Transformers G1: Favourite moments?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Nov 18, 2013.

1. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Boy! Talk about a tough thread! Transformers The Movie had too many awesome lines as did the series in general now that you mention it. One of my favorite S2 eps was the one where the game hunter is trying to capture Optimus Prime.

Prime (battling a robotic spider): "Don't you know it's dangerous to play with poison, Mrs. Black Widow?"
    Astrotrain (after he and Blitzwing were freed): "Fool! Don't you know never to trust a Decepticon?"
    :rommie:

Also, the "More Than Meets The Eye" opening arc was good as well

Megatron:"Any last words Prime?"
    Optimus: "None you'd want to hear!"

God, those were the days. Transformers had some great dialogue writers and voice actors.
    *nostalgia high*

2. JediKnightButler

we never see him again in the series but one of the characters makes a statement that implies that he was still alive ("I didn't know a ghost could scream like that"- or something to that effect)

3. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First: Starscream's ghost appears again in the Beast Wars series. Second: he wasn't talking about Starscream the decepticon. He was talking about the poster.

On topic, Transformers: the movie has so many memorable moments. That's why it's so great. One of my favorite moments from the cartoon is this:

[​IMG]

Hound: "Ummm, Cliffjumper, maybe we should talk about these feelings of inadequacy you have."

5. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

The Constructicons and the Stunticons were always two of my favorite toy sets, so any episode that featured them was always among my favorites.

Not really anything relating to the actual show, but I remember as a kid I always wondered why the toys would look different from the way the character's were represented onscreen, sometimes extremely so such in the case of Jetfire. Now in his case I know his toy was different because it was based on a different toy line that had come out earlier, but for some others they were pretty wild.

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

A lot of the animated character models were deliberately more humanlike because it was easier to draw and it was felt they would relate to kids better. The molds for many of the toys were drawn from two separate lines (Microchange and Diaclone) and in more than a few instances they had originally been designed to be lifeless piloted vehicles that came with mini-figures. This is why the Ironhide/Ratchet mold was rather funky and the Dinobot and Insecticon molds had those little flipout compartments that didn't seem to serve a specific Transformer function. Megatron's character model was based on an earlier prototype whose transformation was more accurate to what we saw onscreen, and had things like the cannon rotating to the back rather than to the middle as on the final toy.

Additionally, some of the animation errors that cropped had to do with the original toys being in different colors prior to Transformers, and they would sometimes be colored that way by mistake. Ironhide's mold was black, so he occasionally turns black in certain scenes. Poor Bluestreak got the worst of this. His original Diaclone colors were blue with a silver hood, and this version appeared on the box art and the first Transformers catalogs. The cartoon used an alternate Diaclone scheme that was largely black and silver instead, and the toys used a unique all-silver scheme for Transformers. No packaged blue version of the toy has ever been found, but it has become something of a running joke in the fandom. Astrotrain and Perceptor also had well-known prototype color schemes that were different from the final version, and Astrotrain's animated model kept his darker prototype colors. This figure would have had some features not present in the final toy, such as arms that could extend and shrink to fit into the vehicular modes.

Jetfire was a rather unique case, because his mold was licensed from Bandai and Takara (which was Bandai's rival and produced the Japanese Transformers) couldn't legally produce his toy. His character model was heavily altered and renamed Skyfire, and he only made rare appearances because Hasbro didn't want Takara to think they were giving Bandai free publicity. Other notable characters, like Omega Supreme and Sky Lynx, also had their molds taken from other toy lines besides Takara and often they didn't exist in the Japanese continuity for that reason. Same with the Deluxe Insecticons, who have made only rare appearances outside of the original toyline. The comics kept the animation model for Jetfire but called him by that name and gave him an entirely new origin, being a creation of Shockwave.

Swoop is an oddball, in that the other four Dinobots were released as toys in the UK but Swoop's mold wasn't, even though he still appeared regularly in the cartoon and comics. Why that happened, I'm not sure.

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

So Hasbro was stiffing the UK as far as back as the 80s? Shocking.

9. JediKnightButler

10. JediKnightButler

Oops?

11. Silvercrest

No worries. I don't think those posters are very inclined to start posting in-character anyway.

12. Unicron

IDW has done some interesting things with the Starscream/Megatron relationship, and it was actually rather fun watching Megatron chase Starscream in his newer IDW body after he retook command. Prime nearly killed him after a Decepticon assault on Earth and Starscream assumed command, but he secretly always expected Megatron would be back.

13. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

Uhh I'm not sure what's so special about this scene?

14. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

I preferred the first two seasons as well. Starscream/Skywarp/Thundercracker were awesome and solid as a rock so I didn't like their replacements. It was cool how it was Decepticon Air versus Autobot Ground. I even preferred the first two season's opening themes.

15. Silvercrest

The third season has grown on me more over the years despite its problems. Part of it was the new characters with voice acting that was down-to-earth. Rodimus, Ultra Magnus, and Cyclonus in particular weren't nearly as bombastic as their counterparts from the earlier seasons.

