Lost 5x08: "LaFleur"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 4, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

57.6%
  2. Above Average

31.8%
  3. Average

8.2%
  4. Below Average

1.2%
  5. Poor

1.2%
  1. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the series from the start has been about 'What is the Island?'.

An Excellent from me. I like James with Juliet much better than Kate. ZOMG the statue, indeed! My gf lol'd at the eyeliner remark, she had wondered about that herself.

Poor Daniel, it was heartbreaking when he saw Charlotte again as a happy little girl, knowing what happens to her. I wonder where the writers are going with that.

Ugh, two weeks! :scream:

2. Capn Flukie

Hm, why doesn't anything happen in the middle of the island? What's there?

3. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did we? I pride myself on my Lost knowledge but I don't remember that. I'm sure I'll feel stupid when you reply.

EDIT: I should clarify that I gleaned The Arrow's purpose just fine from tonight but I don't recall its function being mentioned explicitly before. [/EDIT]

We do know that Horace was sporting an Arrow jumpsuit in "The Man Behind The Curtain" with the job title "Mathematician" in the 80's as well as in 1992. What that means I dunno.

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Because there are clowns to the left of them, jokers to the right. The war is coming, and no one wants to get stuck in the middle.

5. Capn Flukie

^ so it's where the Frozen Steeler's Wheel is???

6. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stargate joke aside, that's probably the most accurate map of the island I've yet seen. At least to my mind, anyway. One of the entertainment mags put one out awhile ago that was bafflingly implausible.

7. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm interested in why Amy could have a baby and "in the future" women couldn't. Is it related in some way to the number of people who can be on the island at one time? If that number falls below a certain level, the island reincarnates them or causes a boat or plane to crash? Is that why the oceanic 816 survivors are split between times, now that the Ajira survivors are in the "present" and most of the Oceanic are either dead or in the past. This could explain why the oceanic 6 may be split in time, too.

8. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I think Locke and Ben, along with the rest of the Ajira people, are in their "present" time. I.e. not in the 70's with the rest, but back in the same time the plane left and crashed. Only the people who flahsed away on the plane are in the 70's.

9. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I took that as he won't tell Charlotte or something, I thought it had to do something about her.

10. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I think the goal now is first to get everyone back together, and then get everyone back together in the same time.

11. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Who is to say that Locke spends 3 years with the Ajira people? I don't think this will happen. There has already been a 3 year gap for both groups on and off the island now.

12. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I have to say that the music towards the end of the episode was very good too, especially the use of the Oceanic Six theme when "Jim" talks about how he's forgotten about Kate, and the triumphant-yet-sinister (that Michael Giacchino... :lol:) return of Kate's theme at the very end.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

DeafPoet: the opening scene of Season 5, we see Chang in the middle of making an Arrow Orientation Video. "CHANG: Hello. I'm Dr. Marvin Candle, and this is the orientation film for station two, the Arrow. Given your specific area of expertise, you should find it no surprise that this station's primary purpose is to develop defensive strategies and gather intelligence on the island's hostile indigenous population-- "

14. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Oh wait, Richard talked of a truce with his people and the Dharma people. But wasn't it Richards people who had attacked that women and her husband just having a picnic? Looks like they violated the truce first.

15. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Average. I still say time travel is an aspect this show could have seriously done without.

16. Capn Flukie

But why was she out there beyond the sonic fence to begin with? She must have been up to something.

17. AceAceAceAce

AceAceAceAce Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

From another board:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawaret

Tarawet:

...Taweret became seen, very early in Egyptian history, as a deity of protection in pregnancy and childbirth. Pregnant women wore amulets with her name or likeness to protect their pregnancies. Her image could also be found on knives made from hippopotamus ivory, which would be used as wands in rituals to drive evil spirits away from mothers and children...

[​IMG]

18. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

And she has four toes. Neat. :bolian:

19. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: There is that. But, what I mean is that at least the characters had some identifiable goal, the show had a direction. First, they wanted to be rescued. The island had weird stuff but mostly they just wanted off. Then, the O6 were rescued but then had to get back. Now, they're in this limbo where they want to be on the island, they are, but living in the past. Do they just want to stay put or what?

I think the show will provide the next major goal soon. That'll probably become more clear at least.

But you're right, nothing is ever clear in this show. I guess in someways it seems more unclear even though some mysteries have been explained.

Mr Awe

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I gave it above average. For the most part, it was simply set up. But I did a lot of thinking and I was surprised how much this episode brought second season back into focus. Not only did we finally get to the see the statue, but we get to see the Dharma Initiative again. To be perfectly honest, after Man Behind the Curtain, I had assumed that the Dharma initiative's story was done. But it appears there's more to see, which is kinda neat, since it draws the second season back into things.