Sharing Netflix Password

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mr Light, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm borrowing my mom's Netflix password and I was wondering this is against the rules or something? I live in PA and she lives in Florida... Do they monitor usage? Do they care? Can two people be logged in and viewing at the same time?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My daughter uses ours at her boyfriends house all the time and he lives on the other side of town. Never had an issue.

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

It is against the rules, yes. That said, the CEO has said he really doesn't care if it's shared between extended family. So I doubt highly that they'd care enough to do something about it.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Well I noticed on my account that you have permission to use on 2 devices at the same time, you can pay a little extra for 4 devices at the same time. So I suppose if they're getting paid for it they don't really mind.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

They know, they don't care - in the same way, they know that I'm not in the US at 12.01 and then in the UK at 1305 and then Sweden at 1400.

Speaking of netflix - when are we going to see the multiple user profiles on one account that we were promised? My recommendations are nothing of the sort because my wife watches so much horror (which I have no interest in).

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yeah, I can't wait for multiple profiles. I watch a lot of foreign language films, the rest of the family does not.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

In TN it's against the law to share passwords with anyone other than your spouse.

8. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about bodily fluids? :devil:

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

My sister-in-law has been using my wife's account for 3 years now.

As of now, the cyber-police have not back tracked anything.

10. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

The law was pushed through with the help of recording industry lobbyists trying to stop the bleeding that is illegal music sharing, and apparently illegal movie streaming as well.
    If you're caught sharing or selling passwords to subscription services in Tennessee, you could face big fines, a misdemeanor, and even jail time. If it's severe enough (if you're a password-dealer), you could be charged with a felony.
    The only related clause we could find in the Netflix terms of service states:
    BY SHARING THE NETFLIX SERVICE PASSWORD, THE ACCOUNT OWNER AGREES TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSURING THAT HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS COMPLY WITH THE TERMS OF USE AND SUCH ACCOUNT OWNER SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OF THE HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS.
    So if anybody violates the terms of service while using your account, it's your fault, but there's nothing about how many people you can share your account with.
    So far, Netflix hasn't dealt with the problem of password-sharing.
    The only limit Netflix has in place is that you can only stream content simultaneously on four devices at the same time, which is still a lot. So theoretically, passwords could only be sold three times.
    [LEFT]
    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-login-sharing-tennessee-2011-6#ixzz2VGqmVb00

Could not believe this when read your post, but apparently it is true. I don't even have Netflix or Hulu and glad I don't live in Tennessee, though a beautiful state it may be. A conservative state, whose action seems to point to that the legislature are bothered more by password sharing than Netflix itself. Perhaps this is the Republican definition of small government in action.
    :vulcan:
    Can you imagine doing jail time for this
    :cardie:
    [/LEFT]

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

My brother and sister use my Netflix though recently we began taking turns each month to pay for it.

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been using my mom's for years. They don't care.

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

As the saying goes, they want the government just small enough to fit into your bedroom.

But that's another topic.

I used to use my mom's Netflix when the DVD and streaming was one. She never used it so I did. I don't bother with Netflix, I don't watch too much TV in the nice months, and in the winter I buy a ton of cheap DVDs.