Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shaw, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a futuristic outhouse... because it's round.

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's just hope the soundproofing and ventilation doesn't break down, if only for Uhura's sake.

3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uuuuh... you do know what those vents under the bridge consoles are for, right? (Emergency air fresheners).

4. Captain Robert April

Then (Insert favority deity here) help the bridge crew if that backs up and somebody just had an Arcturian burrito.

5. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

Robert April,

Hahahahahaha!

6. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

So what are you saying here? That that would be the perfect spot in case of an emergency where the crew would need to vent the atmosphere into space? :wtf:

7. Captain Robert April

That is a good point.

However, I was thinking more along the lines of the crewman with the questionable taste in burritos coming back onto the bridge with the advice of "Do NOT go in there!" just ahead of the mind-numbing stench pouring out from the vents under the communications console.

8. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

:rolleyes: Oh, god. What can of worms did I open? :rolleyes:

9. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Can of worms? :wtf:

My mistake, I was under the impression we were discussing a different type of can.

10. Captain Robert April

11. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Smithsonian just added some new X-ray images, check em out :techman:

12. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Thanks for pointing that out... those are great images! :techman:

13. Captain Robert April

Almost enough there to put together some real construction blueprints.

14. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

I was looking over my photos of the 11-foot model taken during my trip to DC back in 2006, and I noticed right next to the 1837 secondary hull decal near the hangar bay is some kind of clear bulb thing I never realized was there before. It wasn't until I watched "Conscience of the King" when I realized that bulb was used by the Remastering team as the elusive Ion Pod. Was that the original intent of that bulb or was it just a light?

15. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

It was originally (before remastering) a blinking formation light that was in sequence with similar lights on the primary hull.

Honestly, the attempt to add more effects footage to Court Martial (and point out the ion pod) in the remastered version was a mistake. It was best left unknown rather than attempting to repurpose something that already had a function.

But in the end it served the purpose that the remastering team wanted... it let them do something extra and visually interesting. :wtf:

16. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's especially problematic when your realize the size of that detail... and the fact that it's not large enough to be a "pod" at all. More like a "coffin."

Which, I s'pose, was sort of the point in that episode, but still, from a practical standpoint, not really very logical. Not unless the TOS ship was presumed by the SFX guys to be "Abrams-sized."

17. Captain Robert April

It's easy enough to work around that, though, and just figure that the light blew during the trip through the ion storm.

After all, it's not like there's some Loony Toons sign popping up, saying, "HERE'S WHERE THE ION POD WAS, KIDS!"

So, my scheme of the ion pods being launched from the B/C deck at the end of the big umbilical is still just as viable.

18. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    ... or anywhere else for that matter. ;)

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Most often practiced by Tex Avery, which he did at both Warners and MGM. ;)

20. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Interesting point... I don't recall if I've actually seen the remastered episode at this point (I have the old DVDs and the version I bought for iTunes was the original), so other than the effects shots shown on YouTube and in screen captures, I'm not sure how the changing of the bulb was presented in the context of the story.

But you are correct in that nothing originally filmed would have said what was happening beyond "repairs".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.