Speculation: Must the villain be Gary Mitchell, or... ?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by los2188, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No, not at all, but the phenomenon would be an easy explanation for some of the speculations.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I say Cumberbatch is an Augment, hence the Khan rumors. But he's a Starfleet-bred Augment, a Starfleet that's rapidly losing it's way, slipping (wait for it!) ...Into Darkness. *cue apocalyptic music*

3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Given the hints to Section 31 in the comics, that might just be what happens!

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What? God wasn't good enough for you as a villain? ;)

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

6. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So a remake of "The Deadly Years", as a means of inserting Shatner into the film?

7. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At the top of the cover, on the left, enlarging the image, I saw a shadow of a ship (I think so), a nascelle and a disc, but it´s not like the Enterprise. Can anyone see this or it´s an illusion?

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see it...
    [​IMG]

9. ralph

imagination?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  10. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see it. Zoomed in 100% then back out, it magically appeared. Cropped screen grab:

[​IMG]

Looking at this img from the side or above the sceen may help.

11. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

I just watched the TOS episode Where No Man Has Gone Before and it dawned on me that this picture appears to be a man, I presume Kirk and or Mitchell, with a ripped Starfleet uniform, just like it was ripped in that episode. Am I alone in that opinion?

12. ralph

imagination, fantasy? ok, it is possible. But if it is a ship, it reminded me a Miranda Class.

[​IMG]

13. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

I enlarged the comic cover and you can definitely see the Enterprise on the left side of the cover headed towards (or coming from) what appears to be a object in the distance shaped just like the Doomsday Machine. Go check it out and enlarge it. The Doomsday Machine object is just above the Enterprise shape. There is no doubt!!

14. Shilliam Watner

I definitely agree. The shirt is torn exactly like it was in the episode with the neck ring intact.

15. Shilliam Watner

That is a Doomsday Machine the arrow is pointing to. Notice the large ring shape maw the arrow points to on the right side of the conical object and see how it tapers to a point on the end. The object just under it to the left is the Enterprise headed towards it or coming from it.

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay, for the record, let's go over everything:

1. Nothing anyone has said to date needs to be taken as gospel truth. Their first concern is making a successful movie, and to the general public, no publicity has happened yet, and won't happen until much closer to the premiere date.

2. It's more likely than not that Cumberbatch's character is an existing character from TOS. After all, Abrams made the whole movie series about known characters. He could have invented all new characters but he didn't, and why? Brand name recognition= butts in seats.

3. What villain has the most, heck any, brand name value? Khan. And that's it, no other Trek villain from TOS has pop culture awareness.

4. But can Khan work as a villain in a two hour movie? Tricky. He will be starting from zero since his backstory is "bad guy frim Eugenics Wars" and that's it. The audience needs to be told: What is the Eugenics Wars? What was Khan's role in it? Why do the charatcers care about this part of their history? Why should the audience care? And by the tme you've gotten through all that blahblahblah, the audience is bored and has gone to the lobby for popcorn.

5. The biggest problem with Khan is: what makes him dangerous? he's just some guy from a previous time period. Is he dangerous because he's super sexy? Super persuasive? That's not the kind of threat that translates well to a summer popcorn movie. But an insane guy with superpowers and glowing eyes, now we're talking!

So, Khan has the advantage of helping promote the movie, but trying to shoehorn him into a fast-paced action movie is problematic. He could be rewritten to make him more action-movie-ready, but why bother? That guy already exists.

Plus the edge of the galaxy = darkness is an easy connection. There's nothing dark about Khan, he's a very upbeat guy, until he gets bitter later on but there's no time in a two hour movie to cover all that.

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The next movie will be even more "cliche action heavy" because the recurring characters have all been introduced so now Abrams is free to just make the kind of staightforward action flick that audiences flock to. That's the nature of the modern movie biz, nothng any of us or Abrams can do about it.

Gary Mitchell is the perfect candidate, not just because he requires very little boring explanation (oh no, his magic superpowers have driven him insane with megalomania!) but because his history with Kirk makes his story personal for Kirk and can help propel Kirk's character growth, which is badly needed for the next movie. Above all, Kirk can't be the same punk kid at the end as at the beginning.

Envision this as a movie trailer. Works perfectly. Action! Danger! Easy to understand!

[yt]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M3qNW66wvWA[/yt]

18. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We already had that. It's why the actors were recast. :rommie:

19. ralph

A character with superpowers would be a god, almost unbeatable. I think Gary Mitchell would be ideal, because he is human, friend of Kirk and Spock, Starfleet officer. With powers, but without being a god, he is a high level villain.

20. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was the neck ring intact?:

[​IMG]