Star Trek: Isolation

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Bixby, May 19, 2015.

1. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's a second vignette on Youtube with this Farragut spin-off:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAQnTaYEcKg&index=108&list=PL80FEA9A3E177FC8B[/yt]

for those who missed it, even though we've previously discussed it, here's the first one:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULHhXE-tXbw&list=PL80FEA9A3E177FC8B&index=65[/yt]

2. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Loved the casting on the second one :)

3. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I love the way the admiral says "Excelsior" :)

wtriker1701 likes this.
  4. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

This is cracking me up. Love it.

5. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

A couple thoughts:

Stan Lee is cracking as ever. Easily the best "actor" of the bunch.

The two female characters seem to have the same (or similar) tattoos on their wrists. Is this coincidental, or intentional?

Not sure why I'm supposed to care about this new captain, why he's being given a command, or why he's going to be the "hero" of the show given that all we see him do is walk down a corridor, sit down, stand up, shake hands, and sit down again.

Finally: I didn't realize it with the first vignette, but this time around I got a very strong "Marvel Cinematic Universe-everything-is-connected" kind of vibe, given the offhand mention of Commander Jericho from the previous installment and the tethering of this series to Starship Farragut. I didn't think I'd like that, but oddly enough, here, I do.

6. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"Stan Lee is cracking as ever. Easily the best "actor" of the bunch."

Which is one of the problems - it is certainly a cool move to get Lee to appear in a fan film, but he also certainly is NOT a good actor - and if the other fan actors are even less so, that is not a good starting point.

"Not sure why I'm supposed to care about this new captain, why he's being given a command, or why he's going to be the "hero" of the show given that all we see him do is walk down a corridor, sit down, stand up, shake hands, and sit down again."

My thoughts as well. There is really not much going on there.

Shooting on the "Space Command" "sets" (which I think is just the small corridor and that half room of a bridge) is a clever move, although it does not exactly look like Starfleet sets.

7. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

Not a bad start, nice seeing Stan Lee in a non super hero cameo. It will be interesting to see how it plays in future episodes.

8. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I want Stan Lee to appear as the creator-God of an alternate universe!

9. ThankYouGeneR

ThankYouGeneR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I only just found out about Isolation on another TBBS thread. Went straight to their Channel.
    Loved the one I watched! Was impressed too. Among the other things I liked was the camera work; that slow continuous movement in some of the shots realllly works for me.:bolian:

Philip Guyott likes this.
  10. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They are going to produce one more Trek Isolation vignette which has already been filmed and are going to be involved some way in Starship Farragut’s final episode, ‘The Homecoming’. After that they are going to completely ‘reboot’ the series as ‘Dark Isolation’ with a brand new two part pilot episode with a whole new ship design and concept.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  11. ThankYouGeneR

I'm still not clear on the who's & what's when it comes to our fan productions. I'll give a little background on why and then ask a few questions about Dark Isolation - which before the retooling was 'some other' Isolation? - which may or may not also be actually 'be' or be related somehow to Farragut? - that for some probably mistaken reason I had the impression you were involved with?

Yeah, I need straightening out on a few things about D. Isolation, don't I.

A little background on how I can be so lacking in knowledge about fan films:
    In the Time Before the litigation lots of the fan film information, names, etc. sort of muddled together for me. With one of the few exceptions being Intrepid, which hooked me with the delightful Scottish accented English... and right away found me an admirer of their stories... so I've watched (re-watched) them all. And this production is clear to me, even more so since the Chronicles Of The Litigation began.

It seems I've always known about ST:NV. And have watched lots of them. The Phase II references were mostly muddled to me but is also unimportant to me. I knew where the shows were... I watched them. But since The Chronicles Of The.. began I get that illusion of personally knowing most of them :lol: from all the slurs by, well... Which I would immediately scurry to find out the accuracy of and stories behind wth was going on there. I'm up to speed with them.

With ST: Continues, I'd become one of those donating avid fans of their productions. Knew where there shows were, knew where to donate in the Time Before but they're another group that there's so much info IN the news I'm following and the wth research I've done to find the accuracy of the slurs and 'stories' being tossed around I have the illusion I personally know lots of them too :lol: I'm up to speed with them.

The litigation introduced me to T. Kraft and Horizon (which I've watched probably five times now) and I'm up to speed on him and his filming.

I know T. Russ creates Renegades. So I'm clear on that one.

I luuuuuuuvvvvvv Red Shirt Diaries & actively promote it to mostly anyone who will listen to me. And since they are not a loud player in the litigation I don't 'want' to know any more about them than RSD. I want to keep them in my mind as the delightful woman in a red dress talking to the personal log camera who is interrupted regularly by craziness coming in an out of her quarters. I don't want to know anything else about the real people behind the production or watch anything else they do which I feel assured is as well made and interesting as RSD.

Potemkin has only come to my attention since The Chronicles Of The Litigation got to the New Guidelines chapter. But I've found their Channel. And they are approachable here in TBBS so that access is available for me get better understanding about the who, what, why, how, etc. of the production.

