

Cold Fusion? I'm trying to think of who could play Patience opposite Davison. Drawing a blank at the moment. :-/

Or maybe The Also People?

The book I would really like to hear adapted would be The Infinity Doctors. McGann playing a very different Doctor from the eighth, Davison as Omega, a cameo by McCoy as The Other, one of the Master audio actors as the Magistrate, Dan Starkey as the Sontaran general. Could be quite good. :)

14. Emperor-Tiberius

The Big Finish Sherlock Holmes link surprised me... perhaps negatively. But hey, that will boost that series' sales, right?

As for the rest... I like that. I want more - basically, the ones that serves the crossing-the-box stories, you know... fill-the-blanks and the like?

My vocabulary today is particularly rich, I know.. :p

You just want yet another Zagreus, don't you?

Seriously though, with Tom Baker having played the Curator... wouldn't he be the best choice for The Infinity Doctors? Just suggesting...

15. Allyn Gibson

No, McGann is the best (and really only) choice for the InfiDocs Doctor. Parkin based the Doctor in that story on the early promo picture of McGann with the shaved head. The Doctor in the book looks like McGann. There's even an argument to be made that he is, in fact, the eighth Doctor; he sees Grace, Benny (pregnant, after the events of The Dying Days) and Sam at one point.

And it wouldn't be anything like Zagreus. :)

16. Emperor-Tiberius

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

2017? Wow. I didn't realize that audio productions needed such lead time.

18. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They don't. Tom Baker has asked them to record as many stories with him as possible before, you know...

19. The Four Doctor

The Four Doctor Commander Red Shirt

Simpson Park, Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
    Indeed. Tom realises that he is nearing the end of his journey, as we all must do sometime.