Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by brian577, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope Abrams reconsiders at some point after a few years. He can direct the 9th one after he does a couple more Trek movies.
    The internet would explode with awesomeness if it would happen.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't wait to see Abrams suddenly bash those nerdy Star Wars geeks, praising his Star Trek to be a movie for the general cool audience.

3. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

that's how I felt about ds9. Turned out I was wrong.

I don't understand what people are watching when they go on and on about the philosophy in star trek in relation to the movies. Are they watching the same movies I did? I saw TMP on opening night and left the theatre fighting back tears. It was cold and empty. I still don't see anything redeemable in that movie.

JJ's trek at least had the theme of people overcoming difficult circumstances to achieve what they were supposed to achieve in life.

Sure, Star Trek has some great philosophical messages. Sometimes....
    On tv....
    But Star Trek is at it's best on tv. There is really no reason to make it into a movie unless you are going to have a lot of big explosions and high budget special effects that can't be done in a tv budget and would be wasted on the small screen.

4. JarodRussell

They didn't travel the stars in DS9?

5. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've seen those kinds of comments fairly frequently and never understand them. Back in 1979, "Star Trek" was 78 episodes of reruns and a Saturday morning kid show. What was the "essence" that TMP was far away from or should have aspired to be? TMP was consistent with the tone and themes of several TOS episodes; in fact it was criticized as being a retread of a couple of them.

TMP ended up a mess but there are undeniable building blocks there that bespeak a movie crafted to be something thoughtful and substantial as well as entertaining. I'll take that over a movie as profit-maximizing product any day, imperfections and all.

6. wissaboo

well, it was about a space station while other trek series have been about star ships. Have you seen it?

7. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9 was a spin-off designed to compliment TNG. It would have been pointless if it had the same premise.

JJ-Trek is all we have and watching it is a joyless, depressing experience. It seems to hold imagination and intelligence in utter contempt. Not that Abrams cares, he's laughing while counting the massive profits he made. A real life Ferengi. He will never understand Star Trek and return to making dumb Mission: Impossible movies when he has whored out Trek for all his needs.

8. wissaboo

:lol: I think you guys are missing the point.

the origional quote said star trek was about people traveling the stars. Clearly that wasn't ds9's origional premise yet it is still star trek.

you can't take blanket statements that don't even apply to the rest of the franchise and then use it to say the nu movie is crap.

9. JarodRussell

I have seen it, but I have never seen what's the big deal about starship vs. space station is. We get an exterior shot of ship or station, then we cut to small rooms, corridors and turbo lifts. Both ship and station have a ready room for the Captain and a bridge where most of the expositionary dialogue happens. It's not a big difference.

10. wissaboo

neither do I. If you look back to my original post I was being sarcastic.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Too bad. Abrams would make a hell of an awesome Star Wars film.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

So are such a bitter, angry person!

I did not think JJ's first film was perfect. It had some big flaws. So don't think I am saying this to you because I am just a gushing fan of that movie. But its hard to take you seriously when you are such a drama queen.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

First time on TrekBBS? :p

14. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Depressing"??
    Very glad I'm not you. I enjoy life and I'm enjoying JJ's movies.

15. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

No, I been here since 2001! I seen a lot. But this is a "special". A new Star Trek is getting closer and all the crazies start to come out of the woodwork.

16. DalekJim

Not liking the same movie you like does not make me insane.

17. SalvorHardin

But apparently liking movies you hate makes others dumb, self-loathing and desperate, right?

18. DalekJim

I don't understand a word of what you just said.

19. SalvorHardin

Really? You don't like being called names for not liking movies but you don't seem to have trouble calling others names for the same reason.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

When the last movie came out, there was a "Bad Reboot" troll (who's actually a board regular) who whined day in and day out about it, and when he was running out of bullet points, even went as far as to say that real Star Trek movies don't make money and are only supposed to appeal to a niche audience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.