So now comes Dark Isolation, which I'd never ever even heard of, and the asking of questions. :lol:
    -Is or was D. Isolation connected to Farragut someway?
    -I thought but now think not that you are connected to it (or Farragut or whatever). You're not, right?
    -Is Bixby, with the Avatar changing into the Hulk that creeps me out, connected to it?
    -What IS Farragut? What IS Isolation?
    -Outside of FB which I don't have, where can I find them here or on some part of the web?
    -I've found episodes of what I 'think' is Farragut on YouTube but I can't tell if they are being put there by people from the production itself. So, can you or anyone guide me on this?
    -I'd like to get to know their productions and watch them from their beginning productions... but exactly where 'is' that? :lol:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  12. Philip Guyott

Trek Isolation and Dark Isolation are produced by Farragut films. Trek Isolation was intended to be a spin off series to Starship Farragut.
    No, I am not involved with any fan productions. I am just a fan.
    Bixby is a long serving member of Trek BBS. I do not know if he is directly involved with fan productions or if he is just a fan. He is the best person to answer that question.
    Starship Farragut is a fan series based on Star Trek TOS and follows the adventures of Federation Starship Farragut, its crew and Captain John Thomas Carter. Set in the same era as the original ST series. It has one final episode in post production.
    Trek Isolation was intended to be a spin off fan film series set onboard another Starship called the USS Babylon. The three vignettes (the third is in post production) were intended to introduce the three main characters before launching the new series.
    Dark Isolation is an independent sci-fi horror series produced by Farragut film studios. It will feature the same cast and crew as Trek Isolation, but the story will have no Star Trek elements.
    Click Here to go to the 'Star Trek Reviewed' website which has all the links where you can watch all the Starship Farragut’s/Trek Isolation live action and animated episodes. Also visit starshipfarragut.com and farragutnetwork.com.
    Any YouTube links advertised by 'Star Trek Reviewed' are official Farragut film episodes.
    Here are all their episodes to date in production order:

Starship Farragut - Episode 1: The Captaincy (February 2007)

Starship Farragut - Episode 2: For Want of a Nail (October 2007)

Starship Farragut - Vignette 1: Just Passing Through (November 2008)

Starship Farragut - Vignette 2: A Rock and a Hard Place (November 2008)

Starship Farragut Animated Series - Episode 1: Power Source (July 2009)

Starship Farragut Animated Series - Episode 2: The Needs of the Many (May 2010)

Starship Farragut - Episode 3: The Price Of Anything (December 2012)

Starship Farragut - Vignette 3: Night Shift (February 2013)

Starship Farragut - Episode 4: Conspiracy Of Innocence (August 2014)

Trek Isolation - Vignette 1: Change In Command (December 2014)

Trek Isolation - Vignette 2: A Great Responsibility (May 2015)

Starship Farragut - Episode 5: The Crossing (February 2016)

Trek Isolation - Vignette 3: Out of the Fire (September 2016)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    ThankYouGeneR likes this.
  13. ThankYouGeneR

Wonderful!!! This is just the kind of information I have been looking for!!

:beer:

Philip Guyott likes this.
  14. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I love Starship Farragut, Gene, you should definitely check them out.

ThankYouGeneR and Potemkin_Prod like this.
  15. ThankYouGeneR

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!
    CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

I just finished watching The Captaincy.

I'm just like.. what? This was their 'first' production?

Now I have More questions! :lol: And other things to mention.

-Those are complete sets. Those are really good complete sets. This is a first production. Those can't be their sets, can they?
    -Also - that is a noticeably large acting company. And a noticeably large fully costumed acting company. And the large number of costumes are noticeably authentic looking. Like, what? :lol:

So first I was wondering where all the fully and well costumed people were coming from, you know. Are they filming where there is a large number of Star Trek Clubs or something? Or one realllly big long established Star Trek Club?

Now I do recognize there will be a smaller Farragut core Acting Company.... but where did all those extras come from?!! :lol:

Then I was thinking, I wonder if that is footage of hall scenes is borrowed from another production?

And where was this filmed? The state I mean?

Then at the end when the NV Kirk/Spock/Bones makes a cameo... I wondered if The Captaincy was shot on the New Voyages Phase II sets. Was it?

If it was that would make the exterior shot up in New York? Course 'they' could have been done elsewhere.

Anyway, it was so good. CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

I did have a moment's heart tug at the end. There was a young crewman sitting at a console who turned to his left smiling... who for a moment looked so like our Anton Yelchin.

[​IMG]

16. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

If I recall correctly -- and I may not -- Farragut originally filmed out of Georgia, on its own extremely good sets. Continues started borrowing the set much later, and, recently, bought out the entire set, lock stock and barrel, while Farragut moved recording to another location. (Possibly Starbase Studios?)

So when you look at Continues' amazing sets, a lot of that's down to Farragut's excellent work with an infinitely smaller budget many years before Continues was a gleam in anyone's eye.

17. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

I liked it, I am curious if it will be a common path do the set up as a trek fan film then, change the names and other details to something else, or is just due to the epoch we are in at this moment

18. PiperKev

PiperKev Ensign Red Shirt

Farragut did indeed sell their share of the studio to STC, but we filmed the final TOS episode, "Homecoming" on those sets (I only say "we" because I'm a background character in that episode and I've known the producers, cast and crew for a good many years. I'm not part of the management, so I don't speak for them).

The movie-era continuation, "Farragut Forward", was going to be filmed in the DC area, but all that's in flux at the moment, of course... :-(

19. Philip Guyott

Here is the final vignette of Trek Isolation. Everything they produce from now on will be called Dark Isolation.

20. Treadwell

Treadwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The starship scenes in "The Captaincy" and "For Want of a Nail" were shot on the NV sets.

By the third episode, "The Price of Anything", Farragut had established studio space in Georgia and built the transporter room, bridge, turbolift, a small bit of corridor, shuttlecraft, and Romulan bridge. The STC vignettes were also shot there if I remember right.

Then that space was lost, and everything was moved to a new, larger space in partnership with the burgeoning STC. This was "Farragut Studios 2", which later became STC's "Stage 9". That was where the rest of the Desilu studio floorplan was laid out, in time for the first STC episode, and Farragut's Night Shift vignette. The first full Farragut episode to be shot on the expanded sets was "Conspiracy of Innocence," immediately after STC's "Lolani".