Haven Season 4 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 1001001, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm still watching religiously--although it does oddly feel as though we're heading into the endgame, even though next week is just being billed as a "season finale." As opposed to a series finale.

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still watching, but really disliking whatever they've done. I like Duke's gf, that was fine. But the whole William thing....no matter how much I like the actor, and it's obvious he's trying to make something of the role, if the role and plot are so badly written, how much can he save it?

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Imagine that your husband, got on all fours in the local park and started playing with your dog.

The first three minutes it was fine, after 10 you're telling him to get the #### up, but he won't, after half hour, you just leave, #### his head trip... But you come back the next day and he's still running about like a dog, and he's misplaced his clothes and...

Fleas were yesterdays problem, he's starting to make a canine family and totally forgotten about you, that you love who he used to be 24 hours ago has very little to do with it any more, he has to be saved period, no matter how many dogs are going to doggy heaven.

William makes perfect sense if human beings are barely even animals.

4. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I agree, but we don't even know what's really going on. They've stretched this thing out so long...what is the deal? I asked earlier, what are they? Aliens? Pranksters from another dimension? Mischievous Gods? The lack of curiosity on the part of the other characters seems really strange to me.

I am still enjoying the series, don't get me wrong. I'm really hoping this all has a payoff.

5. Guy Gardener

Do Native American Gods look like Native Americans?

They said early on that the troubles predate Whitey.

Those inkballs, despite being inkballs, remind me of the glowing marbles from Starman.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'm still watching religiously, too, but I'm really engaged by the whole thing. I was kind of upset when Sheriff Carter turned out to be a bad guy, but I'm amazed at how well he plays that role-- talk about a character you love to hate.

The mysteries they've set up are very intriguing, and they keep giving us more information without answering anything. That's fine as long as they don't pull a Lost on us. It seems that William and Audrey are mad scientists or sorcerers from another dimension who decided to torment Haven for their own amusement-- due to the time differential, this has been going on for centuries. Agent Howard seems to represent another faction, maybe that world's law enforcement. Who knows? But I can't wait to find out.

As far as the other characters' seeming lack of curiosity, that's a fair point. But, on the other hand, these people are already steeped in weirdness, and their main priority is dealing with an escalating crisis.

The ratings, as far as I know, are stable compared to last year. Given that and Sciffy's history, I'm fairly confident that we'll get one more year. They may be setting up this year's finale to work as a series finale just in case, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

All fair points.

I think I'm worried about them going Lost on us. The more convoluted the mythology gets, the harder it is to weave it all back together into a coherent narrative.

If Agent Howard was a cop (or some such authority) from their world/dimension/whatever, then why was he Jennifer's adoption agent? And then now they just casually throw in the fact that Dave was adopted too? Hmm...

I do like how creepy and evil Sheriff Carter is. Excellent considering how effortlessly good he was in Eureka. But I think it's going on too long. JMHO.

Hopefully we'll get a solid finale before the long wait until next season.

8. propita

I said I was watching, I didn’t say I was enjoying.

Duke and his gf are more interesting to me than any of the others. That’s kinda not good for the show. I mean, Duke IS a primary character, but...he shouldn’t be the main reason to watch. I’m not watching for his looks, but because right now, he’s the most interesting--and that’s not the main plot line.

How sad that the writers lost their way. You’d think that show creators would have a general outline of the primary plot, the primary characters, what must happen, what must not happen (what must not happen to a character or what they must not say/do because it’ll screw the primary plot).

9. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I really expected Audrey to put her hand on William at the end. Give HIM a trouble. I wonder if that is possible. Of course, she would be giving one to herself too...

10. Guy Gardener

They are immune and clearly not human.

11. RJDiogenes

They are definitely Human, since Audrey had a child with Nathan, but they are also immune-- they have to touch the Trouble Balls to use them.

12. Guy Gardener

Flesh suits.

Do I really have to say that they are clearly extra dimensional beings?

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The writing on Haven has always been mediocre to poor. It's the chemistry of the three leads that keeps the show afloat. How they react to the troubles is interesting, but the troubles themselves are putrid.

14. Guy Gardener

They should have dropped the troubles in the third episode, and continued on as a massively successful romantic melodrama.

15. RJDiogenes

Flesh suits don't have chromosomes. Humans have simply been migrating back and forth between the dimensions, and there are civilizations on both sides. Hopefully. Otherwise it would be pretty stupid.

16. Guy Gardener

Why do you think flesh suits don't have chromosomes?

Hers does, otherwise making babies would be quite difficult.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I long ago decided that HAVEN operates on dream-logic. Expecting it to make sense of it is just asking for for Trouble . . . .

18. propita

I see what you did there.

19. RJDiogenes

I guess my Trouble is that I expect Haven to at least make more sense than V: The Series. :rommie:

20. Guy Gardener

So William isn't there for our water?