Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Breaking news: Leonard Nimoy – ‘Mr Spock’ – dies aged 83
By: AntonyF on Feb 27

Hurley Passes
By: T'Bonz on Feb 26

USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old October 30 2014, 09:01 PM   #1036
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

WalkerBait wrote: View Post
Perez is decent but I'm surprised he was kept in the game after that hit-by-pitch. I'm not entirely clear on the rules but aren't their contingencies for stuff like this where they can substitute a runner for Perez without taking him out of the batting order considering he got clocked in the ass by a ball going 90 miles an hour?
The pinch runner replaces the original player in the lineup.
Old October 30 2014, 09:17 PM   #1037
Scout101
Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
See, this is where I differ. First, after watching the replays, it looked like the 3B coach put a hold sign up for both second and third, which was bizarre.
Likely because even after the CF missed it, there was ANOTHER miss when he went to pick it up at the wall, it rolled around for a second. So with a clean pickup, maybe he doesn't get to 3B? Or likely just didn't want to risk sending him from 2B to 3B, as he's ALREADY in scoring position, and tough way to end a world series, trying to stretch a double into a triple.

But even though the cutoff throw was in shallow left by the time Gordon got to third, I would have tried for it anyway -- Perez had been completely lost at the plate all night (his at-bat in the 7th was embarrassing), and gimpy anyway after getting hit in the ass. The odds of him having any sort of success were pretty minimal (as seen by him swinging at absolute garbage all night along), so if you send Gordon to his doom, at least it's an exciting play with the potential for a bad throw to home or Posey getting annihilated at the plate or whatever.
So you sub for the batter there with ANYONE else. If he wa sucking, plus hurt, get him out of there. If you don't have any solid hitters up there, get a bunter up and try a squeeze if you want something dumb but exciting. From shallow left he would have had to completely shit the bed to not throw him out by 50 feet. Catcher would have time to go get it and come back to the plate

3B coach that does that is fired on the spot, and ends up such a goat that he never gets another chance.

This works out better if your next batter doesn't swing the bat like an ax, and actually waits for something near the strikezone instead of over his head.

Perez is decent but I'm surprised he was kept in the game after that hit-by-pitch. I'm not entirely clear on the rules but aren't their contingencies for stuff like this where they can substitute a runner for Perez without taking him out of the batting order considering he got clocked in the ass by a ball going 90 miles an hour?
No. Once you leave the game, you're out. New batter takes over your spot in the field and lineup

There's a lot that happened with Gordon's run, between him looking to the outfield on where the ball was, and adjusting his speed for stopping at an earlier base so it's hard to say if he could have made it to Home safely. Short of a miracle, a bad throw or damn good timing, probably not.
You can only send him if he's running hard out of the box, and since he thought he was either out or had a single, he didn't. After that, too late to turn it on.

But better to go out trying rather than swinging at bum pitches no one has gotten any piece of for the last few innings with a hitter with a pretty lack-luster performance in the post-season.
Knowing Perez failed, maybe. But if you want to second guess, pinch hit, don't run into the out. How PISSED would people be if he'd have sent him and it wasn't even remotely close? Like i said, 3B coach would be a goat forever, Buckner-style.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old October 30 2014, 09:18 PM   #1038
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Timby wrote: View Post
The pinch runner replaces the original player in the lineup.
Right. But there's no condition that says, "Hey, this guy got beamed in the leg by a ball and needs a moment off his feet but may not need to be out of the game for good?" I know baseball rules tend to be very structured and pretty strict to a litigious degree. But is there no contingency for stuff like this?

On a different note:

Man, how about Awkward Chevy Guy, huh?! I feel like he was a Kevin James character or something. It's like they were like, "Oh, shit! We have to give the MVP the truck, ummm, You! Joe! Here's the keys, go out give them to that guy. Here's a 3x5 card with talking points on it."
Old October 30 2014, 09:22 PM   #1039
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Right. But there's no condition that says, "Hey, this guy got beamed in the leg by a ball and needs a moment off his feet but may not need to be out of the game for good?"
No. If you leave the game, you're out of the game.
Old October 31 2014, 12:23 AM   #1040
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Okay, let's throw some wood on the fire to keep us warm by the hot stove in our new thread.
Closed Thread