New Frontier no more?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by dstyer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I see no problem. One character arc may be a little puzzling, but perhaps it's supposed to be.

But that's not why he brought them to the 24th century. He had solid story arcs planned for the DC Star Trek comics, but they were put on hiatus while Pocket and DC's licenses were renegotiated. TAS had been made off-limits. The Arex move-to-security arc was given to Ensign Fouton (in DC Comics Series II) and had to end abruptly. The planned arc for M'Ress had fizzled when her replacement, M'yra, was ordered out of the comic by the new restrictions.

It was John Ordover's idea to add the characters to NF. While you might have decided that that moment in NF was the end for you, many TAS fans rejoiced.

2. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

I'm guessing if that's why he did it he wouldn't have had them being in the centre of a key storyline over the following few books...

Stone & Anvil was the last top notch NF book for me. The timeskip books weren't of the same calibre, but they're still fun stuff.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know for sure since I'm way behind in my NF, but from comments I've read here "Blind Man's Bluff" actually conflicts with "Full Circle" in some way involving Seven and the Doctor at the time it was set. So you needn't worry about having the other books spoiled!

4. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

I've only read one New Frontier novel. But I really want to see how Mac took out the Borg as mentioned in Gods Of Night.

5. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Indeed, I'd also like to see New Frontier brought up to speed with the post-Destiny-timeline. Maybe even getting a its own Typhon Pact novel somewhen.

6. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

He just bad-assed them to death.

7. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

I don't know if you're joking or not but this is kind of what I meant by asking not to be spoiled.

8. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Not a spoiler. It's a tiny mention and doesn't spoil Destiny for you :)

9. F. King Daniel

Nor do the events of Destiny come up in NF. It's kind of a one-way thing. The novelverse references events from NF (and has a few cameos and mentions, like Shelby in "Q & A", the Excalubur in "Before Dishonor" and the vaguely-alluded-to heroism in Destiny) but NF never references events from the novelverse.

10. chrinFinity

So it's kind of like the Shatner stories in reverse.

11. chrinFinity

Yeah, FYI, Blind Man's Bluff spoils
    details of the Borg invasion
    , which seems to have culminated in
    the end of the borg,
    as well as, apparently,
    the death of Kathryn Janeway.
    So thanks for that.

12. F. King Daniel

Oh crap. I'm sorry! I did say I was going from comments I'd read posted here. I'll be keeping my fat mouth shut from now on.

So sorry:( :(

13. chrinFinity

It's okay, I'm sure you didn't do it on purpose. At least I'm free to read the first DTI book now.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

There must be many, many sections of online sources that you've been avoiding - for several years - if all that is brand new to you.

15. chrinFinity

Indeed, painstakingly avoiding. I've recently been working to catch up chronologically but I screwed up and read the new frontier books without waiting.

16. craig keith

craig keith Lieutenant Red Shirt

To be honest you may have been better off ignoring new frontier for the time being and starting with the tng relaunch including "a time to" novels and articles of the federation by KRAD and then carrying on up until the end of destiny... there you can take a break ( trust me you will need it after destiny) and go back the nf for a little while

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, NF really has no effect on the other series, so you can read it at pretty much any time.

18. craig keith

Aye, and sometimes a little distraction from the ongoing storyline is nice. There was never anything wrong with the nf novels - i just think they should be seperated ish from the rest of the current novels just beacuse they are a little more relaxed and different .. and different i do like :)

19. craig keith

Also chap, you were really in the wrong place if u didnt want to know all of that stuff... These are the main trek lit forums. Destiny has been out a good few years so you have done well to avoid what has happened so far but you must of known it would have been discussed here at some level with spoilers. Just saying :)

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't mean to be snotty, but it's been four years since Destiny came out, at this point have a feeling that at this point a lot of people probably don't really think about spoilers for it.