Favorite Superman Superfeats?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sbk1234, Nov 25, 2012.

1. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since the 1970s, there's been 5 Superman movies. Some have been better than others. Some not worth rememering. But they've all featured our boy, Kal-El doing some pretty nifty stuff: rescues, catching bad guys and stuff like that. (In my opinion) even if the mvie itself wasn't all that great, they've all had some pretty awesome scenes of super ability shown.

So, what is your favorite action scene showing Kryptonian powers from a Superman movie, and why?

Me, there's a lot that I love, but I actually find myself rewatching the airplane rescue from Superman Returns alot. Besides the effects being incredible,it was the first time we'd seen the Man of Steel in action on the silver screen sice Christopher Reeves wore the suit too many years ago. Just like in the movie, it was a thrill for me to watch Supe show his stuff, and I found myself cheering right along with those folks watching in the movie.

How about yours?

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Clark running into a tornado in the Smallville S1 finale. Maybe the only moment I can think of offhand in which he really charges into danger unsure of whether or not he can take it. But catching a falling 747? About as daunting as a medium-level workout.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

My favorite Smallville feat is when he cleans the house at superspeed after a party, before mom and dad get home.

In the movies, I really like the Action Comics #1 moment when he has the car over his head.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Causing the Earth to spin backwards, stop, then forwards again, without immediately destroying the planet and everyone on it (as surely would 'really' happen). That's got to be some super-feat right there.

5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It may not have been the "biggest" super moment, as far as what he's accomplished, but for me, as a dramatic action moment, I think it succeeded.

6. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've often read that he's not physically altering the rotation of earth, that's just the visual representation of him traveling so fast that he's traveling through time.

I've always the junkyard fight in 3. It's VERY comic book, and it's always neat to see representations of internal struggles externalized like that. Like how in Hulk comics, Banner and Hulk are physically at odds in Banner's non-physical mind.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Then he over shot it, had to go forward a little bit to correct things and then settle on where (and when) he wanted to be. It's odd though because in that scene it sort of nulls Luthor's claim that Superman "even with his great speed" couldn't catch both of the missiles so either one was going to destroy the West Coast or one was going to destroy New Jersey. (Gee... Tough choice. ;))

But then in the end he circumnavigates the globe pretty much at the speed of light so he COULD fly fast enough to catch both missiles.

8. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the "bullet stop" scene in Superman Returns. To my memory, it's the most bullets we've seen live-action Superman shrug off. And to culminate with him being shot in the eye was great (seeing as how, again, to my memory, we've never seen that trick before).

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLN3dPMyXeg[/yt]

9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I'd have to go with the plane rescue from SR, as well. It's not much compared to what he does in the comics, but it's a classic in animation (Fleischer's "The Japateurs", as well as the pilot of the 90s cartoon) and the comics (John Byrne's "Man of Steel"), and to see that adapted to live action this amazing was just powerful.

Also from SR, I like how he lifted the sinking yacht. It was beautifully shot from above with him and the ship emerging from the water.

10. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think one of the powers that Superman has that is regularly overlooked is his Super-Determination. No matter the opponent or situation he is most always able to prevail by putting just that much more into his effort. I know he does it all the time but it's never explicitly stated as Super-Determination. It's like KERS on the F1 cars (which I'm watching right now!) where he holds back most of the time (referenced in the JLU final episode, where he's fighting Darkseid) and uses that reserve when he really needs it.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not just his ability to fly, but his ability to *hover*. I always wondered how he managed that. Krypton has higher gravity than Earth, we all know that. So Superman's ability to fly, as such, is understandable. But he shouldn't just be able to hover off the ground like that - he's not weightless, just lighter and stronger. Did they ever explain this?

(IIRC, the Earth-2 Superman originally could not fly, just literally leap tall buildings in a single bound, so to speak. He couldn't hover or fly, but eventually learned how to do both of those things.)

12. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. He isn't spinning the earth backwards. As he travels backwards in time it appears to him as if things are moving that way.

As for my favorite feat, it wasn't his flashiest (given the special effects of the time), but the "you've got me, who's got you" and then grabbing the helicopter sequence is still my all time favorite.

13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, he's Superman and he can totally do whatever he wants. I'm sure there's some technobabble available for those people who are interested in that kind of thing. Oh yes there is.

14. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Not from the movies, but in Smallville episode "Hidden", Clark superleaps onto a missile to remove the thermonuclear core. This is pretty cool, when you realise that he's propelled into orbit whilst attached to the missile, is then exposed to an atmospheric re-entry, and then freefalls back to Earth!

Where the movies are concerned, in Superman, I think it's pretty awesome when Superman dives underground and repairs the San Andreas fault.

15. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

There's even a whole book of (pseudo-)scientific explanations of Superman's powers.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Science-S...353873805&sr=8-1&keywords=science+of+superman

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

So no votes for "re-build a wall by looking at it real hard-vision"?

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I think that and most of the other random new powers in Superman IV were due to its low budget. The comic book adaptation has him rebuilding the Great Wall at super speed.

Its almost impossible for me to give a single answer on this one. Young Clark racing the train. I too love that fight between Clark and the Evil Superman.

18. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

This is by far my favorite "super" moment in all the TV shows and movies. He didn't even blink.

My biggest fear with the new "Man of Steel", is that they are going to tamp down Superman's powers in a effort to make him easier to relate to as a "human".

19. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Masonry Vision (as per the movie) or Super Architecture (as per the comic)... :vulcan:

There is really nothing that can redeem that scene!

20. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On his way to Luthor's lair for the first time in the first movie, underground just before the first and ice, I think even more bullets were fired at him.