So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

Star Wars: Tarkin.

2. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm hoping to pick this one up next week as a wedding anniversary present from my wife.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Up next is Authority (the second Southern Reach book), then Tarkin.

4. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I just read two anthologies that I have stories in, but I hadn't read the remainder of: Stargate SG-1/Atlantis: Far Horizons, which has ten stories, five SG-1 and five SGA; and With Great Power, a collection of superhero stories.

Both are excellent, especially WGP, which doesn't have a dud in the bunch, just some great twists on superhero fiction. As for Far Horizons, I especially loved Diana Dru Botsford's "Perceptions" (which has SG-1 dealing with Janet Frasier's death in "Heroes") and Sally Malcolm's "Off Balance" (which picks up on what "young O'Neill," played by Michael Welch in "Fragile Balance," is doing nine years later).

5. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Good timing for this post, looks like; after dropping off my ballot, I spent today rereading Articles of the Federation. Seemed an appropriate choice for today, and any excuse to read it again. :D

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up the last couple issue of Serenity: Better Days over the last couple days, and I started SW: Legacy Volume 4: Alliance.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Martian by Andy Weir. Looks like it's going to be a quick read.

8. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

All done with 'Disavowed' by David Mack! Took slightly longer than normal to read, the story line was very engaging, which encouraged me to slow down a little. I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment. Bashir has become so much less annoying over the years. The Breen characters were very interestingly portrayed although their personalities didn't drive the plot, the attention to detail was nice.

I thought MU Picard was pretty interesting...without Starfleet, he never attended the academy, never got into the fight portrayed in Tapestry, yet he still becomes a starship captain. The character did seem to lack the confidence of the 'regular' Picard, which I thought was a subtle way to write his character. Well done Mr. Mack.

I'm not sure what I'm reading next.

9. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's funny, I had the opposite reaction. I kept turning the pages, saying "one more chapter" until I had finished it over the course of two evenings, leaving myself saying "Well, crap. Now what?" :D

10. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I'm pretty easy to please. A cheap literary date.

11. Kertrats47

^ Opposite, I should say, in that I also really enjoyed the story and found it incredibly engaging, which made me read it all the faster. It's kind of sad, if I don't like a story that much, it takes me ages to slog through it (but I can't just stop reading it, because... well, I really don't know), while if I love a story, I blow through it. This means, of course, that I spend more time on literature I enjoy to a lesser degree than I spend on books that I adore!

First world problems, I suppose.

12. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I misinterpreted your post as saying that you didn't like the novel. Totally my fault, it's pretty clear reading back that you meant the opposite!

When I really like a novel, I slow down and savor it. If the story isn't really engaging me, I kinda rush through it.

13. Kertrats47

No worries, I can see how it could go either way, which is why I clarified :)

Here's my review of Section 31: Disavowed. I was definitely blown away by it!

Right now, I'm reading Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland, as well as TNG #45: Intellivore by Diane Duane.

14. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I decided to start on the Terok Nor novel 'Dawn of Eagles' by S.D. Perry. I've read this series on and off, I think I managed to semi-randomly choose the next novel in line from the last one I read. They don't seem super dependent on linearity so I'm not too worried if I'm reading out of order.

I think the writing in this novel is pretty darn good. I'm especially enjoying the expansion on the DS9 episodes Profit and Lace [edit: Profit and Loss] (Quark and Natima) and The Begotten (Odo and Dr. Mora) as well as some other little tidbits from the TV series that were never expanded upon. I think those episodes will have some extra meaning the next time I watch them. Kira's role so far in this novel is kinda inconsequential to me in that sense, her past is such a big part of the TV series and expanded on in several novels I've read that it doesn't seem like any new light is being shed on her character. However, she is undeniably an important character who can't be ignored in a novel like this.

All in all, great read so far!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That was "Profit and Loss." "Profit and Lace" was the horrible 6th-season episode where Quark was sex-changed. As it happens, KRAD just reviewed it for Tor.com.

16. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Oops, thanks! To be honest, I enjoy the awkwardness of Profit and Lace. I've watched both within the last couple days, I mixed em up. Understandable error, I think.

Very funny review, Keith! In my opinion, there is so much wrong with that episode that it becomes right. Every point made in the review is true, especially how it seems like the message is a statement against (Ferengi) misogyny until the final scene contradicts it. I see that tor.com gives me a space to comment, I may elaborate there.

17. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reading Q Are Cordially Uninvited... and Evangelical Catholicism.

18. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: Voyager: Acts of Contrition by Kirsten Beyer.

I then re-read Star Trek: SCE: Hard Crash by Christie Golden.

I'm now reading Star Trek: The Next Generation: Q Are Cordially Uninvited... by Rudy Josephs.

19. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I 'm reading Venus by Ben Bova I like how space exploration being risky and dangerous is being dealt with in this book. Especially a really risky spacewalk reminds me of some the ones done in real life on the space station.

20. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

It has a lot of pages :)