Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 11, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

58.6%
  2. Above Average

32.9%
  3. Average

5.7%
  4. Below Average

1.4%
  5. Poor

1.4%
  1. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was a map by some journalist posted in the spoiler thread. I know you don't like to be spoiled, Mr Light so I'll go find it. I poked like seven holes in it on first glance.

EDIT: Here it is.

Points for whoever points out what is bullshit about this.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Another Rousseau explanation we need to see: she was around for the final four years of the Dharma Initiative. She was there for the Purge when the entire Island was gassed with poison gas. How did she survive? Did the gas only get dispersed at Dharma locations, so she was safe out in the jungle? Because the implication we've gotten is that the gas reaches EVERYWHERE on the Island, hence the threat of Faraday having to disable it in "Other Woman".

3. DeafPoet

Sort of. The Purge happened in '92 by the current reckoning. So Rousseau was around. She should have been killed. But she wasn't.

Have you heard the commentary for "The Man Behind the Curtain?" They went back and shot the gas grenade being pulled on second unit because they wanted it clear that the gas was not island wide.

I don't get it either. But that's what Damon and Carlton have to say.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh I just remembered something else. Christian seemed to indicate the reason why the time flashes are screwing with everyone is because Ben pulled the wheel and not Locke. I didn't see that coming. I guess it has to be the actual true spiritual leader of the Others to pull the trigger, and not the disgraced former leader? If this is true, then I really doubt Widmore was the true spiritual leader who Donkey Wheeled the Island back in the 50s/1992 and got exiled for it.

Ah! Theory! In 1992 the Others kill of Dharma in the Purge. The decision was Widmore's, who at that time was the leader alongside Alpert. Ben, who can see Jacob, conned them all. He said that Jacob said to move the Island and Widmore had to do it. This exiled Widmore from the Island and made Ben the new leader. This is why Widmore wants revenge on Ben for taking "his" Island.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

My understanding of the "Curtain" reshoot was that originally the gas just hit Island-wide and Roger died in the van from no apparent stimulus. So they changed it to a) make the reason for Roger's death more understandable, and b) give Ben a more direct role in killing his father. So the reshoot doesn't change the fact that the gas is Island-wide, it's just that Ben tossed a gernade there anyway to directly kill his daddy for revenge (or the Others made him do it as a test of loyalty).

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm just seeing the Island map now... let's see... the Looking Glass should be close to the Swan, not high up on the eastern shore. I always thought the Hydra was off the northern shore, but apparently the Via Dominus game version shows it on the south for some reason.

The Pearl, smugglers plane, and radio tower should all be in the Dark Territory on the eastern side of the Island, close to the Swan.

I always thought the Flame should be south of the Barracks since they came across it first in S3, but apparently the on-screen cabling map does show it in that location.

EDIT: Also the tail section should have crashed on the northern most tip of the Island.

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Excellent episode. I was very happy to see Cerebrus again and I hope we see him/her/it again soon because that thing just kicks so much ass.

Re Christian: I don't think that Christian is Jacob as when Locke saw him in the cabin Christian told him that Jacob was elsewhere. Also, when Hurley saw the cabin he saw Christian sitting inside and then another eye appeared at the window.

8. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

The black smoke column was just Rousseau's camp fire in this episode IMO, not the Others column of smoke.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That makes sense.

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

A lot of us thought it looked like Desmond.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I don't know. I assume it was the same eye we saw of the man sitting in the chair in "The Man Behind the Curtain."

12. DeafPoet

The biggest problem is The Looking Glass. It's like half way around the island in that map.

Yet Sayid came upon the cable in less than a day. Des and Charlie got there quickly too. And Hurley was there! It was way closer to the beach.

Also, The Pearl should be just north of The Swan.

The Orchid, The Flame are pretty much right if the beach camp can be assumed correct though.

13. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

wow, my wife and I had a different reaction, we found this ep kind of boring. First of all the O 6 stuff is lame because we all know they are going to go back, we are just waiting and watching them go through the motions. The eloise hawking reveal was not a big deal, we all figured that out a couple weeks ago.
    And on the island, while it is neat to see that stuff with danielle, well, we already knew it all...it's like we heard about it, then we see it..ok, thanks, I guess.

The only interesting stuff for me was the locke scene with christian.

14. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

also - still don't give a shit about charlotte. Glad she's gone.

15. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone else notice the hieroglyphics on the temple? They looked like the same sort in the hatch when the counter ran down.

I was watching it in HD, but my PVR can't record the HD channels. So I started freaking out about how I couldn't pause it to get a better look :lol:

16. DeafPoet

Then you're a jerk ;) We just started learning stuff about her!

I realize Charlotte's not a fan-favourite but I'm fascinated by her. Then again, my favourite character is Juliet so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

When Locke goes back to the real world, will he be wheelchair-bound again?

18. DeafPoet

I think so! But not for the reason he was previously wheelchair-bound before.

Now his leg is toast. And I think that'll be why.

19. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

The Emperor has no clothes.

Terrible episode. An hour of nonsense.

Charlotte was so bad (dialogue) that I started laughing during her death scene.

20. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I am glad they are over with the flash backs..they were slowing the story down for the past two years...this year is the best season since season one..IMO..

Rob