Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #181
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Lack of female assassins in Assassin's Creed? 'Reality of producti

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
Why does historical accuracy only matter when a game puts women on the battlefield?
One of the many post-release fixes for Total War: Rome 2, Daughters of Mars, has involved the addition of female soldiers, and a very vocal minority of players are suddenly very concerned with ancient history.
The historical argument is always a red herring. It's a derail. It's not an honest attempt at good faith discussion, but a way to distract from the central issue.

Example: strategy RPG The Banner Saga, which is based on Viking/Norse mythology and history, allows female characters in a single role--archers. Why are women not allowed to be front-line combatants? According to the developers, because this was not permitted in that culture. Even so, this is a game that features monsters with horns growing through their skulls and various other fantastical elements. The game developers still feel they can trot out a "historical" argument for not allowing women in all combat positions. In essence, fantastical creatures that never existed are more believable than human woman in melee combat. It's sexism, pure and simple.

Reverend wrote: View Post
You know it utterly baffles me how gender representation has become such a divisive topic in gaming. I actually saw something the other day where someone was complaining that Bioware was being prejudiced against men because so far, most of their released gamplay footage from DAI has featured a female Inquisitor....the mind boggles.
Never underestimate the rampant insecurity of many men, which manifests most openly as misogyny and chauvinistic bravado.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:14 AM   #182
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^It's not exclusively a male trait, but it does seem a lot of males of said disposition have been cocooning themselves in the gamer communities. It just amazes me how vocal the buggers can be, but I suppose net anonymity has something to do with amplifying that.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Example: strategy RPG The Banner Saga, which is based on Viking/Norse mythology and history, allows female characters in a single role--archers. Why are women not allowed to be front-line combatants? According to the developers, because this was not permitted in that culture. Even so, this is a game that features monsters with horns growing through their skulls and various other fantastical elements. The game developers still feel they can trot out a "historical" argument for not allowing women in all combat positions. In essence, fantastical creatures that never existed are more believable than human woman in melee combat. It's sexism, pure and simple.
In that particular example, I'm not sure I agree. As you say it's based on both Norse history and *mythology*. Said mythology is full of fantastical creatures and yet the presence of such doesn't automatically mean all rules go out the window since they're patterning off of an existing template, with which they're at least partially grounding with some historical authenticity. It's part of what gives the game it's aesthetic identity and as such is a valid artistic choice.

It's the same logic that says that portraying people of African ethnicity in a subservient role isn't inherently racist *if* the game is set in say, 17th century West Indies. Context matters.

Last edited by Reverend; Today at 01:24 AM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:24 AM   #183
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Reverend wrote: View Post
^It's not exclusively a male trait, but it does seem a lot of males of said disposition have been cocooning themselves in the gamer communities. It just amazes me how vocal the buggers can be, but I suppose net anonymity has something to do with amplifying that.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
In that particular example, I'm not sure I agree. As you say it's based on both Norse history and *mythology*. Said mythology is full of fantastical creatures and yet the presence of such doesn't automatically mean all rules go out the window since they're patterning off of an existing template, with which they're at least partially grounding with some historical authenticity. It's part of what gives the game it's aesthetic identity and as such is a valid artistic choice.

It's the same logic that says that portraying people of African ethnicity in a subservient role isn't inherently racist *if* the game is set in say, 17th century West Indies. Context matters.
Are you playing Devil's Advocate here or making an actual serious response?
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #184
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Whatever the case, the concept of the skjadlsmaer (Shieldmaiden) comes from, that's right, Scandinavian mythology.

And I don't even want to go into citing historical accounts in ancient Scandinavian culture of women taking up the sword because I agree that the debate is usually not held in good faith.