"Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was heavily promoted as taking place between "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" as Christopher pointed out. There were a couple shorts that made it seem like it didn't belong but it was very much meant to be set in the NolanVerse.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The most interesting part of the article for me was the news about the animated shorts featuring Doom Patrol. :bolian:

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

From the linked article:

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, you said "Nolan-inspired" in the post I was responding to, not "actually in the Nolanverse." Indeed, you specifically proposed something inspired by the Nolan movies but toned down, which would pretty much require not being set in the same universe. So I gave you something that fit the parameters you defined, except that it was not toned down.

Anyway, there's some promotional art for Beware the Batman and some of the cartoon shorts in this article:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/10/04/beware-the-batman-animated-series-cartoon-network/

That Batman design is very off-putting. But then, it took me a while to warm up to Timm's design back in the '90s.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Gun-toting Alfred is now even more strange! :lol:

Doesn't Batman who has an active partner (as Alfred is implied to be) who uses guns seemingly against what Batman is somewhat about?

6. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

He's got a top hat and everything.

7. Admiral_Young

Bruce is against using guns. He doesn't care if any one else uses them, although he would prefer them not to and Alfred has military training in his back story. I do have to admit though that shot looks pretty wild! I can't wait to see Professor Pyg! Toad is there too, who in the first run of "Batman and Robin" is the first person that Dick and Damian capture. The design of the costume reminds me of Dick's suit, especially the belt design. Katana looks great.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Gun-toting Alfred is pretty stupid. Let the freaking characters be who they are, for crying out loud.

9. Admiral_Young

Again...Alfred has military service in his back story. He's been shown in the comics as being able to use a rifle. It's not out of character just because some fans are used to seeing him depicted in one certain way most of the time.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

When The Batman was announced, I assumed that it would be in the vein of the Nolanverse, much like how the 1990s animated show was obviously influenced by the Burton movies. I was very surprised that it was so unlike the Nolan movies.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to agree about gun carrying Alfred.
    Really?
    Cause Batman is A)a gun lover B)would tolerate his family friend/caretaker tailing on missions like a Watson.

12. issreliant

issreliant Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

OUTRAGEOUS! They should continue BnB with Aquaman as the head guy.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, that's a bowler hat (aka derby). A top hat is the cylindrical-crowned type worn by the Penguin and the Mad Hatter.

14. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

You just made me spit breakfast all over my screen. Hope you're happy. :)

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I didn't know Alfred was in the Orange Order.

16. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, you learn new things everyday.

17. Admiral_Young

I guess those of you who don't like or are against "gun totting" Alfred haven't read very many Batman comics. If you dislike the notion of this then you'll probably hate "Batman: Earth One" and Geoff Johns take on Alfred.

18. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ yeah, Alfred has shown up quite a few times with double barrel shotgun in hand.

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

We don't know the context, obviously. However, the term "gun-totting" has a certain connotation attached to it as if he is the Punisher or something, not that he will use it infrequently when defending the Batcave. Not helping matters is the that promo image makes Alfred look as if he works with Vincent and Jules from Pulp Fiction.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not quite sure what to make of the image in the link. Definitely alot more abstract than I was expecting, but this is just an early promo image, so I'm gonna try not to make any conclusions based off of it. The one thing I definitely like, is the fact that they seem to be going for some of the more obscure characters, which as a DC newbie is something I enjoy getting to see. Not quite sure what to make of the gun toting Alfred though. I'm pretty sure I've heard that he can be pretty badass in the comics at times, but was he ever really as badass as they're making him looking in the image?