Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by captcalhoun, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Well, they had pigs and bread, so...

People calling Uther "Your majesty" get on my wick as well- Henry VIII invented that!

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Camelot is a mythical place, like Atlantis, it might have more basis in fact but not by much. This is a land full of magic and enchanted creatures and people are getting hung up because there's a potato there? Jesus wept...

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I know, why get hung up about stuff like that in a fantasy show, which is what this is, it's not trying to be true to the legend, it's not trying to be accurate to possible history, it's fantasy family entertainment. Switch off your brain and enjoy.

4. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about this for a BBC4 companion show? A panel game, rules along the lines of Just a Minute, with four distinguished TV historians watching Merlin, buzzing every time they spot a historical inaccuracy. Extra points if any of them gets so het up they have a heart attack.

5. Lonemagpie

Like I said, it could be worse- it could be Robin Hood, which is just as bad while set in a specific year!

6. Bob The Skutter

Well David Starkey was bitching about The Tudors lately, I guess it's surprising there hasn't been more complaints about Robin Hood and Merlin.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I guess MErlin does have the get out that its set in a mythical place, the Tudors should be more accurate.

Amazed there weren't more people slagging off the Dr Who Pompeii ep!

8. Lonemagpie

Obviously anachronisms *there* were caused by a) the aliens, and b) Captain Jack...

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ha ha, good points!

10. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

love it

11. Bob The Skutter

Maybe he should pitch it to the beeb? They could also do it for Robin Hood and Bonekickers.

12. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

um not sure about Bonekickers as that would involve making a 2nd series

13. Bob The Skutter

Well I thought tonight's was the best so far, I guessed he would be Mordred when they didn't give us his name until the end of the episode. Hopefully they have an arc at least partially planned there.

14. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

yes I find it hard to believe that they would just leave it at that. If Morderd is

the son of Arthur & Morgana
    why is he alive, I know its been mentioned that something happened between them in the past, but I Morgana didnt seem to know who he was.

15. Bob The Skutter

^Where did that idea come from?

16. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

um, wikipedia :lol: Well that and a friend of mine who is an expert on the Merlin myth tells me about a kid who is the son of the two people in the spoilers.

did anyone else see the clip during the lottery, it features a horse coming though what looked like a mirror, in a sequence near indentical to the one in the Doctor Who episode "The Girl in the Fireplace"

17. Bob The Skutter

As far as I'm aware Mordred was the son of Merlin and his half sister, Morgana isn't his mother in the legend. But nothing is in line with the legend anyway, so I wouldn't assume anything would unfold in the show like the legends portray it.

18. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I will have to ask my friend for clarification on this issue. Wont get a reply for a few hours however.

19. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

I agree that tonight's was the best yet. The writing is consistently solid (if a bit silly sometimes) and the acting is good from all. I thought Anthony Head was quite menacing when he choked Morgana (and I'm glad she's getting more screentime, for shallow reasons.)

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the writer's were quoted in the RT when it started saying they've got a 5-year plan so i wouldn't be surprised if both Lancelot and Mordred didn't reappear.