Part of it was the shift away from "disguise" alt-modes (which often didn't disguise much) and into things that were more imaginative. C'mon, how often did Astrotrain's alt-mode really fool anyone? Or even Optimus' alt-mode? And how often did Soundwave's alt-mode fool people when it really shouldn't have?

Although as far as exotic designs go, I admit I still can't figure out what Skylynx was supposed to be.

Lastly, I thought the deeper themes such as the Quintessons and getting Galvatron help for his madness were pretty cool, even if they weren't developed that well.

16. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Thanks! That was very interesting and informative at the same time :)

Since you seem to have a lot of knowledge of the toy lines, I'm curious why Devastator is so different from all the other Gestalt toys. With the other ones, you usually had about four vehicles with a fifth larger vehicle that acted as a hub. Most of the connecting bits were built into each robot themselves, reducing the amount of extra pieces you needed.

With Devastator though (as you know) he came with six individual robots and required several connecting pieces to connect them all into Devastator. Until the G2 line came out my Devastator was always missing pieces or broken all together (and I had lost of a few of the connecting pieces). It was just something I was always curious about.

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

^I think that is your answer. If you lost the parts you couldn't combine your Devastator. Even in the original Diaclone line, he was one of two six-in-one combiners. The second one (transforming trains) were not so dependent on multiple parts to combine much like the later five-in-one scramble city types. Devastator was that way because he was one of the first combiners they were designed. The latter ones tried to improve on the flaw you pointed out and probably when they had feedback from Hasbro. It also helps that the swapping thing can be a gimmick of its own. The later Japanese only Six-in-One Breast Force Combiner (ported over partially as Rescue Force in the UK) could combine with no parts other than a head (and weapons).

18. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, it did make the Ultimate Doom seem even more epic, broken up to 15 parts or what ever it was.

I tended to look back on the first season as perfect. when they weren't introducing a new character/toy each episode, but even that season had Dinobots/Jetfire/Insecticons/Constructicons so that nostalgia was somewhat rose tinted. I still find the last episode of the season rather satisfying though. A great season finale.

But as you say UK wise that was essentially where it ended. The videos were an odd glimspe into another world (or rather another country!) where things did carry on, season 3 post movie I really did see most of it 20 years after the original.

The 2nd season of ThunderCats is just as odd too, with its added characters and expanded mythology.

19. Unicron

Devastator's molds existed in Diaclone, and the original color was orange (later used for Generation 2 in some places). The distinctive green color was exclusive for Transformers. The later five-point combiners which became standard are what's known as the "Scramble City" system. When the combining teams were introduced in Japan, Takara made a special episode called Scramble City which was designed to advertise not only them, but Metroplex and Trypticon as well. All of these molds had originally been designed for Diaclone but were never released in that line, and that's why they're designed to fit together as well. Metroplex will actually connect to Decepticon commanders like Onslaught and Motormaster just like Trypticon does, but for obvious reasons that feature wasn't mentioned when the figures were carried over for Transformers.

One of the features somewhat exclusive to the Japanese episode is that because of the design similarities, it's possible for the limb of a combiner to detach and fit into the socket of an enemy combiner if that limb is knocked off or damaged/injured, and thus mess up the whole gestalt robot. It was also assumed that the gestalt forms could rotate their limbs and utilize specific abilities for that individual, but this isn't translated in the best way.

Interestingly enough, there is a concept art of Menasor's character model with the limbs in different positions and wearing Autobot symbols, implying that the Stunticons might have initially been conceived as Autobots in keeping with the ground/air scheme for the factions. Presumably this would mean that Superion would have been a Decepticon, but no other art of this concept has yet surfaced. If you compare the 1985 battle scenes, though, you can see what I mean earlier about differences between the Japanese and American versions. The Japanese version removes the non-Takara molds and puts the Constructicons in their place, along with Hoist and Blitzwing. Swoop is notably absent from the U.S. version this time, but the Japanese remembered. There are also two versions of Tracks (red and blue, the latter is next to the Dinobots) as the result of an apparent error. Red was the alternate Diaclone scheme and may have been intended for the American release, as Tracks is red on the American version, but blue was switched at the last moment. Europe did get the red version. Or maybe that was just Road Rage. :D Japan also recycled some elements for their 1986 package art, featuring the Scramble City characters.

The Combaticons had a whole set of earlier character models, which strangely have bodies based on the toys but heads that aren't, whereas the finished models have toy-accurate heads but the bodies take some liberties. Swindle's final model wound up being rather strange, in that his torso seems clearly designed to transform so the front of the jeep is formed from his waist and feet and the rear/windshield section forms his chest and back. He was consistently animated this way, but his toy does the exact opposite mechanically.

Isn't production continuity fun? :biggrin: Sometimes you run across some very interesting things, like this test image which was seemingly used to evaluate the Pretender concept. They let Twin Twist test drive Waverider's shell apparently.

20. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had to check tfwiki to confirm that you didn't misspell that! :guffaw: